Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-13-2012, 12:44 AM
PJSD PJSD is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 43
Mein Auto: 09 335i M Sport Coupe
Radar detectors? Laser jammers?

So here in Cali radar detectors are legal. I have the Passport 9500i (for about 4 years now). I haven't had a ticket since 7/31/2007!! Never got a ticket in my 09 335i coupe that i had for 3 years. And i do a lot of highway driving at 85 mph+. Saved me bunch of times, and paid for itself many times over.

I'm considering laser jammer installs or other installs for my '12 535i. What are you guys/gals using? Traditional "suction to the windshield" radar detectors, or something more sophisticated?

Check out this link for an example of what i'm talking about.

Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 05-13-2012, 01:51 AM
djsilo djsilo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Bronx, NY
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 274
Mein Auto: 2012 550i xdrive
I was thinking of this system actually. I haven't set aside funds for this because I drive the same routes all the time, and I know where the cops typically hide. I actually stopped hanging my 8500 Passport by Escort because of this same reason. However, I have read a great deal about this system and "Radar Roy's" evaluations (etc.), and this system seems legit. Based on what I've experienced, Passport Radar detecors are outstanding. From what I've read, this system is outstanding. Hope this helps somewhat, pleasse post photos if you install.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:54 AM
grizbo's Avatar
grizbo grizbo is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MO
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 73
Mein Auto: 550ix + 911tt
What's the total cost including install?
__________________
97 540i (sold)
03 M3 (sold)
06 E55 (sold)
07 911 tt
12 550 ix (ED 2/20/12) DGII,oyster/black nappa,Msport,zcv,zls,zps,6nr,5dl,hud,5dl,ceramics
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:19 AM
Die Wolfe's Avatar
Die Wolfe Die Wolfe is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Northern California
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,053
Mein Auto: '12 535i Msport/'13 X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSD View Post
So here in Cali radar detectors are legal. I have the Passport 9500i (for about 4 years now). I haven't had a ticket since 7/31/2007!! Never got a ticket in my 09 335i coupe that i had for 3 years. And i do a lot of highway driving at 85 mph+. Saved me bunch of times, and paid for itself many times over.

I'm considering laser jammer installs or other installs for my '12 535i. What are you guys/gals using? Traditional "suction to the windshield" radar detectors, or something more sophisticated?

Check out this link for an example of what i'm talking about.

They're actually ILLEGAL in California, so be careful dude...the wrong cop in the wrong mood can cite for endless petty violations.
__________________
2013 BMW X5///M
2012 BMW 535i M Sport
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:02 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I just sold my old laser/lidar gun to a cop in San Diego on ebay, so watch out, there's one more Ultralyte 200 on the streets.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:07 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by PJSD View Post

The setup on that car won't jam anything. I guarantee I could capture his speed with my Prolite+ from as far as 2000 feet.

Laser Jammers typically don't work so my recommendation is to drive slowly. You have to spend a few grand to get a setup that works.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 05-13-2012 at 09:09 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:15 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
BTW for those who live in states where shifters are illegal, there is work underway on a fiber optic solution which can channel the optical transponders non visible light pulse into your grille and headlights using fiber optics, so there will be no visible device on the car. Obviously this approach will be very expensive, but I would imagine it would be very effective.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 05-13-2012 at 09:45 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 05-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Artur-F10 Artur-F10 is offline
Registered User
Location: Los Angeles, CA
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 29
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
My friend in NY has this jammers and it works
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 05-13-2012, 02:21 PM
JRDM JRDM is offline
Registered User
Location: SO CAL
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 21
Mein Auto: 0000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
You have to spend a few grand to get a setup that works.
What system do you suggest?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Munich77 Munich77 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Washington DC
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 3,025
Mein Auto: 2014 E550 4matic
Go to the radardetector.net forums. The best ones out there are laser interceptors I think - for protection you will have to install them on the front.
__________________
2008 535 xi, space grey, black dakota leather, premium package, sport package, cold weather package, nav, folding seats, PDC

