Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i X-Drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Be careful. They're a little bit slippery, lost traction the first few times I got out of the car.

BJ
thanks i noticed it too when i got out of the car.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:55 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW X Series View Post
i finally finished installing mines
Great job?

You do it yourself like I did, or have the dealer do the install?

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-11-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
thanks i noticed it too when i got out of the car.
I took a long drive north today, beautiful weather, cruised through the mountains up the Hudson River.

My $200 Nike's were slipping all over the mats, especially my right heel while it was on the gas pedal. I hope whatever slimy film BMW sprayed on the mats to keep 'em minty while shipping wears of quickly or I'm going to have to expand my iPod Velcro Mod to include the floor mat zone.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 E93 335is & '08 535xi
Quote:
I took a long drive north today, beautiful weather, cruised through the mountains up the Hudson River.

My $200 Nike's were slipping all over the mats, especially my right heel while it was on the gas pedal. I hope whatever slimy film BMW sprayed on the mats to keep 'em minty while shipping wears of quickly or I'm going to have to expand my iPod Velcro Mod to include the floor mat zone.

BJ
I noticed from your pictures that your winter floor mats differ from those in my wife's car. Ours are ribbed, made of real rubber and are not slippery. Also, our mats have a 2-2 1'2" round plastic piece that fits into the affixed round plastic piece in the carpet, which you twist to lock the mats in place so they don't move. Yours don't have this either? Did you buy them through your dealer? If you did buy OEM BMW winter mats, they must have changed their supplier which would appear to be not a good thing. (Although, I did see an exact set of winter mats to ours on display at our dealer's part shop last week.)

I just did a web search and it looks like BMW did change suppliers for the all weather floor mats, at least for the F30. They definitely look like a cheaper quality to ours, and as you mentioned, they don't work very well.

Last edited by beden1; 11-11-2012 at 09:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i (Coming Soon)
Can you tell any difference in performance with the new mats? The additional grip will be nice but I'm worried about the extra weight.

Also the part you cut off is actually the scissor storage cubby. You know, in case the trophy wife wants to do any scrapbooking while riding through the countryside.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Those mats are beauts, way too nice to be directly exposed to the dirt of winter. Fortunately BMW makes covers for those winter mats. They're carpeted, luxurious and look just like the originals.
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-12-2012, 09:36 AM

Mein Auto: '14 F30 335i M-Sport (ED)
will those mats void your warranty?
Old 11-12-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beden1 View Post
I noticed from your pictures that your winter floor mats differ from those in my wife's car. Ours are ribbed, made of real rubber and are not slippery. Also, our mats have a 2-2 1'2" round plastic piece that fits into the affixed round plastic piece in the carpet, which you twist to lock the mats in place so they don't move. Yours don't have this either? Did you buy them through your dealer? If you did buy OEM BMW winter mats, they must have changed their supplier which would appear to be not a good thing. (Although, I did see an exact set of winter mats to ours on display at our dealer's part shop last week.)

I just did a web search and it looks like BMW did change suppliers for the all weather floor mats, at least for the F30. They definitely look like a cheaper quality to ours, and as you mentioned, they don't work very well.

My E90 vs. my F30 mats in photos above.

The mats are OEM for the Luxury line, given to me by my dealership just like the old ones. They are heavy in weight, they have Velcro locks (pre-installed, no disks) just like the old ones.

On the plus side, they have a higher outer lip to keep melted snow securely trapped on the mat itself. On the E90 mats, the edge was more of a bead and less of a chiseled lip; the F30's are an improvement. They also ride-up the carpet higher and tighter, really are custom-fit quite snugly and securely.

The only downside is that (so far) they are a lot more slippery underfoot, at least during the break-in period. I believe its because the E90 mats were ribbed all over, pinstriped at the top and curve-striped at the bottom, there was no large, smooth surface that went un-ribbed. The new design has patches that are un-ribbed. Now, one can say that the spot I'm complaining about (under my right heel) has more ribbage than the old model, but it's not working out that way yet.

