Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 04-01-2015, 05:29 PM
Mein Auto: 97 740i, 06 X5, 00 Mirage
2006 BMW X5 4.4i blue smoke on acceleration after idling?

My BMW X5 shoots out plooms of bluish smoke intermittently, usually when I idle for a little bit (traffic lights, drive through, etc) It has gotten worse after taking my bmw in for a oil change into the BMW dealership.

Ok so thinking that it was the CCV Valves I checked them out (orange circular, rubber seals) on both sides of the blocks. They seem to check out just fine, which leads me to believe that the previous owner already replaced them, because they look brand spanking new.

So now I am guessing I have a bigger problem on my hands? What other minor things can I check out to diagnose if my valve cover seals are going out? And from your experience is this what I am facing or am I freaking out for nothing? From my research I see that the valve seal guides going out on the N62 engines is notorious, probably also why the car was at the used car dealer lot.

Also does this problem happen because people don't change their oil on time??

Anyways thanks for the advice ahead of time

Last edited by oleg212; 04-01-2015 at 06:33 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 04:39 PM
Mein Auto: 545i
Common problem, and one I have had to deal with before. Once you have checked for cracked CCV rubber membrane, and no cracks appear, then check to see if there is vacuum at oil cap. You should feel it suck your hand when you cover it. If no vacuum, check dipstick seals. Also check for collapsed CCV hoses at rear of engine for spongy feel which is common, and they collapse under vacuum.

If you are not lucky, valve seals are another issue, and an expensive issue at that. I had this issue, and wasn't about to go to this expense, so I tried a few things which worked great. If your dealer used 5W/30W synthetic oil, you will want to first try 10W/30W which helped my smoker out. Hard to believe this would stop smoking after long idle, but it helped. I then used a ceramic additive and that eliminated all smoke, and it has not appeared in over a year and 15K, so I am keeping my fingers crossed. Engine runs better than ever too, so worth researching, the ceramic additive fills in pores of metal using nanotechnology while reducing friction where the oil seals and valves meet.

Good luck,

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
Today's Posts Search