Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-07-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 528i
another crank no start

1997 BMW 528i with 115K miles. This issue has risen the day after getting a full tank of gas and driving 15-20 miles on the highway. Day after when I tried starting the car it caught one time with the gas pedal down but soon as I released the key the motor stopped immediately. I'm the 3rd owner, previous owner didn't have any service records so I'm not sure what was done. Also he "misplaced" the keyless entry key. This car has always started without a problem since I got it in May. I've only put about 6K miles since purchasing the car.

Things I checked;
Fuel Pump by checking the pressure from the passenger engine bay area with the tire cap looking piece (Piss yellow color if that matters)
Batter is good (just had it charged from cranking too long)
All fuses in glove box and relay in battery area.

Things I did to the car;
Recently changed oil, oil filter, transmission fluid and topped off all fluids
Replaced battery in May
Replaced all spark plugs to NGK in June

Codes I got;
P0340
P1423
P1421
P0340 PD

Funny thing is, I don't get a check engine light. My main concern is to have the car running for now.

Thanks in advance for your input on this matter.

Last edited by JungleMan1; 11-07-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 08:10 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
The P0340 is the cam sensor which can prevent the engine from running. You could have a bad ignition switch too.
The next two codes are for a bad secondary air injection system, the air pump probably is not running when you first start the engine.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere
Old 11-08-2012, 12:36 PM

Mein Auto: 97 BMW 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
The P0340 is the cam sensor which can prevent the engine from running. You could have a bad ignition switch too.
The next two codes are for a bad secondary air injection system, the air pump probably is not running when you first start the engine.
Before I read your reply, I disconnect and connected the main computer plug from under the passenger side cabin filter to the motor and the car started. I had to keep the motor at 1500rpm before it dies on its own. So I guess the car has a bad air pump. Would a bad air valve cause this problem also? Just want to know if I need to replace both.