BJ

Old 11-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
Can you tell any difference in performance with the new mats? The additional grip will be nice but I'm worried about the extra weight.
There's definitely an extra 1-2 pounds of sprung weight vs. the E90 mats. The N20 engine won't feel a thing. Worried about the N55 as it is very sensitive to increased weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorenzzo View Post
Those mats are beauts, way too nice to be directly exposed to the dirt of winter. Fortunately BMW makes covers for those winter mats. They're carpeted, luxurious and look just like the originals.
If you can give me a link to the BMW carpeted winter mat covers I'd appreciate it. I don't want to see the rubbers get ruined either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer3oi View Post
will those mats void your warranty?
I asked my SA that question specifically and was told that so long as I do a clean un-install before returning the car I'll be in no danger of this mod voiding the warranty. I've documented this conversation and placed it in the leatherette owners manual folio for future reference.

BJ

Old 11-12-2012, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i (Coming Soon)
Quote:
There's definitely an extra 1-2 pounds of sprung weight vs. the E90 mats. The N20 engine won't feel a thing. Worried about the N55 as it is very sensitive to increased weight.

That's why I'm considering installing the front mats in the rear and the rear mats in the front... for better weight distribution in my nose-heavy 335.

And on a side note, I bought mine a couple months ago and they are the nice and rubbery... not slippery at all. If they've changed the material used since then I am glad I have got the old style.

Last edited by jbbrann; 11-12-2012 at 10:06 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbrann View Post
That's why I'm considering installing the front mats in the rear and the rear mats in the front... for better weight distribution in my nose-heavy 335.

If your 335i was manufactured in South Africa, you're going to need these. They weigh a ton and smell like death, but they sell 'em by the foot at Home Depot and are perfect for the rainforest mud your car was tuned for.

BJ

Old 11-12-2012, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Great job?

You do it yourself like I did, or have the dealer do the install?

BJ
yes i did it myself with the help of everybody here
Old 11-12-2012, 01:06 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
5 star thread
Old 11-12-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
i finally finished installing mines
Those look like they have a slight lip around the edge to keep water, etc. on the mats. Is that correct?
Old 11-12-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 328i Sport
Quote:

If you can give me a link to the BMW carpeted winter mat covers I'd appreciate it. I don't want to see the rubbers get ruined either.

BJ
Sure, no problem. These are nice too so you may want to cover them.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/acc...er/finder.html
2002 M3
1988 BMW 325is
Never again anything larger than a 3 series sedan.
Old 11-12-2012, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86hawki View Post
Those look like they have a slight lip around the edge to keep water, etc. on the mats. Is that correct?
yes they have a lip to keep snow, water on the mats.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:05 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
I just installed the all weather mats in my M. Looks good, BJ.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Great. Thanks.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:52 PM

Quote:

My E90 vs. my F30 mats in photos above.

The mats are OEM for the Luxury line, given to me by my dealership just like the old ones. They are heavy in weight, they have Velcro locks (pre-installed, no disks) just like the old ones.

On the plus side, they have a higher outer lip to keep melted snow securely trapped on the mat itself. On the E90 mats, the edge was more of a bead and less of a chiseled lip; the F30's are an improvement. They also ride-up the carpet higher and tighter, really are custom-fit quite snugly and securely.

The only downside is that (so far) they are a lot more slippery underfoot, at least during the break-in period. I believe its because the E90 mats were ribbed all over, pinstriped at the top and curve-striped at the bottom, there was no large, smooth surface that went un-ribbed. The new design has patches that are un-ribbed. Now, one can say that the spot I'm complaining about (under my right heel) has more ribbage than the old model, but it's not working out that way yet.

BJ
I was noticing how much nicer the interior of your E90 was as compared to your F30. Looking at the larger size of the speakers in the doors in the E90, the lack of door storage in the F30, the seat bottoms that extended in the E90 and don't in your F30, the lack of wood trim in the F30, and the lack of the integrated GPS display if you had one in your E90. Even the steering wheel looks cheaper. One can see where the F30 interior has become cheaper and more like a Hyundai. Very disappointing. IMO, you have bigger fish to fry than worrying about your all-season floor mats.

