Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > European Delivery

European Delivery
The place to share your experiences and tips related to "ED"... View the ED Wiki -- View the Pick-Up Date Calendar -- Add Your Pick-Up Date to the Calendar

Old 03-11-2013, 06:59 PM
IntarWeb Stalker

Mein Auto: 2013 335xi M-Sport
Phone and Sim Card

I am going to Germany and Switzerland for my ED and would like to get a SIM card for my Droid 4. I'd like to get a data plan (google maps) with that as well.

What do you fine folks recommend?

Droid 4
Verizon

Because I can.
-
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwinter View Post
I agree with furby
Quote:
Originally Posted by guerilla twang View Post
Hahahaha, I like you furb, you like to live dangerously.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorCook View Post
I started to google to find a picture to match furby's suggestion to Gia, but it quickly became clear it was an inappropriate search to conduct at work.
Ads by Google
Old 03-11-2013, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: '13 E92 M3, '01 E46 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post
I am going to Germany and Switzerland for my ED and would like to get a SIM card for my Droid 4. I'd like to get a data plan (google maps) with that as well.
Verizon's international data plan with SIM is $25/100MB which is doable if you're not spending a ton of time beyond casual emails and light data activities. They will ship you a SIM and you can pop it in on your trip. Verizon sends you a text message every 100mb of data you use.

Option 2 which is more expensive overall but less restrictive on data consumption is iphonetrip.com. Looking at the cost of data though, you need to use a lot compared to the Verizon plan to justify the cost.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 14' F31 328xi (ED)
Quote:
Originally Posted by furby076 View Post

What do you fine folks recommend?

Droid 4
Verizon
Check this forum for suggested prepaid SIMs.

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/europe/
Old 03-12-2013, 07:03 AM
Spartanburg, SC native

Mein Auto: 2010 E90
I just did this traveling to Europe and Tokyo recently. I used the free Vonage app for calling (calling landlines is free and any cellphone number incoming/you call is free if they have the app installed) Otherwise, vonage rates are going to be much better than your default carrier. It uses WIFI or your data plan to make calls. The downside is incoming calls not from vonage are expensive.

I have At&t and their international Data / text plans are prorated so for a week trip I spent about $20 for 100mb of data and 50 texts.

Regarding third party sims,
Rebelfone is an option I have used (calls are cheap around $0.25/min) but texts and data can be expensive. Your phone must be unlocked to use a non-carrier sim. They have an option to give you a US number (since the sim is going to be a european number) making it easier / free for others to call you.

Bottom line, you have to figure out are you going to be calling out a lot / expecting tons of incoming calls / texting / using data, etc. to determine the best option.

After doing this about a dozen times over the past few years, having data is key. I use texts to plan calls and use facetime / skype over wifi when needed.

Current:
E90 335i | Jet Black | Black | Premium | Sport | 6spd

Retired:
E90 328i | ED 2.16.10 | PCD 4.9.10 | Space Grey | Saddle | Premium | Sport | 6spd | Logic7 | iDrive | Xenons | Sirius
2010 E90 ED Write-up 02.16.10

Last edited by gt0279a; 03-12-2013 at 07:09 AM.
Old 03-12-2013, 08:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 E92 335is
I'm in the same boat as Furby. Based on what I've been able to find, it seems like prepaid SIM's cater either to prepaid data or prepaid voice. I'm looking for mainly data, but the ability to call and confirm hotels and such if needed. It's starting to look like my best bet may be to get one of these data SIM's on a network that allows voip and use Skype to make any necessary calls. Tchibo seems to be highly recommended for data. http://prepaid-wireless-internet-acc...rmany+-+Tchibo

When looking at these plans that are prepaid, but provide a subscription, say EU 9.95/30 days for up to 500MB, do these continue to renew each month until your top up amount is used up, or do you have to cancel the subscription somehow? I don't want to inadvertently keep renewing a data plan in Germany after I get back.

I plan to use the sim in an old AT&T iPhone 3G that I will either have unlocked or jailbreak myself.
Old 03-12-2013, 09:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M-Sport 6 speed
TravellCell (http://www.travelcell.com/blackberry/) offers an unlimited blackberry data for $5 per day for rental of their simcard. I was able even to stream music without any issues.
Call rates are 49c incoming and 89c for outgoing for some EU countries.
12/04/2002 ED - 330i SGY 6SPD
Old 03-12-2013, 10:20 AM

You best bet is to get a local prepaid SIM when you are in Germany and Switzerland. The prepaid SIMs can be easily purchased at many airport kiosks.

