Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-09-2012, 09:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335i Coupe
E46 Coupe VS. Sedan Handling

My friend is trying to decide whether to buy a coupe or sedan. He prefers the looks of the coupe but also knows the sedan has advantages in room and ease of backseat entry. Has anyone driven both and can compare the handling of the two. Any other advantages or disadvantages of the two? I read some threads about the coupe and sounds like the doors are very heavy and not easy to open in tight quarters. Resale value any different?
Thanks for your input!
Old 11-09-2012, 09:26 AM
Dreaming of Track Days

Mein Auto: ED'd 330Ci / E30 325i
The handling is essentially the same, if they have the same suspension - ie a ZHP coupe and ZHP sedan will handle the same. The rest is personal preference.
.................................................. ............................................. Space for rent .................................................. ..........................................
Old 11-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Freedom isn't free!!

Mein Auto: '06 Sonora/Beige 330i :-)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsqbm View Post
The handling is essentially the same, if they have the same suspension - ie a ZHP coupe and ZHP sedan will handle the same. The rest is personal preference.
+1. Coupes sell for more than sedans. That is universally true, not just for BMW 3ers. Coupe doors are always longer and heavier than sedan doors and harder to open in tight spaces.

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -- Geo. Orwell

2006 330i Sonora w/ ActiveAutoWerke flash tune :-)
2004 330i ZHP Imola/NB - missed
2000 328i TiAg - gone but not forgotten

** Join the BMW CCA www.bmwcca.org
member #388003 - Use me as a referral & you could win a one day ///M Driving School!! **
Old 11-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 330ci
The doors suck, windows do not have frame, as s result of thst the drivers door tends to be noisy due to aged weather stripping, also you have to close the windows when the doors are closed otherwise the window won't seat right. But all that being said I love my coupe, and majority of the coups came standard with sport suspension and the painted door trim. Also the doors are not that bad in tight spaces (shame on you if you try to weasel into a small space w/ your bummer in the first place)

2001 330CI
Old 11-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: e46 ZHP, e90 M3
Structurally, the sedan is more rigid! Does that contribute to better handling even by a small delta, can't say.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:50 AM
Retired USAF MSgt

Send a message via MSN to RivMcLean
Mein Auto: 2004 330Ci, 87 Toyota PU
I drove both and bought the Coupe. The sedan was confortable to drive, but the Coupe felt more agile on the road which is what I was looking for, a sportier drive. This was my first BMW and not knowing anything between the two models at that time I bought by seat of the pants feel. It comes down to personal preference. No wife, no kids, no need for extra doors
Moreno Valley, CA
Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 AM

Mein Auto: 330i ZHP M/T
I owned both, coupe and sedan, Coupe ZSP and current Sedan ZHP, they handle somewhat the same, the Sedan has a slight edge

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Give a man a Chef and he feeds him for a lifetime
Old 11-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 330i
I have the sedan and not the coupe. But, I have owned Coupes before with a Camero and the door thing is deffenetly a negative part of having a coupe in general. Love my Sedan!!!
Old 11-10-2012, 08:14 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Coupes rule, sedans drool!

One annoying issue with the coupe is the fold-down rear seats... they creek. If you're getting a newer model with active bi-xenon headlights, simply sign on the dotted line. This is a feature not available on the sedan and it is really an awesome advancement in headlight technology. If you drive on twisty roads at night, like I do, it's a must have option. IMO.

If you're not familiar with it, when in "A" active mode, the headlights turn with the steering wheel to help you look around corners better. Outstanding!!!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
I bought my sedan partially because of the doors being smaller. Really like being able to open the door behind me to throw my stuff in rather than flipping the driver seat forward. I suppose when you hit forty practical makes you smile more often than looking cool.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:36 PM

Mein Auto: 330ci (and Archer II)
Being fairly tall (6'2"), I like the larger doors and door openings; gives me more room to get in and out without bumping something. I guess the large doors might be a slightl disadvantage in tight quarters, but can't really say it's been an issue.
Theorically, the sedan is more rigid than the coupe, partly becsuse the coupe has the fold down rear seats. I doubt very much that the difference would be noticeable to anyone but a professional race driver. (And my coupe does quite well on the track.) I figure my (intentional) lack of moon roof more than makes up for the loss of rigidity due to the folding seats.. I've never noticed the fold down seats creaking or making any noise and they have come in handy many times. I can carry 10' and even 12' lumber when properly padded.
If I were buying again, I would definitely go for the coupe again...