Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 03-07-2012, 10:55 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 740iL
Nitrous? Maybe?

There are other things that need to be done, but you know how research goes…

Does anyone know if this car will take a small shot of Nitrous without problems. If I'm not mistaken, the M62 has forged pistons from the factory, but I don't know about the stability of the rods, and those are alway my major concern when adding power. I don't want a lot, because (lets face it) transmissions are expensive. But I would like to add a little.

The supercharger is out of the question. For one, it cost more than the car, so no.

What size fogger might do the trick? This isn't a race car, but when I get into it, I would like to compensate for that "damn, she's a heavy ******" feeling we all get. I'm thinking 50 temporary HP would feel nice, not damage the engine, and not need refills too often. But I'd like to hear from E38 owners that have had their cars longer than me. I've only had mine just over a year, and I'm very confident that the engine can take some added power. I just need to keep the transmission safe and not snap a rod.

Theoretically, what can it take?
Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 03-07-2012, 11:22 AM

Just to add, I've read tons on people considering different options. I'd like to state up front that I'm not Supercharging, I'm not even thinking about turbos, and that's considering that i'm pretty great with turbos. And I'm not paying Dinan anything. I don't know who they think they are, but I can live without them.

This is purely for nitrous consideration. I would prefer to start with a fogger and then move up to direct, if possible.

Has anyone done this successfully? Any testimonials… major concerns…
Old 11-03-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: GTI
Quote:
Originally Posted by clifford850r View Post
Just to add, I've read tons on people considering different options. I'd like to state up front that I'm not Supercharging, I'm not even thinking about turbos, and that's considering that i'm pretty great with turbos. And I'm not paying Dinan anything. I don't know who they think they are, but I can live without them.

This is purely for nitrous consideration. I would prefer to start with a fogger and then move up to direct, if possible.

Has anyone done this successfully? Any testimonials… major concerns…
Just made a pretty long post about this in another similar thread. Not looking to dig up old articles on here, but I feel like it is one of these unanswered questions that will be brought up and just kicked under the couch.

I keep hearing mixed things about Dinan, like they resell the 1995 stock intake manifold labelled as aftermarket. Such bull**** if that is true, a junkyard would charge a lot less than $1399.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:30 PM

Yeah, they slap the non-VANOS manifold on the VANOS engine and voila… extra top end power. BTW, you can get the non-VANOS manifold on eBay for 150 or less.
Old 11-08-2012, 01:34 PM

I'm thinking that there's no way this engine shouldn't be able to take 50-80 shot. If I red correctly the M62 has forget pistons out of the box. I would also like to hear more about water injection if anyone has done that. I'm not finding much.