Last edited by beden1; 11-12-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:15 PM

Quote:
I was noticing how much nicer the interior of your E90 was as compared to your F30. Looking at the larger size of the speakers in the doors in the E90, the lack of door storage in the F30, the seat bottoms that extended in the E90 and don't in your F30, the lack of wood trim in the F30, and the lack of the integrated GPS display if you had one in your E90. Even the steering wheel looks cheaper. One can see where the F30 interior has become cheaper and more like a Hyundai. Very disappointing. IMO, you have bigger fish to fry than worrying about your all-season floor mats.

Funny how owners of used E92's have nothing but bad things to say about new BMW's.

Speakers: The F30 has more speakers than the E90. The system that comes standard is the "enhanced" system in Europe which sounds substantially better than the standard system in the E90.

Storage: The F30 has more storage than the E90, they are just more integrated and hidden from view. Door pockets are bigger, armrest is bigger, glovebox larger, trunk opens wider, and there is a secret compartment under the headlight switch. Cupholders are normal now, not cheap plastic spring-loaded jobs.

Wood Trim: There is more wood trim in the F30, in my case the Anthracite which looks much better than the Burl, especially on a grey exterior and saddle interior.

GPS: The new iDrive screen is much better than the old thing stuck in a humpty-hump double shroud.

Steering Wheel: Much more comfortable in the hand, you're comparing my M-Sport wheel with the standard wheel. I chose to avoid the M-Sport this time.

Seats: You are comparing sport seats to the standard seats. An unfortunate compromise due to wanting a Saddle interior. Had I wanted sport seats I'd have gotten a Sport line or an M-Sport line as they are still available in those packages and of better design and quality than the 8 year old E90 design.

Crappy Used and American Cars: I liked your sig better when you listed all the crappy used cars you owned. I know you're ashamed, but please put them back and be honest with everyone.

Proper Forum: You have no intentions of buying an F30 so please go back to the E9X subforum and enlighten the 18 year olds with their LED's-in-the-grill challenges.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-12-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
You are really starting to come off as an old grumpy man.

and BJ, don't bother with beden. He's an old man that obviously is jealous of the F30. Beden needs to spend more time with the wife, and less worrying about the size of speakers.

Last edited by justinnum1; 11-12-2012 at 04:44 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:43 PM

Quote:

Funny how owners of used E92's have nothing but bad things to say about new BMW's.

Speakers: The F30 has more speakers than the E90. The system that comes standard is the "enhanced" system in Europe which sounds substantially better than the standard system in the E90.

Storage: The F30 has more storage than the E90, they are just more integrated and hidden from view. Door pockets are bigger, armrest is bigger, glovebox larger, trunk opens wider, and there is a secret compartment under the headlight switch. Cupholders are normal now, not cheap plastic spring-loaded jobs.

Wood Trim: There is more wood trim in the F30, in my case the Anthracite which looks much better than the Burl, especially on a grey exterior and saddle interior.

GPS: The new iDrive screen is much better than the old thing stuck in a humpty-hump double shroud.

Steering Wheel: Much more comfortable in the hand, you're comparing my M-Sport wheel with the standard wheel. I chose to avoid the M-Sport this time.

Seats: You are comparing sport seats to the standard seats. An unfortunate compromise due to wanting a Saddle interior. Had I wanted sport seats I'd have gotten a Sport line or an M-Sport line as they are still available in those packages and of better design and quality than the 8 year old E90 design.

Crappy Used and American Cars: I liked your sig better when you listed all the crappy used cars you owned. I know you're ashamed, but please put them back and be honest with everyone.

Proper Forum: You have no intentions of buying an F30 so please go back to the E9X subforum and enlighten the 18 year olds with their LED's-in-the-grill challenges.

