Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-17-2012, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 335i and 2014 X3 35i
A week already with the Windsormobile

I was going to wait for a few weeks before I gave my first ownership impressions, but believe it or not in a week I have already 835 miles on the car so I felt I can give you guys my first impressions now.

I will start with Cons:
This is more on me than BMW but they are also at fault here. Wheel and tire combo should be more aggressive for the Sportline 335i. Itís on me because I was very close to picking the staggered 19 in wheel/tire combo and didnít and itís on BMW for putting 225/45s on the Sportline when say the S4 has 245s all around. BMW exces and bean counters listen up. People that buy this car in this configuration at least, could care less for the slightly better fuel economy.

Cup holders, nice to have I guess but totally useless with a big cup on a 6 MT car. I keep hitting my hand on the water bottle when shifting to 3rd or 5th so I have to give up drinking water in the carÖhehehe.

I notice I am getting a lot of false alarms from the PDC in the front of the car. Something I may want to check out with the dealer sooner rather than later.
That is about it for Cons.

Neutral:
Just wanted to put this in as many people have complained about steering vibration and noises in the cabin. I said neutral because I donít have any of these issues but then I expected this from a 50K car. My car does have the adaptive handling package which includes variable steering.

This if for BJ: Also neutral for me is the comments I have gotten from a few well wishers so far. Four to be exact, with one guy asking me if itís ok if you took a few Iphone photos of the car. I have been telling you guys not too many F30s in NVA so far and much fewer 335i.

Pros:
I donít even know where to start here to be honest. From the driverís point of view, this is the fastest, smoothest, most comfortable car you can drive crazy fast I have ever owned.

I will start with the engine/6-MT combo. One word comes to mind. AWESOME. I love this manual box and with this engine it simply a match made in heaven. Direct, light, minimal clutch effort and honestly I donít understand how some said the clutch engages high, I donít think so at all. But this engine? Man, it has so much torque down low, power all over the rev band. Granted I have not ventured above 5K rpms yet but itís just intoxicating running the gears and feeling that smooth power delivery. I would be doing this car a huge injustice to compare it to my C350 Mercedes or worse my E90 328i. Both those cars simply felt slow, and spartan in the case of the E90.

Let me put it to you this way, even in sport mode itís more comfortable that the C350 and infinitely more precise when it comes to steering and turn in response. Even in comfort mode the car corners flat as a pancake as my E90 sport but itís just perfect in steering feel, suspension, road compliance,and comfort, someting that my E90 never was.

The car is just so controllable and direct that as a result it makes you brave because you know it will not bite you. In sport+ mode and TC turned off you can easily 4-wheel drift the car and be totally in control. Amazing fun.

I have to give a lot of credit to the adaptive handling package for a lot of this behavior. I took the family to the Annapolis boat show this Sunday, traveling at a comfortable 85 mph when there was a significant dip in the road after crossing a small bridge. Mind you there were 4 people in the car so you can imagine what a car does when itís heavy in a road dip at speed. Well the car just settled in a microsecond. No wondering, no drama, no excessive bouncing, I mean honestly I never had a car that composed. Dare I say it was almost boring? Just set the cruise control and enjoy the very comfortable ride.

I am getting about 25.5 mpg with about 50-50 hwy city and no I have not hypermiled any. I still have not put the car in ecopro mode, maybe I will do it today just to see how it affects the throttle response.

As for the extra options, the Idrive has come a long way since the early days. I do have a recent Idrive NAV system in the X5 so I am very comfortable with this one but the display is better than the one I have in the 2011 X5. Very clear and larger.

The HK sound system is very good. I set it up with the settings suggested on another thread here, fine tuned it a little for my ears, I canít complain a bit. For 900 dollars extra is a solid, clear system. But for me where this car is worth every penny and more is the driving experience. I simply love it.

