Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 11-06-2012, 01:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Thanksgiving Itinerary

I'm bored and getting tired of waiting, so I figured I'd throw my Thanksgiving trip plans up to see if anyone had any thoughts/suggestions, even though there is not much that can be changed at this point other than our plans in Munich.

11/19- Flying out- LCH-IAH-NYC-Heathrow, London
11/20, 8:30 AM - arriving at Heathrow Airport, London
- Taking the underground to a Bed and Breakfast to drop bags and try to fit as much of London in 1 day as we can. Goals- Harrods, Buckingham Palace, Millineum bridge, St. Pauls, a great place for fish and chips, Piccadilly circus, British Museum, ride the London Eye at sunset.
11/21, 9:30 AM - Chunnel to Paris. Drop bags, head to Eiffel Tower for lunch. See what else we can fit in for the rest of the day and next morning. Probably do a Hop on Hop of Bus tour.
11/22, 3:00 PM - Train to Munich
11/23- Pick up day. Pick up is scheduled for 4:30 PM. Our plan is to make it to the Welt around 11:00 and do the factory tour, then spend the rest of the day there until the pickup. (We finally decided that we aren't going to do any driving on this trip, we'll save that for our next ED (in the summer))
11/24,11/25- Just not sure yet. We've had plenty of great suggestions, but I'm just not sure how burnt out we'll be at this point. We might do a day trip to get out of the city (by train), we'll probably just go touring around the city these two days.
11/26, 5:00 PM- Fly to Amsterdam. Staying at one of the in-terminal hotels for the night.
11/27- Flying home. AMS-IAH-LCH

-I spent a summer in London about 10 years ago, but this will be my wife's first trip across the pond. I've never been to Germany.
-Flying into London was based more on using United Miles than anything else. We had 200,000 miles and were pretty hell bent on on getting a first class trip. London was what was available on the short notice (60 days) that we booked the trip on. We did discover that your international fees that you pay are based on which country you fly out of, and it is must cheaper to fly out of Germany than it is to fly out of most other countries.
-Please let me know anymore "Munich" things to do. Most trips I read about involve people getting out of town so they can drive their new ride.
-Just 13 more days!

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Ads by Google
Old 11-07-2012, 07:47 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
Thanksgiving Itinerary

Thats a quick trip to hit so many big cities, but it sounds fun. A little advice on Germany- most everything closes on Sundays (except for some cafes and restaurants). So if you plan on doing any shopping in Munich, do it on Sat.
I've been to Munich a few times and would recommend going to some of the museums there (if museums are your thing). And a day trip to Salzburg is easy to do and possibly something to do on Sun. They have a large castle there thats interesting to visit. Also, the Christmas markets will be open in Austria before Germany (and those are open on Sunday) so it might be worth a visit.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriswg75 View Post
Thats a quick trip to hit so many big cities, but it sounds fun. A little advice on Germany- most everything closes on Sundays (except for some cafes and restaurants). So if you plan on doing any shopping in Munich, do it on Sat.
I've been to Munich a few times and would recommend going to some of the museums there (if museums are your thing). And a day trip to Salzburg is easy to do and possibly something to do on Sun. They have a large castle there thats interesting to visit. Also, the Christmas markets will be open in Austria before Germany (and those are open on Sunday) so it might be worth a visit.
Thanks for the info. I hadn't heard about Sundays in Munich. I assume this means most all museums and such are closed also. I'm going to start looking into a Sunday trip to Austria too. Thanks.

2013 BMW 535i ED-11/23/12 Redelivery- 1/12/13
1978 BMW 320i (paused project)
2009 BMW Z4sdrive35i (ret.)
1995 BMW M3 (ret.)
1987 BMW 325i (ret.)
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 AM

Mein Auto: Mini Cooper
Actually, you should be ok with most of the bigger museums being open on Sunday (including the BMW Museum). Its the stores (both for goods as well as food) that probably won't be open.
I worked in Germany about 10 years ago and have traveled back several times since, and I always factor in the closings on Sunday into my itineraries.