BMW CCA Member

Last edited by Munich77; 05-13-2012 at 06:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 05-13-2012, 06:29 PM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
Been through this process multiple times...
all my past bimmers and my 911 all have valentine one custom installed with rearview mirror display and quad m47 blinders for laser shifters... i have received only one ticket in 8 years using this set up and it was from a crooked cop that was full of ****... most often you can see them looking at their error message on their guns.....
only new GT i opted to change because i am getting a little sick of the amount of falsies from valentines and in general while i do miss the arrows the valentine technology is outdated.

for the new GT i installed the escort 9500ci with rear view mirror display and the controller flush mounted in the dash to the left of the steering wheel where the driver assistant package buttons go the fit and convenience are perfect there and i like the ability to fine tune the 9500ci and i am loving the lack of false alarms yet the incredible range and accuracy of the detector... in addition i stayed with quad M47 shifters from blinder .. i like blinder better then laser intercepter, which i don't think are as weather ready and i know people that have had water get into the LI's..... my installers amazing and has taken apart the shifters to know exactly where the light receptors are and has them incredibly installed in my front grill...the front is fully stealth you cant see anything...the back two laser shifters are mounted to the left and right of the plate..

My installer performs a million tests and all is perfect...in states where they are illegal blinders can be converted to parking assist mode and shifting disabled... i have a kill switch for all right next to the controller for those iffy situations.....

you can see pics of my install on the GT forum..

figure 3K++ for a job a done right...

good luck...

mp
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport clock is ticking

2015 335ix GT Msport (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 05-13-2012, 07:16 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
Been through this process multiple times...
all my past bimmers and my 911 all have valentine one custom installed with rearview mirror display and quad m47 blinders for laser shifters... i have received only one ticket in 8 years using this set up and it was from a crooked cop that was full of ****... most often you can see them looking at their error message on their guns.....
only new GT i opted to change because i am getting a little sick of the amount of falsies from valentines and in general while i do miss the arrows the valentine technology is outdated.

for the new GT i installed the escort 9500ci with rear view mirror display and the controller flush mounted in the dash to the left of the steering wheel where the driver assistant package buttons go the fit and convenience are perfect there and i like the ability to fine tune the 9500ci and i am loving the lack of false alarms yet the incredible range and accuracy of the detector... in addition i stayed with quad M47 shifters from blinder .. i like blinder better then laser intercepter, which i don't think are as weather ready and i know people that have had water get into the LI's..... my installers amazing and has taken apart the shifters to know exactly where the light receptors are and has them incredibly installed in my front grill...the front is fully stealth you cant see anything...the back two laser shifters are mounted to the left and right of the plate..

My installer performs a million tests and all is perfect...in states where they are illegal blinders can be converted to parking assist mode and shifting disabled... i have a kill switch for all right next to the controller for those iffy situations.....

you can see pics of my install on the GT forum..

figure 3K++ for a job a done right...

good luck...

mp
Great post.

I personally would not recommend a Blinder M47 on a BMW. I have yet to see an impenetrable Blinder setup on a BMW. I would also say Laser Interceptor quality is rock solid, having used them on 2 successive cars, living in a tropical climate with torrential rain.

The reason the LI is better is because it uses laser diodes which are much brighter and higher output than the LED diodes used by Blinder. My setup Quad HP is powerful enough for HGVs. I believe in overspecification.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:12 PM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
Agree with the ablities of the old m25s from blinder but really love the m47s so far....

Havent looked at li's recently... Had them on one of my x5s and on 2005 911 turbo.. Had roblems with water both times so i switched to blinder....

Stealth you got me into the escort 9500ci and i love it thanks by the way..
Mp
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport clock is ticking

2015 335ix GT Msport (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 05-13-2012, 09:54 PM
RNarang RNarang is offline
Registered User
Location: Connecticut
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 64
Mein Auto: 2011 550xi
Another vote for the laser interceptor. It has saved me dozens of times and seems to be very effective at jamming laser. I use a Valentine One for radar and laser detection.