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2011 X5 35d Great SUV gone

2009 C350 Mercedes Gone 7-31-2012, good car but boooooooooring.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.
Advertisement
Old 10-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Great to read, happy you are enjoying it.
Old 10-17-2012, 01:10 PM
BMW Platinum Visaģ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Originally Posted by windsor027 View Post

This if for BJ: Also neutral for me is the comments I have gotten from a few well wishers so far. Four to be exact, with one guy asking me if it's ok if you took a few Iphone photos of the car. I have been telling you guys not too many F30s in NVA so far and much fewer 335i.

First off, great review. Glad you think the F30 is an 'overwhelming catamaran'.

Regarding admirers, it's great isn't it? Just today I had an owner of an old BMW ask if he could take an iPhone photo of my car. I said 'yes', of course.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 10-17-2012, 01:17 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
Thumbs up

Quote:
I was going to wait for a few weeks before I gave my first ownership impressions, but believe it or not in a week I have already 835 miles on the car so I felt I can give you guys my first impressions now.

I will start with Cons:
This is more on me than BMW but they are also at fault here. Wheel and tire combo should be more aggressive for the Sportline 335i. Itís on me because I was very close to picking the staggered 19 in wheel/tire combo and didnít and itís on BMW for putting 225/45s on the Sportline when say the S4 has 245s all around. BMW exces and bean counters listen up. People that buy this car in this configuration at least, could care less for the slightly better fuel economy.

Cup holders, nice to have I guess but totally useless with a big cup on a 6 MT car. I keep hitting my hand on the water bottle when shifting to 3rd or 5th so I have to give up drinking water in the carÖhehehe.

I notice I am getting a lot of false alarms from the PDC in the front of the car. Something I may want to check out with the dealer sooner rather than later.

Neutral:
Just wanted to put this in as many people have complained about steering vibration and noises in the cabin. I said neutral because I donít have any of these issues but then I expected this from a 50K car. My car does have the adaptive handling package which includes variable steering.

This if for BJ: Also neutral for me is the comments I have gotten from a few well wishers so far. Four to be exact, with one guy asking me if itís ok if you took a few Iphone photos of the car. I have been telling you guys not too many F30s in NVA so far and much fewer 335i.

Pros:
I donít even know where to start here to be honest. From the driverís point of view, this is the fastest, smoothest, most comfortable car you can drive crazy fast I have ever owned.

I will start with the engine/6-MT combo. One word comes to mind. AWESOME. I love this manual box and with this engine it simply a match made in heaven. Direct, light, minimal clutch effort and honestly I donít understand how some said the clutch engages high, I donít think so at all. But this engine? Man, it has so much torque down low, power all over the rev band. Granted I have not ventured above 5K rpms yet but itís just intoxicating running the gears and feeling that smooth power delivery. I would be doing this car a huge injustice to compare it to my C350 Mercedes or worse my E90 328i. Both those cars simply felt slow, and spartan in the case of the E90.

Let me put it to you this way, even in sport mode itís more comfortable that the C and infinitely more precise when it comes to steering and turn in response. Even in comfort mode the car corners flat as a pancake as my E90 sport but itís just perfect in steering feel, suspension, road compliance,and comfort, someting that my E90 never was.

The car is just so controllable and direct that as a result it makes you brave because you know it will not bite you. In sport+ mode and TC turned off you can easily 4-wheel drift the car and be totally in control. Amazing fun.

I have to give a lot of credit to the adaptive handling package for a lot of this behavior. I took the family to the Annapolis boat show this Sunday, traveling at a comfortable 85 mph when there was a significant dip in the road after crossing a small bridge. Mind you there were 4 people in the car so you can imagine what a car does when itís heavy in a road dip at speed. Well the car just settled in a microsecond. No wondering, no drama, no excessive bouncing, I mean honestly I never had a car that composed. Dare I say it was almost boring? Just set the cruise control and enjoy the very comfortable ride.

I am getting about 25.5 mpg with about 50-50 hwy city and no I have not hypermiled any. I still have not put the car in ecopro mode, maybe I will do it today just to see how it affects the throttle response.

As for the extra options, the Idrive has come a long way since the early days. I do have a recent Idrive NAV system in the X5 so I am very comfortable with this one but the display is better than the one I have in the 2011 X5. Very clear and larger.

The HK sound system is very good. I set it up with the settings suggested on another thread here, fine tuned it a little for my ears, I canít complain a bit. For 900 dollars extra is a solid, clear system. But for me where this car is worth every penny and more is the driving experience. I simply love it.
Nice read. I wish I could put my experiences into words as well as you did. Enjoy good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 10-17-2012, 01:19 PM
1-5-3-6-2-4

Send a message via Skype™ to rtgirard
Mein Auto: 2013 335xi
Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride, Windsor! Thank you for the detailed review.

BMWCCA# 457109
Old 10-17-2012, 01:39 PM

Mein Auto: '98 E36 Coupe
Nice review. I agree with basically everything you said. It's amazing how the car corners flatter than my E36 but also has a dramatically better ride.

Last edited by E36toF30; 10-17-2012 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtgirard View Post
Glad to hear you're enjoying the ride, Windsor! Thank you for the detailed review.
My pleasure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
Nice read. I wish I could put my experiences into words as well as you did. Enjoy good luck
cheers
vern
Vern I would be interest in knowing how your run flats are holding out after 8K miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by E36toF30 View Post
Nice review. I agree with basically everything you said. It's amazing how the car corners flatter than my E36 but also has a dramatically better ride.
The handling is beyond my expectations. But then again you and I have the DHP and I bet this is option has a lot to do with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
First off, great review. Glad you think the F30 is an 'overwhelming catamaran'.

Regarding admirers, it's great isn't it? Just today I had an owner of an old BMW ask if he could take an iPhone photo of my car. I said 'yes', of course. BJ
Don't get your catamaran witty comment BJ but here is the disappointment. Only guys have comment to the car so far, what happen to the promise you gave us that soccer moms would be all over googly eyed over the F30...

2013 335i Sportline | M-adaptive | HK | NAV | PDC | Heated Front seats |6-speed MT.

2008 X5 4.8i - Turned in 1/24/11 They created the Lemon law because of this SUV.

Last edited by windsor027; 10-17-2012 at 02:22 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Don't get your catamaran witty comment BJ
I think he was referring to this thread: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=652339

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 10-17-2012, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Don't get your catamaran witty comment BJ but here is the disappointment. Only guys have comment to the car so far, what happen to the promise you gave us that soccer moms would be all over googly eyed over the F30..
Your post was the inverse of this morning's train-wreck, so the closest inverse of "underwhelming boat" I could come up with is "overwhelming catamaran".

As for the soccer mom's, you're driving too fast. Need to cruise Target, Whole Foods, Nordstrom's at 328i2013 speeds.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-17-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i XDrive
Quote:

I will start with Cons:

Neutral:

Pros:

Let me put it to you this way, even in sport mode itís more comfortable that the C350 and infinitely more precise when it comes to steering and turn in response. Even in comfort mode the car corners flat as a pancake as my E90 sport but itís just perfect in steering feel, suspension, road compliance,and comfort, someting that my E90 never was.

Great read! My car arrived at the dealer today hoping to tomorrow or Friday.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:36 PM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Good thread...thanks for posting. Overwhelming catamaran...lol.

Might have to go test drive an F30 N20 one of these days...

- J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 10-17-2012, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Your post was the inverse of this morning's train-wreck, so the closest inverse of "underwhelming boat" I could come up with is "overwhelming catamaran".

As for the soccer mom's, you're driving too fast. Need to cruise Target, Whole Foods, Nordstrom's at 328i2013 speeds.

BJ
now way man that mean I have to lower my standards..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacManVA View Post
Great read! My car arrived at the dealer today hoping to tomorrow or Friday.
Awesome MacMan, Post pictures when you get it.

Old 10-17-2012, 08:04 PM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
[QUOTE=windsor027;7140597

Vern I would be interest in knowing how your run flats are holding out after 8K miles.
:[/QUOTE]
I am not having any problems like I did with the old ones...they are a great improvement over the 2005 530i that came with them. BIG IMPROVEMENT not noisy and they ride and handle very well. The tires on the 335 are Goodyears so I am comparing them against the Dunlops I had on the 530. They were so bad they were giving you a free set of tires if you had a problem before 20,000 miles on them. So far so good.

cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats

Last edited by vern; 10-17-2012 at 08:09 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vern View Post
I am not having any problems like I did with the old ones...they are a great improvement over the 2005 530i that came with them. BIG IMPROVEMENT not noisy and they ride and handle very well. The tires on the 335 are Goodyears so I am comparing them against the Dunlops I had on the 530. They were so bad they were giving you a free set of tires if you had a problem before 20,000 miles on them. So far so good.

cheers
vern
Thank you Vern. that is what I have GoodYears, this is good to know.

Old 10-20-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Infinity G35x
Great read.

I to live in Nova (fairfax) I just put an order in for a 335xi sport dhp + others. I can't wait to take delivery.
Old 10-20-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stifle View Post
Great read.

I to live in Nova (fairfax) I just put an order in for a 335xi sport dhp + others. I can't wait to take delivery.
That is great. there are a few of us around here one of these days we just might get together and drive our F30s around some fun roads. Love to have you join us.

BTW excellent decision on the DHP, the ride and handling is going to bow you away.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:16 PM
just copacetic!!!

Mein Auto: 2013 328i, 2003 325i
The F30 feels like a thoroughbred that just wants to get out and run...and mine is not even the 335i
'89 325i Bronz, AT(retired)
'02 325i StlGrey, AT, PP, SP
'13 328i AlpWhite, AT8, Xenon, HK
Old 10-20-2012, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndDown View Post
The F30 feels like a thoroughbred that just wants to get out and run...and mine is not even the 335i
Today I tried it on eco-mode. Forget it never again. Heck even in comfort it doesn't do it for me, the steering and throttle response is so so. Put the thing in sport or sport plus man and it just a simply a different car. And you don't lose much in comfort either with the DHP.

I love this car boys and girls. Its the perfect compromise between performance, fun, family sedan, luxury sedan etc. Bravo BMW.

Old 11-11-2012, 06:54 AM

Well the Windsormobile will be parked for the next few days. With what happen in NY with Sandy the dealership called me on Friday saying VA DMV swears it has send the licenses plates and yet they are no where to be found. I understand this is a very minor incident compared to what people have been going thru in the NY-NJ area but still its so hard to go back to Metro riding when you have your gorgeous brand new F30 sitting in the garage begging to be driven. Plates according to VA should be here in a week (now don't even ask me why it takes this long and why they couldn't allow me to go to any VA DMV to pick some plates up. Something to do with the fact that they actually have to be send to the dealer not directly to me...)

On a bright side now the car has 1,923 miles on it. Not a single issue mechanical. I can honestly say this is the best BMW I have ever owned/driven. Its so smooth and yet so powerful its almost unbelievable. Yesterday I had to drive the X5 for the first time and as you all know that does have the hydraulic steering...I was so surprised by the effort I had to put into it to steer the thing and yes I am saying I didn't care for it very much. This is from a guy that has not driven the F30 in comfort mode now for over 3 weeks, thus stiffer steering setting in sport mode. But the most surprising thing is how rough the X5 rides. I don't have sport suspension on the X5 btw or RFTs and yet compared to the F30 in sport mode with the DHP the X5 feels like I am off road. The F30 is that smooth and comfortable compared to it. The wife has commended on it and so have the kids.

