Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 11-08-2012, 01:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
Alternator Help!!!

I have a 2003 745Li

I was driving on the HWY at approximately 75mph when all of a sudden my vehicle shut off. It lost complete power. About 1- 2 seconds later, it powered back up. This has happened two times.

I am also beginning to hear a noise coming from the engine area (probably alternator), but can't quite pin point it.

When I drive the car, It feels as it lost some of its power and does not run the same.

Also, when the vehicle is on park and I step on the acceleration, going over 3500rpm, the power begins to go low, it wants to turn off, and the headlights begin to flicker.

My question to you guys is if you believe it's the alternator or another problem?

If it is the alternator, Is it an easy DIY job?

If so, I haven't been able to find any threads that actually walk you through the whole process. Do you you know of any?

Thank you guys
Ads by Google
Old 11-08-2012, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drkspunkyx View Post
I have a 2003 745Li

I was driving on the HWY at approximately 75mph when all of a sudden my vehicle shut off. It lost complete power. About 1- 2 seconds later, it powered back up. This has happened two times.

I am also beginning to hear a noise coming from the engine area (probably alternator), but can't quite pin point it.

When I drive the car, It feels as it lost some of its power and does not run the same.

Also, when the vehicle is on park and I step on the acceleration, going over 3500rpm, the power begins to go low, it wants to turn off, and the headlights begin to flicker.

My question to you guys is if you believe it's the alternator or another problem?

If it is the alternator, Is it an easy DIY job?

If so, I haven't been able to find any threads that actually walk you through the whole process. Do you you know of any?

Thank you guys
bro that has to be scary ehhh doing 75mph and car shuts off.....try to take voltage with car off and with car running and see if generator is charging....or go to hidden menu on dash and look at voltage with car running....or take it to auto parts store so they can do a load test on battery...
changing alternator is pretty easy diy
if you have h20 cooled generator 150 or 180 amp than i would do the alternator bracket gasket also if it wasn't done...

or maybe you have old battery too...it happened to plenty of guys here on forum battery going bad
Old 11-08-2012, 02:33 PM

The battery is approximately 3 years old. About 6 months ago, I was getting the "Recharge Battery" sign on the dashboard. I took the battery to an auto parts store. They ran a test and told me that the battery was good.

When ever I turn on the car, with the engine off, approximately 1 - 2 minutes later I receive the "Recharge Battery" message on the dashboard.

What is the voltage amount that the car should be running at?

Is there a DIY thread for the alternator job that you might know of?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:36 PM

Quote:
The battery is approximately 3 years old. About 6 months ago, I was getting the "Recharge Battery" sign on the dashboard. I took the battery to an auto parts store. They ran a test and told me that the battery was good.

When ever I turn on the car, with the engine off, approximately 1 - 2 minutes later I receive the "Recharge Battery" message on the dashboard.

What is the voltage amount that the car should be running at?

Is there a DIY thread for the alternator job that you might know of?
do you drive a car alot or is it just sitting??? sometimes when you keep your radio on,idrive on with car not running that draines the battery...the warning is there just to warn you that you should turn it off or start the car and drive it for a while to charge the battery back up..

voltage should be between 13.6-14.4V car running...

there is plenty of threads about alternators...alternator bracket oil leaks...etc

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ght=alternator
Old 11-09-2012, 03:19 AM

I drive the car a lot. I have 132,000 miles in it.

I ran the operating voltage while the engine was on. I was getting a reading of 13.2 to 14.3 voltage. It would start out at 14.2, go down to 13.2, then go up again.

I began to rev the engine, while on park. After the third rev at 4000rpm, the car shut off. The power was gone. Approximately 4 - 5 seconds later, the power came back on.

Any idea of what might be going on?
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I drive the car a lot. I have 132,000 miles in it.

I ran the operating voltage while the engine was on. I was getting a reading of 13.2 to 14.3 voltage. It would start out at 14.2, go down to 13.2, then go up again.

I began to rev the engine, while on park. After the third rev at 4000rpm, the car shut off. The power was gone. Approximately 4 - 5 seconds later, the power came back on.

Any idea of what might be going on?
looks like alternator....if its fluctuating like that and shutting off

try to check connections on battery itself maybe they got loose somehow or main cable going to alternator....
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01 AM

I took my car to an Indy shop. They ran a few test and said that the alternator and battery was fine.

I ended up taking my car to the dealer for a diagnostic ($155). Lets see what they say.

I'm guessing its going to be the Integrated Supply Module (power)
Old 11-10-2012, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I took my car to an Indy shop. They ran a few test and said that the alternator and battery was fine.

I ended up taking my car to the dealer for a diagnostic ($155). Lets see what they say.

I'm guessing its going to be the Integrated Supply Module (power)
im surprised nobody else is chipping in....im sure other guys had problems with ISM
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I replaced my alternator very recently. Your symptoms don't sound like a bad alternator to me. Car normally doesn't just shut down with bad alternator. You would get all kinds of fault errors like transmission Failsafe, dynamic drive failure, air conditioning and lights would shut off but car would still run. Go into hidden menu and see what the fault codes say. My problem ended up being a bad alternator after I replaced my power module and integrated supply module. These did not fix my problem so I have an extra power module and the integrated supply module. Both are easy to replace but the power module needs coded to the car. I used Dashsoft to do this. I can sell you both of these cheap if you want to try replacing those parts. PM me if you are interested.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:40 PM

I just picked up my car from the dealer. Paid $155 for a diagnostic.

The service advisor said that they ran test on the alternator & battery. They were both working properly. He also advised that I should think about replacing my transmission & that I have an oil leak coming from the engine.

Other than that, he wasn't able to find out what was causing the power issue until I fixed my oil leak.

Great!!!! That doesn't help.

I'm just going to wing it. I'm going to change the power supply module first and see what happens.

Does anyone know how to program the module with the car?
Old 11-12-2012, 10:53 PM

Buy a Dashsoft scanner and you can program your vin to the power module. Check them out at xcar369.com.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:54 PM

I meant to say xcar360.com
Old 11-13-2012, 02:23 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li
By chance, Have you checked your fuel pumps? The car has 3. Two under the hood and 1 in the tank.

jdcraw
Old 11-14-2012, 09:34 AM

typical dealer..........advising you that you may need a new transmission and fix the oil leak first........bunch of
Old 11-14-2012, 05:02 PM

So now, I was driving the car. The car felt that it list power. I was accelerating and the car would barely go, as if it was struggling. Then a message appeared on the dashboard "Generator Fault" "Battery not charging."

I parked the car for about 2 minutes. Turned it back on and it was ok. It started to make a louder clanking sound.

Bad alternator symptoms?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 745LI/ F02
Quote:
So now, I was driving the car. The car felt that it list power. I was accelerating and the car would barely go, as if it was struggling. Then a message appeared on the dashboard "Generator Fault" "Battery not charging."

I parked the car for about 2 minutes. Turned it back on and it was ok. It started to make a louder clanking sound.

Bad alternator symptoms?

Yes sounds like alternator.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:43 PM

If I replace the alternator, do I need to program it to the car?

What is the DIY difficulty level for this job?
Old 11-14-2012, 05:46 PM

No you do not. as for the DIY I couldn't tell you my BMW Tech did mines.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:47 PM

Make sure you replace the little ribber gasket so it will not leak later.