The interceptor firmware can be updated for free when they release new software and Valentine Research has a firmware upgrade program for approx $150. Both are tops for detection and countermeasures. With the ability to install fw upgrades, they will be current for many years to come. Be careful with the jammers in California - I believe they have laws against laser jamming. Radar jammer are illegal in all states.

http://www.laser-interceptorusa.com/

Last edited by RNarang; 05-13-2012 at 10:01 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:20 AM
ObeyMyFast ObeyMyFast is offline
Registered User
Location: San Diego/Berkeley
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 9
Mein Auto: F10 550i
http://www.radarbusters.com/californ...awsarticle.cfm


Detectors are legal in CA.
__________________
TS F10 550i
-Dinan Stg 1
-30% tint
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 05-14-2012, 10:50 AM
ksoze ksoze is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 607
Mein Auto: 2011 E93 M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObeyMyFast View Post
Correct, but jammers are not which is what the poster was referring to.
__________________
2011 E93 M3 Convertible JB/FR | 2002 E46 M3 Convertible | 2002 E53 X5 3.0 | 2000 E39 540i | 1998 E36 M3 | 1988 E28 M5 | 1987 E28 528i
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:29 AM
bdgtexas bdgtexas is offline
Registered User
Location: Dallas, TX
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 41
Mein Auto: 2007 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
Great post.

I personally would not recommend a Blinder M47 on a BMW. I have yet to see an impenetrable Blinder setup on a BMW. I would also say Laser Interceptor quality is rock solid, having used them on 2 successive cars, living in a tropical climate with torrential rain.

The reason the LI is better is because it uses laser diodes which are much brighter and higher output than the LED diodes used by Blinder. My setup Quad HP is powerful enough for HGVs. I believe in overspecification.
Stealth, I would be interested in hearing more about your set up and where you mounted things. I see you went with the Bel over the escort, any particular reason? They appear similar. What is an HGV? Finally in your sig you have a Zaon MRX, this appears to be for planes....?
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 06-05-2012, 09:41 AM
SuperTerp SuperTerp is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DMV (DC, MD, VA)
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 3,226
Mein Auto: m4now M5M3 550 760 335RIP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpress View Post
..

My installer performs a million tests and all is perfect...in states where they are illegal blinders can be converted to parking assist mode and shifting disabled... i have a kill switch for all right next to the controller for those iffy situations.....
who was your installer? I might make a trip of it?

I had LI send me some dealer names but both have neg reviews online
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 06-05-2012, 07:42 PM
mpress mpress is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: white plains ny
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 416
Mein Auto: 09 X5 4.8
http://www.technik1.com/index2.php

ask for gus...tell him michael press sent ya...
great guys great shop, real attention to detail..and great follow up...
this is the third car they have done for me..
mp
__________________
HP=s

2012 GT 550ix Msport clock is ticking

2015 335ix GT Msport (the wife)
09 C4S
61 356 roadster
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 06-06-2012, 08:17 AM
Mr. Doug Mr. Doug is offline
Registered User
Location: Cleveland, OH
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: 2011 535i
I have that system in my 2011 535i. It was installed by BMW Cleveland (where all of the above mentioned technologies are NOT illegal) and I WILL NOT have another car without this system. It's saved me more than a dozen times. Not that I was really going THAT fast, but much like in Golf...a point is a point.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 06-06-2012, 12:12 PM
MSgtMel's Avatar
MSgtMel MSgtMel is offline
Familienwappen
Location: nicht zu hause
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 630
Mein Auto: '11 535xi, '14 X1 28xi
You know guys I like to push the envelope as much as the next guy, but there is an ROI here that to me doesn't pay. It's called the FCC, their rules outlaw all jammers of any kind and carry first offense fines of up to $11,000 and possible jail time, second/multiple offenses can go as high as $75,000 + poss. jail. $11K pays a lot of fines to say nothing of the cost of a decent installation of good equipement. Just IMHO.
__________________