Another thing that I love about the F30 is the 6-MT. Its a dream manual transmission, super slick, effortless, engaging. Did BMW change it? Because I can tell you my 2007 E90 manual was good but nothing like this one. It was tougher to downshift for corners you had to have the revs spot on, and required more effort from what I remember. This thing man is almost like changing gears without a clutch. Awesome.

Then there is the power. OMG, 2nd to 3rd this thing spurts wings, hitting traffic gaps is a child's play, merging into HW traffic is laughably easy, and averaging 25 mph with such a green engine? I never managed more than 21 mpg with the 2009 C350. Just an awesome car.

Still looking for tires/wheels combo because I feel this car is way under-tire. Will report when/if I change them.

Old 11-11-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: bimmer
Agreed that the F30 handles so competently that it is leaps and bounces above many late model bimmers. Many posters have pointed out the comparably equipped 335i is just $3-4k more than 328i(invoice pricing), and that's with bigger wheels, bigger brake discs, and bigger engine. A great deal indeed(provided dealer is willing)! In the test drives I did notice 335i is a tad nose heavy in turns, but nothing beats the power and torque advantage over 328i, especially with MT holding in 2nd and make 60mph in no time. Do u notice any turbo lag from N55 in 335i? It would be nice if SULEV would become available soon.

Happy motoring.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i X
Don't get your catamaran witty comment BJ but here is the disappointment. Only guys have comment to the car so far, what happen to the promise you gave us that soccer moms would be all over googly eyed over the F30...[/QUOTE]

I gave a review of my 335iX earlier this week. I'm not a soccer mom (that's actually a great misnomer, in our area, dads play the greater role in soccer games), but I am female and I do love this car.

I've only got about 250 miles on mine, almost time to fill 'er up. This car is a dream to drive, faster than it should be, quicker off the line than anyone else and more fun than you should have driving a car. The steering feels much softer than in the 328 but that could be due to the options or lack of them on the car. Love, love love it.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-12-2012, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post
Don't get your catamaran witty comment BJ but here is the disappointment. Only guys have comment to the car so far, what happen to the promise you gave us that soccer moms would be all over googly eyed over the F30...
I gave a review of my 335iX earlier this week. I'm not a soccer mom (that's actually a great misnomer, in our area, dads play the greater role in soccer games), but I am female and I do love this car.

I've only got about 250 miles on mine, almost time to fill 'er up. This car is a dream to drive, faster than it should be, quicker off the line than anyone else and more fun than you should have driving a car. The steering feels much softer than in the 328 but that could be due to the options or lack of them on the car. Love, love love it.[/QUOTE]

Are you leasing your BMWs or buying them? It seems you are into a new one every few years so if you are not leasing you should look into it because it probably makes more sense.

I am very happy you are enjoying the driving experience. No question the F30 is a great car, BMW did it right.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:

Are you leasing your BMWs or buying them? It seems you are into a new one every few years so if you are not leasing you should look into it because it probably makes more sense.

I am very happy you are enjoying the driving experience. No question the F30 is a great car, BMW did it right.
The first two were bought slightly used. This one we bought new. We haven't leased any of them.

For someone who doesn't have the Dynamic Handling or Sport Suspension, how would my ride be different with them? Just curious.
1994 - Present Jeeps
Old 11-12-2012, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quinn Lasser View Post

I've only got about 250 miles on mine, almost time to fill 'er up. This car is a dream to drive, faster than it should be, quicker off the line than anyone else and more fun than you should have driving a car. The steering feels much softer than in the 328 but that could be due to the options or lack of them on the car. Love, love love it.
As a BMW-driving baseball dad I find the prospect of a BMW-driving soccer misnomer irresistible.

When can we meet?

BJ

Old 11-12-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
As a BMW-driving baseball dad I find the prospect of a BMW-driving soccer misnomer irresistible.

When can we meet?

BJ
Ha ha ha.... I think. Meet you half way, that should be Ohio or Pittsburgh.
1994 - Present Jeeps