Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 05-10-2002, 05:52 PM
Admin • Owner • Enthusiast
Bimmerfest Founder

Mein Auto: E92 M3 Cp
BMW 7 Series named Best Sedan, X5 Best SUV...

BMW earned two prestigious awards from Robb Report Magazine this month in their annual Best of the Best awards as follows: Best Sedans for the 2002 745i and Best SUV for the X5, both following numerous other awards already presented for these two outstanding vehicles.

Robb Report evaluates the products of manufacturers that specialize in the production of exclusive, high-performance, thoroughbred automobiles. Robb Report magazine described this year's selection: The 325-hp, 4.4-liter V-8 engine powers the car effortlessly, and it sweeps through turns with buttery smoothness. The flagship 745i went on sale in January, followed by the long-wheelbase 745Li in March, and since then both have sold phenomenally well. So well in fact, that BMW sold 55% more 745i and 745Li models through April 2002 than the immensely successful 740i and 740iL models during the same period last year. Robb Report also bestowed the Best SUV award on the X5 Sports Activity Vehicle, the second time for the X5. Sales of the powerful and capable X5 have also been spectacular. Monthly sales were up a brisk 45 percent, to 4,086 vehicles compared to the 2,816 reported last year. The 745i was also awarded Best Engineered Car for 2002 by Automotive Engineering International magazine, and was further featured in The Best of What's New 2001 in the December 2001 issue of Popular Science, which reported, BMW has rethought how to integrate new technology into cars, and the result is the 2002 745i simply blows us
away–a seamless blend of high-tech and mechanical refinement... Car and Driver Magazine raved about the car's handling, noting, Dive in fast, and the steering wheel and the seat pulse with data, helping the driver easily stand the big car right on the pinhead between understeer and oversteer. Road and Track magazine also marveled at the handling, saying the new 745i does not disappoint. Dynamically superb is how Engineering Editor Dennis Simanaitis sums it up. The X5 has won numerous other awards, most recently Best SUV from Money Magazine and the 2002 Readers' Choice All-Star Awardslr from Automobile Magazine.
BMW of North America has been present in the United States since 1975. Since then, the BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales and financial service organizations for the BMW and MINI brands; a South Carolina manufacturing operation; DESIGNWORKS/USA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and
various other operations throughout the country. The BMW Group is represented in the U.S. through networks of 340 BMW car, 327 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle, 148 BMW Motorcycle retailers and 53 MINI car dealers. BMW US Holding Corp., the Group's headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.
Advertisement