Wir koennen alles. Ausser Hochdeutsch
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 06-06-2012, 12:21 PM
milepig milepig is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 431
Mein Auto: 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
You know guys I like to push the envelope as much as the next guy, but there is an ROI here that to me doesn't pay. It's called the FCC, their rules outlaw all jammers of any kind and carry first offense fines of up to $11,000 and possible jail time, second/multiple offenses can go as high as $75,000 + poss. jail. $11K pays a lot of fines to say nothing of the cost of a decent installation of good equipement. Just IMHO.
Here's a link:

http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/jammer-enforcement
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSgtMel View Post
You know guys I like to push the envelope as much as the next guy, but there is an ROI here that to me doesn't pay. It's called the FCC, their rules outlaw all jammers of any kind and carry first offense fines of up to $11,000 and possible jail time, second/multiple offenses can go as high as $75,000 + poss. jail. $11K pays a lot of fines to say nothing of the cost of a decent installation of good equipement. Just IMHO.
You are barking up the wrong tree.

The jammers people are referring to here are not radar jammers but laser transceivers.

A bit of education:
1) FCC only regulates certain radio frequencies. K band, KA band and X band are regulated FCC frequencies. It is a felony to jam these radio frequencies.
2) There are no jammers commercially available that jam speed enforcement radio frequencies. Even if they did exist, such a device would require vast amounts of power and likely give you cancer. Brute force jamming a directional antenna is not easy.
3) Laser/lidar speed enforcement devices are not on an FCC regulated frequency but typically use infrared or other non visible light bands. Since it is not radio but light it is not regulated.
4) The devices that I and others own are not actually jammers. A jammer broadcasts white noise to block all communication in a band. The laser transceiver simply responds to an infrared pulse with another infrared pulse. It has a receiver and a light emitting diode. Exactly the same principle as an infrared transceiver you may use in your home to improve the range of your remote control. So when a cop shoots an infrared pulse at me, my car shoots an infrared pulse back which says nothing to see here. One the cop stops shooting the car stops responding. It is not jamming. It is responding with Infrared LEDs on an unregulated light frequency.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 06-06-2012 at 12:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 06-06-2012, 01:04 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,577
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by milepig View Post
Notice the page says it prohibits devices which interfere with Cellular and PCD frequencies, Police Radar, GPS and Wifi.

These are FCC regulated frequencies.

It doesn't say anything about infrared beams.

If they chose to regulate infrared beams, they would have to ban:
1) Infiniti's Laser Cruise Control
2) Most remote control extenders
3) Heat Lamps
4) Xenon Headlights (yes these interfere with lidar too so if you want a few seconds drive with them on).
5) Most red LED lamps.
__________________

2014 BMW///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
2015 Jaguar F-Type R Coupe
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 06-06-2012, 01:08 PM
dealio's Avatar
dealio dealio is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: DC
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 193
Mein Auto: E90 335xi
The FCC does not give a crap about lasers or infrared devices, they do care about radio frequencies (the RA in RADAR stands for RAdio).

"freakin lazers" are regulated by the FDA not the FCC.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
4) The devices that I and others own are not actually jammers. A jammer broadcasts white noise to block all communication in a band. The laser transceiver simply responds to an infrared pulse with another infrared pulse. It has a receiver and a light emitting diode. Exactly the same principle as an infrared transceiver you may use in your home to improve the range of your remote control. So when a cop shoots an infrared pulse at me, my car shoots an infrared pulse back which says nothing to see here. One the cop stops shooting the car stops responding. It is not jamming. It is responding with Infrared LEDs on an unregulated light frequency.
nitpicking a bit..

it is technically jamming as your are still deliberately using and generating a signal to disrupt another.

a barrage jammer is what you describe as a true jammer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrage_jamming

there are mnay other "smarter" jamming techniques that do not just transmit noise.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms