Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Motorsports, Racing & Track

Motorsports, Racing & Track
From Formula One to Auto-X, discuss everything related to going fast here...

Old 07-09-2004, 03:50 PM
into things retro

Mein Auto: '02 M3 SMG & '08 135i
BMW CCA Oktoberfest Club Races at Fontana thread (long)

Hi All -

Another great club racing event as 40 or more BMW Club Racers from as far away as Tenn. or further came out to run their cars at California Speedway in Fontana. Lots of 'festers there: SLang, Ralph Warren, Brad O. from evosport, Fred, etc. along with HACK and binary farms crewing on my car. Lots of O'fest instuctors like SergioK, What Apex?!, lee, Interlocker, and others watched. And great atmosphere in the paddock as we were garaged with the full evosport team (5 cars). There was a sprint race on Tues. followed by the feature sprint race and the 1 hour enduro style race on Wed.

A kind of good news/bad news story for our team and the ptg95m3. We managed to get the car together and running well in time (I'll cover that in more detail later) for the sessions on Tuesday and kept the car clean until the very end of the enduro where a stuck throttle caused some engine damage, but managed to end O'fest with 3 class wins for the 2 days.

Pics courtesy of evosport - www.evosport.com

Ralph Warren piloting the ptg95m3

It took an amazing effort on everyone's part to have the car ready to go for the event because of a cracked head and some structural tearing from the Tribute to LeMans event previously. And then once there, a great job by the entire team in the garage as people, in typical BMW Club Racing style, helped out on each others cars to keep up with the frantic pace of being on track 4 times in less than 4 hours (maybe less then 3 hous on Tues.) for 2 days in a row.

Imad at European Motor Works (626) 445-6600 did a great job getting the crack in the head repaired, getting it back and installed on the car. He had all the confidence that once together, it would run right - so on Monday afternoon, Imad said "start it up" and it came to life without a hitch. Had enough time to run some errands, get some supplies, and spend the night at HACK's place to be ready for a Tues. 5 AM departure time to Fontana.

SLang drove Ralph Warren's D Mod car for the O'fest races and almost had a field win on Tuesday night:

On Tuesday, we had to address the brake rotor ('warping') and front strut tower tearing issues before the car could go out. We also wanted to weigh the car and check alignment. A lot to get done, and to top it off, I managed to eat something the day before that gave food poisoning (a one point in the day, I was sleeping on the sidewalk outside the men's room ). But we got the cryo treated rotors that 300 Degrees (with assistance from Conversion Techniques) sent down and got them on and the crew from evosport brought the welder and fixed up the front strut hat. After the typical pre race checking and a quick weighing, it was time to grid up for the first session. Things on track were running behind schedule, so I think there was only time for one practice along with the qualifying and sprint race.

In the sprint race, Holder (with his new wide body kit) and Rigoli led the thundering herd around the oval toward the first turn onto the infield and it appears each one tried out waiting the other one on the braking zone such that they both way overshot the turn. That left SLang at the front of the pack for almost the entire race, but amazingly Rigoli had enough time to reel in him and with 2 or 3 laps to go, passed Scott for the lead and took the overall win. Brad got the H Prepared win in this beauty of an e46 M3 racer:

For the sprint race on Wed., nobody overshot the first big turn and Holder was able to finish ahead of Rigoli for the entire field win:

For the Wed. night enduro, with Holder running out to a lead, SLang and Steve Olsen were in a tight battle with Rigoli's e30 for most of the race, but Steve went off track a little on one lap and that was enough to get Rigoli clear. Blaine McNutt shared our car with Ralph.

Another car in the evosport garage next to us getting class wins in K Stock was Woodard's e30:

First, I'd would like to thank the crew: binary farms, HACK and Terry Best from Irvine BMW.

Thanks also to Yokohama Tires and their race support outfit Trackside Performance, who were there to help both racers and track school students with tire problems during the event.

And BIG thanks to Imad at European Motors on Live Oak Ave. in Arcadia for getting the engine running great and to Brad O. and Ken at evosport for the garage support for the event.

Photo gallery

Last edited by scottn2retro; 07-10-2004 at 03:56 PM.
Advertisement