Here's a description of all the prepaid SIMs in Germany:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/germany.html

Here's one for Switzerland:
http://www.prepaidgsm.net/en/switzerland.html

Click on the link next to Prepaid Offer for each carrier to see detailed descriptions, including prices for the various data plans.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Yukon
I may just suck it up and use my verizon global plan. I am taking iPhone 5 and 3rd generation iPad. We will use iPad when wifi connection is available. When it is not, and we really need to check an email/look something up, the verizon plan is $25 for 100 MB. I figure if we are careful, we will stay under 200 MB. Phone calls are $1 per minute and texts are .50 for outgoing and .05 for incomming. Probably will just make calls when wifi/facetime is available. So, assuming we use non-wifi data very infrequently and phone calls only in case of emergency - est. cost is 50-100 bucks for the week. I think I would consider getting a local sim card, but most stores will be closed the first two days I arive (easter sunday/monday). Am I missing a way better option?

2006 330i - ED
Ordered - April 8, 2006 (1st BMW )
Scheduled for Production - May 1, 2006
ED pick up date - June 9, 2006
ED drop off (Munich) - June 18, 2006
ReDelivery - July 27, 2006
Old 03-12-2013, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwesq View Post
I may just suck it up and use my verizon global plan. I am taking iPhone 5 and 3rd generation iPad. We will use iPad when wifi connection is available. When it is not, and we really need to check an email/look something up, the verizon plan is $25 for 100 MB. I figure if we are careful, we will stay under 200 MB. Phone calls are $1 per minute and texts are .50 for outgoing and .05 for incomming. Probably will just make calls when wifi/facetime is available. So, assuming we use non-wifi data very infrequently and phone calls only in case of emergency - est. cost is 50-100 bucks for the week. I think I would consider getting a local sim card, but most stores will be closed the first two days I arive (easter sunday/monday). Am I missing a way better option?
Limit your use of data the first two days (when the stores are expected to be closed) to only when WiFi is available. Get a prepaid SIM for the remainder of your week there. I think it's important to have a way to make calls, especially emergency ones, when you are doing ED. I remember reading one OP who had a lot of problems with his vehicle and he had to use his mobile phone quite frequently.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 GMC Yukon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktula View Post
Limit your use of data the first two days (when the stores are expected to be closed) to only when WiFi is available. Get a prepaid SIM for the remainder of your week there. I think it's important to have a way to make calls, especially emergency ones, when you are doing ED. I remember reading one OP who had a lot of problems with his vehicle and he had to use his mobile phone quite frequently.
Ok, I will consider that, but is there a prepaid sim card that I can buy in Munich that will work in Italy and Austria???? If not, I dont see buying 3 sim cards.

2006 330i - ED
Ordered - April 8, 2006 (1st BMW )
Scheduled for Production - May 1, 2006
ED pick up date - June 9, 2006
ED drop off (Munich) - June 18, 2006
ReDelivery - July 27, 2006
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Ok, I will consider that, but is there a prepaid sim card that I can buy in Munich that will work in Italy and Austria???? If not, I dont see buying 3 sim cards.
Most prepaid SIM cards allow you to roam in Europe. Naturally, the cost for using them will be higher outside of the country where you originally purchased the prepaid SIM. I don't have the latest information on which brand of prepaid SIMs will be best suited for you. If you post your questions on the prepaidgsm.net forum, you will get better answers:

http://www.prepaidgsm.net/forum/europe/
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 MSport
Quote:
The holidays shouldn't matter as you should be able to buy a SIM at a kiosk at the airport. When I travel I usually buy a SIM for my old unlocked Blackberry that I travel with. Your phone will need to be unlocked in order to use a SIM you purchase in Germany, and you should also be sure that your phone works on GSM networks. My Verizon Samsung Galaxy Nexus does not, and if I need to be in touch with the office and clients when I travel to Europe and Asia I borrow an international phone from Verizon, which uses my US phone number.

'97 528i - Retired
'01 530i - Retired
'04 530i - Retired
'08 535xi - Retired
'11 335i Conv - Retired

Last edited by TheCount1; 03-13-2013 at 01:17 PM.