Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E46 M3 (2001-2006)

E46 M3 (2001-2006)

Old 04-27-2013, 04:32 AM

Mein Auto: E46 M3 CSL
As I said in my "report", it is good that the CSL did not come with a choice of transmission. Because to me, that would have been a difficult choice.

Sounds like manual would be the better choice for you. I have not explored the possibility of changing an SMG M3 into a manual one, but I am sure there is someone in the wonderful world of www who has already done that too. In the conversion, you will get substantial weight savings as well.

Anssi
Old 04-28-2013, 06:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 M3
@ cavi mike, to be honest i have a smg. I would say if i could turn back the hands of time the regular standard manual transmission would be my choice. But as a SMG owner it just adds character to the car. Since a small kid I've wanted a M3. I've owned mustangs, camaros, and luxury cars, and nothing compares to my M3. The fact that BMW set the bar so high makes these cars so precious. To me its the JACK OF ALL TRADES, not exactly the fastest off the line but quick enough, not exactly the most comfortable ride but i like the feedback, it seats 4, has a nice trunk, and heated seats. Do i like the rasp? Its ok but thats just a reminder of when the torque is kicking in lolololol. Because of this car I actually enjoy driving again. I think i even drive slower most of the time and let everyone pass me up. The handling of this car is just crazy, i find myself wanting to drive and carve corners when ever possible. This is when i like the SMG the best because i can focus on driving and not having to shift with a clutch pedal. If i still had my camaro ss hands down i gotta have a stick. But SMG owners are risk takers somewhat. We got a bad rep for something that wasnt totally perfect or was buggy. My car was acting up when i first bought it but come to find out it was a software update!!! I dont know the exact definition of hard core driving i just know that when im having fun my heart rate is going up and the funny science is when that BMW "RASP" kicks-in i automatically smile lololololol. I didnt write all this to convince your about a tranny, but regardless we are owners of the Ultimate Driving Machine hands down!!!!!! SMG owners are more on edge about the pump that assist us in our scheduled or unscheduled adrenline pumps lolololol. You want her to shift nice and smooth we just adjust her on a lower setting, if you want her to "BANG" you put her on number 5 and above. The crazy thing is i still feel connected to the car as i drive and thats the important thing.
Old 04-19-2014, 11:28 PM

Mein Auto:
So the SMG M3 does not have a clutch foot pedal?

I'm having my car converted from SMG to Manual Stick. It's almost done! I can't wait to pick it up....

Last edited by ianE46M3SMG; 05-24-2014 at 10:23 PM.