BJ
I would compare my "crappy used cars I owned" (and my current stable of cars) to your list that you have posted in the past, anyday of the week, thank you very much! My list, loaded with high performance German and US cars, versus your list of pedestrian Japanese grocery getters, should be a source of personal embarrassment for you, I would think (especially since you present yourself as some self proclaimed auto guru).

You posted the pictures comparing the two car interiors. I just happened to look at them and my opinion is that BMW has cheapened the interior, which is a sad state probably based on their need to keep pricing in line with increasing competition and the economy.

My "used" E93 "is" has 4,350 miles since buying it new over 2 1/2 years ago. That's still fairly new in my book.

I'm happy that you really like your car (also used), but the way I look at it, the new F30 has cheapened the brand (judging from your pictures) and will probably hurt my resale value through association.

Last edited by beden1; 11-12-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:33 PM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
You are really starting to come off as an old grumpy man.

and BJ, don't bother with beden. He's an old man that obviously is jealous of the F30. Beden needs to spend more time with the wife, and less worrying about the size of speakers.
Beden has a Carrera GTS. I hardly think he's 'jealous'. If he wanted, he'd probably buy four of them(One of each line, fully loaded) because that's how many it takes to match the price of the GTS. As someone who drives the F30 all day everyday, in my opinion he's right. The sound the doors make, The way they shut, the quality of materials has cheapened. Doesn't inspire confidence anymore. The F30 may be a better car overall then the e9x, due to features, and increased leg room, and all technology, but it doesn't inspire the same confidence as the previous generations did. The half-assed electric steering doesn't help.

BMW has fallen into the same hole that Mercedes-Benz fell into back in 2000 when quality dropped. They lost a significant amount of customers. I can assure you, this will also be the case for BMW in the long run. Today, Mercedes Benz uses higher quality materials in each respective category, and are even more fun to drive. BMW will eventually bring the quality back up, but this is after it finishes watering down the brand with 20 new models.
Quote:
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.

Last edited by -=Hot|Ice=-; 11-12-2012 at 05:41 PM.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post

I don't know why. The F30 is such a great car. You'd expect every BMW owner to appreciate it.

BJ

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
I would compare my "crappy used cars I owned" (and my current stable of cars) to your list that you have posted in the past, anyday of the week, thank you very much! My list, loaded with high performance German and US cars, versus your list of pedestrian Japanese grocery getters, should be a source of personal embarrassment for you, I would think (especially since you present yourself as some self proclaimed auto guru).

You posted the pictures comparing the two car interiors. I just happened to look at them and my opinion is that BMW has cheapened the interior, which is a sad state probably based on their need to keep pricing in line with increasing competition and the economy.

My "used" E93 "is" has 4,350 miles since buying it new over 2 1/2 years ago. That's still fairly new in my book.

I'm happy that you really like your car (also used), but the way I look at it, the new F30 has cheapened the brand (judging from your pictures) and will probably hurt my resale value through association.
Look, you and I have always gotten along, no real need for it to go south now.

Truth is you've been spending the last three years in a used car forum polluted by 17 year olds asking juvenile questions so you come in here and act in an unfortunately preconditioned juvenile manner. Problem is, the adults are in this forum and the juvenile stuff doesn't fly, different speed rating over here. The kids might be impressed by your stable of used German hardware, the adults not so much.

I am, by no means, a self-proclaimed auto-guru. I don't know much of anything about performance, but I do know a thing or two about status-symbols and contribute where appropriate on that topic.

You aren't interested in buying an F30, you seem to want attention for your Porsche that you aren't getting in the E9X playgym, that's fine, but no need to put down the F30 since you don't really know anything about it. I think that's fair. Every week there's a newb proclaiming that our cars are boats, some GM fan posting up a new Cadillac thread, don't need an existing BMW owner to sh-t on our rides. We get it. We know why people think the F30 is a violation of the Temple Of Series 3. We don't need someone who should know better joining the pile-on.

BJ

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-12-2012 at 08:00 PM.