Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 04-05-2013, 10:24 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 750Li X-Drive
CPO 2010 BMW 750Li X-Drive

NewB here, 1st post. Been following this forum for a long time, which has been informative for me before (and since) picking up a CPO 2010 750Li X-Drive in February.

Finally getting around to posting, hope to be able to contribute something useful to the forum in the future.

For now, I'll share the deal and the car. Stuck out in NJ for work much of this winter (from Chicago), I found this 2010 750 at JMK BMW in NJ.

$50K with 43K Miles
CPO to 1/4/2016

Camera Pkg
Convienence Pkg
Luxury Seating Pkg
M-Sport Pkg
20" 303 Wheels
Premium Sound
HUD
Instrument Panel with Leather
Sirius and Smart Phone

Car was in very good, not immaculate condition. Had seen 2010 750LiXs w/ M-Sport in near showroom condition with about 40K miles, but more in the $57K+ range. Figured I would save thousands with this off-lease car.

Planning to pay cash, but JMK had me finance the entire amount with 0.9% financing on CPO cars.

So far, this car has far exceed my expectations. Terrific engine note and power of course, but braking is much stronger than expected and without the brake dust that plagued my other BMW (how did BMW solve this problem, special pads?). Even the runflats ride much better than expected.

Most pleased, however, that a car with a limo back seat will actually yaw before roll in corners like a slot car, and a mid-engine MR2 I had years ago. Love the Auto Roll Stabilization, will not have another car without it or HUD, active headlights, ventilated seats, and rear shades.

Some minor downsides, Premium sound is weak, probably look to upgrade (not seeing any great options so far), along with the yellow angel eyes rings. The car's long body also has a more flex than I expected (would like an X brace like on my old e36) and lots of quirks with the electronics, but I am getting use to them. Otherwise this car is near perfect.

Well, mileage is probably the worst thing about this car, only about 15 mpg.

Going in for the 46K mile oil service next week. I have the right DRL error code once in a while, the fit of the rear diffuser and the hood. Windshield is very pitted, but I don't think they can do anything about that.

Here's a few pics I collected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	750 Nose Garage Sm IMG_3273.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	369932   Click image for larger version

Name:	750 Garage Sm IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	228.3 KB
ID:	369933   Click image for larger version

Name:	750 Side IMG_3269.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	246.8 KB
ID:	369934   Click image for larger version

Name:	750 Beach Sm IMG_3460.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	369935   Click image for larger version

Name:	750 Beach Ang Sm IMG_3461.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	369936  

Name:	750 Beach Rear Ang Sm IMG_3462.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	180.0 KB
ID:	369937  
Ads by Google
Old 04-05-2013, 10:48 PM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Looks like a beauty. Congrats and welcome!

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:17 PM

Special thanks to you as your posts have been most informative, particularly since you are out in front with mods and sharing your experiences.

Have you investigated the retrofitting the top view camera? I have the side view and backup cameras, but it would be nice to have confidence for nose in and curb parking situations (though the complex top view camera seems a little drastic for that).

Scheduled for window tint next week, mainly for heat reduction. The ceramic is $375, but I understand its worth it. The installer says 50% is enough and that I should not go darker on the back window because the car will look like a limo and I have shades anyway.

I would like 50% in the front because its mostly dark with low visibility in the long winters in Chicago, but 5% in back to max heat reduction with the black interior. Is the gain by going to 5% worth it? I like to be able to see out the windows clearly.

Open to getting anyone's thoughts on that or whether I should follow the installer's recommendation.
Old 04-06-2013, 07:58 AM

Mein Auto: ///M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoX750Li View Post
Special thanks to you as your posts have been most informative, particularly since you are out in front with mods and sharing your experiences.

Have you investigated the retrofitting the top view camera? I have the side view and backup cameras, but it would be nice to have confidence for nose in and curb parking situations (though the complex top view camera seems a little drastic for that).

Scheduled for window tint next week, mainly for heat reduction. The ceramic is $375, but I understand its worth it. The installer says 50% is enough and that I should not go darker on the back window because the car will look like a limo and I have shades anyway.

I would like 50% in the front because its mostly dark with low visibility in the long winters in Chicago, but 5% in back to max heat reduction with the black interior. Is the gain by going to 5% worth it? I like to be able to see out the windows clearly.

