Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i M Sport Mperf
Little Nervous. Had to put 2 gallons of regular 87 octane in the 50i today

Should I be worried?
I didnt have enough gas to get home from work today.
I had 4 gallons of Premium 93 in the tank and I had the gas station attendent add 1.70 gallons of 87 octane regular because there is no premium anywhere on long island since the hurricane and power outages.

Somebody tell me I have nothing to worry about if I just baby my car home tonight?
I am aware that todays ECU technology in most cars have knock sensors and electronic timing and a/f table adjustment on the fly so I am assuming as long as I dont beat on the car, the ECU will adjust to the lower mixed octane?

It is an X5 50i with M Performance Package.

Thanks.
Dom

Last edited by doms50msport; 11-09-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '15 M4; '11 X5d
Don't worry about it.
What do you think your dealer used the day you took delivery....
2015--V60 Polestar (#49:80)
2012--E92 335is*
2011--E70 X5d
2011--E89 Z435is*
2009--E89 Z435i*
2008--E92 335i [ED 2/23/08]*
2007--MkV GTI*
2006--E90 330i*
2005--E83 X3*
2004--E83 X3*
2003--E46 325Ci*
*retired
Old 11-09-2012, 12:09 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Old 11-09-2012, 12:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Did you know....

Super Premium Gasoline/AKI 91
This gasoline is highly recommended.
However, you may also use gasoline with less
AKI. The minimum AKI Rating is:
> BMW X5: 87
> BMW X6: 89
If you use gasoline with this minimum AKI Rating,
the engine may produce knocking sounds
when starting at high outside temperatures.
This has no affect on the engine life.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: A box with 4 circles
If your worried about your performance, you may notice a slight decrease, possibly poor mpg. However your ecu can adapt on the fly. (haha what does your dealer use was a great comment)

Honestly I wouldn't be worried about 2 gallons of lower octane gas, I'd worried about whats in any amount of gas sold during this recovery period.

Most gas owners don't really practice proper maintenance (just enough to get by inspections).
Since the volume of gas being Supplied is being used up till the last drop, whatever crud is down in the tanks are probs being brought to the surface when they're refilling every day.

Also if any water is in the tanks, which usually there's a small quantity of water there, usually floats to the top. Water + combustion engine = excuse for warranty claims denied

Im gonna stop now lol

Why does this matter?
CAUSE EVERY TIME someone says Lexus has better build quality, one should consider what Toyota their Lexus Engine and chassis platform comes out of and how long that part has been tested in the real world!
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Wow.. even a repeat of several full tank of 87 octane gas in your tank will do no harm to your X5.. regardless it is a M-sport or 5.0...
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 11-09-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 50i M Sport Mperf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kzang View Post
Wow.. even a repeat of several full tank of 87 octane gas in your tank will do no harm to your X5.. regardless it is a M-sport or 5.0...
Actually Kzang, your info is slightly off. The x5 50i has a AKI MINIMUM rating of 89. You can find this number in the manual as well as next to the fuel door interior.

Also, AKI rating is NOT at the pump fuel grade rating.

Didnt know I was going to stir the pot here but I was honestly just curious about harming the motor. I am glad that this wont hurt anything. Thanks guys.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:48 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 50i
I am in Brooklyn and dealing with the same nightmares getting gas. I am not worried about running regualr. The knock sensor will retard timing, adjust air fuel mixture, etc. As people have said, it may be a little slower. I have made an effort not to beat on the truck too much. I am sure the computer will reduce boost to the correct level; but, I figure driving sensibly for a change may help me get better than 12 MPG in the city.

PS. Gas can lines are way shorter by me and not subject to odd/even rationing. I have been able to get $30 in gas on 3 occasions with my longest wait 1.25 hours and the shortest was 30 minutes at 5:00AM.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:21 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The water in the storage tank is at the bottom -- since gas floats on water. Usually the station has filters that will remove any sediment from the bottom of the tank -- and there is plenty of that! However as stated in this kind of extremis situation things happen that might not otherwise occur. The "regular gas" will not harm your car -- indeed there may come a time that the only gas you can get will be "regular".
Old 11-10-2012, 07:32 AM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian425 View Post
I am in Brooklyn and dealing with the same nightmares getting gas. I am not worried about running regualr. The knock sensor will retard timing, adjust air fuel mixture, etc. As people have said, it may be a little slower. I have made an effort not to beat on the truck too much. I am sure the computer will reduce boost to the correct level; but, I figure driving sensibly for a change may help me get better than 12 MPG in the city.

PS. Gas can lines are way shorter by me and not subject to odd/even rationing. I have been able to get $30 in gas on 3 occasions with my longest wait 1.25 hours and the shortest was 30 minutes at 5:00AM.
We were having the same problems up here in westchester but I can happily tell you the lines are short/gone and higher octane gas has returned to many stations. Hang tough, I'm sure relief is working it's way down.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: German
OP, I think you should be fine for the time being. Just don't do this on a regular basis

I wonder if octane boosters would help?

I was in the area last week and it was incredibly hard to come across petrol, but diesel. No issues at all.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: x3,x5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
OP, I think you should be fine for the time being. Just don't do this on a regular basis

I wonder if octane boosters would help?

I was in the area last week and it was incredibly hard to come across petrol, but diesel. No issues at all.

Funny you say that, your right, diesel has been easy up here too!

I almost went out and bought some octane booster because I was thinking the same thing, luckily for us up further north the supply returned before I needed to do that.

Might not a bad idea for the OP if it hasn't returned in his area yet.