Open to getting anyone's thoughts on that or whether I should follow the installer's recommendation.
Nice to hear your words of thanks. Appreciate it.

Yes, my top view camera is in and 100% working. A bit pricey at around $2200 for parts and install, but very nice! Do NOT attempt to install yourself on that retrofit. It was a mess and even the installer who is a pro commented on its difficulty.

I just put cheap tint in mine. Total cost was about $125 for all windows but the front. Wanted 3M crystalline, but that was stupidly expensive sadly. It is amazing stuff to keep heat out though if you can justify spending over 1K for tinting.

Last mod I am working on is the M steering with paddle shifting. Getting a bit complicated cause it didn't work the first time and now changing my steering cluster out also to see if that works. Another problem is preserving my steering wheel heating function. That requires a special computer module in the wheel itself, which I just found out last night when I was taking the M Wheel apart. Gotta get that now.....another $200. Uggggg.....

Options: Executive Package, M-Sport, B&O Sound, LED Lighting, Drivers Assist, Active Cruise. No RWS (Rear Wood Shelf).
Mods: BMS n63tu Tune, PedalBox, H&R Sport Springs, RD Sport Front Lip, Rear Roof & Trunk Spoilers, 20" Forgestar F14 Rims, Akebono Ceramic Brakes, 20% Front/15% Rear Tint, Carbon Fiber Wrap, Smoked Taillights, 760 Exhaust Tips, "Golf Tee" mod, Kidney Grills & Front Vents Painted Gloss Black, Brake Calipers Gloss Black w/BMW Logos, B&W Carbon Fiber Roundels.

Last edited by rajeek; 04-06-2013 at 08:03 AM.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 750Lxi
Tint

I had mine tinted at Umbra in Schaumburg. Nino has done F02's, so he knows how to do them right. I would highly recommend him.

I had him do the Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic tint, 35% four sides and back.

Quick note, in Illinois if you do any more than 35% in your back you cannot legally do your front at all (if you care).
Old 04-06-2013, 09:26 AM

Tint

Here are a few pics:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo-1.JPG
Views:	61
Size:	216.9 KB
ID:	369974   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	369975  
Old 04-06-2013, 12:01 PM
Chudogz7

Mein Auto: 2010 BMW 750LI
Nice! I went with ceramic formula 1 5% for all my rear windows and paid $240 out here in Cali. I have no problems with visibility, even at night and I like the look with the darker tint. Look at different 7 series pics with various tint percentage and decide what you think looks best.. Then go for it!
Old 04-06-2013, 10:28 PM

The Formula 1 website is great, they even have a F02 as an example! The pics of Singal3's 35% do look a bit darker than Formula the website, so I do not think I will have to go any darker than 35%.

Nino is also who I talked to, good to hear your recommendation because my car has leather on the doors/dash I am worried about water staining. Too bad he is $375 and not $240.

How much do you find outward visibility cut down at night with the 35%? Nino also mentioned there was also a 40%, 50%.
Old 04-08-2013, 07:10 AM

Quote:
The Formula 1 website is great, they even have a F02 as an example! The pics of Singal3's 35% do look a bit darker than Formula the website, so I do not think I will have to go any darker than 35%.

Nino is also who I talked to, good to hear your recommendation because my car has leather on the doors/dash I am worried about water staining. Too bad he is $375 and not $240.

How much do you find outward visibility cut down at night with the 35%? Nino also mentioned there was also a 40%, 50%.
I don't notice much of a difference with 35%, if anything less glare. BTW, in bright sunlight the tint doesn't look nearly as dark as it does in the pictures.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:29 PM

Thanks, BTW is your car coded?

A buddy and I are having our cars coded for $100 this weekend (Sat in La Grange) if you are interested.
Old 04-08-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Thanks, BTW is your car coded?

A buddy and I are having our cars coded for $100 this weekend (Sat in La Grange) if you are interested.
No, funny you mentioned it though, I just bought the enet cable today. I plan on doing it myself, thanks though!
Old 04-08-2013, 09:40 PM

I'll probably do it myself down the road, but for now I don't need anything else on my list of things that I am not getting around to.

I'll let you know how it goes on the coding thread. If you want to stop by and observe for a bit on Sat, PM me.