Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-10-2012, 08:10 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlukja View Post
This is exactly my problem with this feature. If there was a delay of a couple of seconds once you come to a full stop then I'd be fine with it. As it is right now, the ASS turns off the engine at stop signs and in stop and go traffic on the freeway. I agree with the concept of the feature and its fine at stoplights or other short stops.
wait what? You shift into neutral at stop signs and stop and go traffic? Why? Sounds odd and too much extra work that you would do that.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 335i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
Nope. I like it too, as do most of the people who drive in the car with me. Everyone realizes that ASS puts the F30 into a class all by itself: a car that has personalities to match your mood. Want a comfortable car with a bitchin' stereo to commute in that gets 28MPG? Turn ASS on. Want a car that blows the doors off almost anything next to you at a stop light? Turn ASS off.

If everything I owned could be as flexible as my 335i.
I don't mind it at all. As far as the driving modes are concerned, I use them all. From Eco Pro to Sport (Not sport + though. I don't mind the nannies).

In town I toggle between Eco Pro and Comfort, depending on the situation. The highway in comfort when Im relaxed, and sport with manual shifting when I really want to enjoy the car's capabilities. Driving in Sport/Sport Manual is like waking a sleeping stallion. It really is like having 5 cars in one. People cannot see this.

2008 BMW 335i Retired
2009 BMW 535i Retired

2012 F30 335i sportline (Black Sapphire/Black Leatherette/Black High gloss trim, Technology, Sport Auto, Premium Sound, BMW Apps.)
Old 11-10-2012, 09:19 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
wait what? You shift into neutral at stop signs and stop and go traffic? Why? Sounds odd and too much extra work that you would do that.
No. I should have clarified. I have the auto transmission. As soon as I come to a complete stop the ASS shuts the engine off. If there is no one else at the intersection then no problem, I roll slightly and then continue with no engine shutdown. But if I do have to come to a complete stop then the auto restart takes just a smidge too long. I can be on the gas while the engine is still restarting. Similarly, in stop and go traffic, sometimes I come to a complete stop just as the car in front of me starts moving again. Its at that moment that ASS shuts the engine off.
Old 11-10-2012, 10:22 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
No. I should have clarified. I have the auto transmission. As soon as I come to a complete stop the ASS shuts the engine off. If there is no one else at the intersection then no problem, I roll slightly and then continue with no engine shutdown. But if I do have to come to a complete stop then the auto restart takes just a smidge too long. I can be on the gas while the engine is still restarting. Similarly, in stop and go traffic, sometimes I come to a complete stop just as the car in front of me starts moving again. Its at that moment that ASS shuts the engine off.
oh sorry, I assumed you had MT. That does sound annoying.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-11-2012, 08:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to vern
Mein Auto: 01 330ci 05 530i 06 X3
[QUOTE=windsor027;7186837

I much rather do this routine than have some guy screw with my car. The car is perfect, no issues so far and about to hit 1900 miles. Why screw with a good thing.[/QUOTE]
If you can't trust"some guy" to screw with you car IMO find another guy to screw with your car. Good luck
cheers
vern
2012 335iA Blk. Sapphire- Sport-Blk. Dakota Leather/Red-Brushed Alum.Trim-DAP-PP-CWP Rear View Camera-BMW Asst w/Enhanced BT&USB-High Gloss Blk.Trim Hghight-PSP-Speed Limit Info-Tech. Pkg-PDC-Rear Manual Sun Shades-SAT-Variable Sport Steering-Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats-Euro Del 5/14/12-Redelivery 7/16/12 2006 X3 3.0iA 4/6 Silver Gray Metallic-Black Leather-Nav-PP-SP-Xenon Headlights-PDC-Heated Front Seats-Privacy Glass-Servotronic Steering-Premium Sound System-R R R- Wheel Locks- Rubber Mats
Old 11-11-2012, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
...I can be on the gas while the engine is still restarting...
Sorry, I don't buy this.

I would accept that it's less than smooth shutting down and starting up (which someone plausibly suggested is the AT loading and unloading torque).

But I've driven four different F30s with ATs (both with 2TB and without) and the one thing that's been impossible to do is get my right foot from the brake to the accelerator faster than the engine's restart time. In normal use, I submit it's impossible to beat the restart time.

I have nearly 4K miles on my car -- and I've never been able to beat it. I've sure tried -- and I am not slow of foot. :-)
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Old 11-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy this.

I would accept that it's less than smooth shutting down and starting up (which someone plausibly suggested is the AT loading and unloading torque).

But I've driven four different F30s with ATs (both with 2TB and without) and the one thing that's been impossible to do is get my right foot from the brake to the accelerator faster than the engine's restart time. In normal use, I submit it's impossible to beat the restart time.

I have nearly 4K miles on my car -- and I've never been able to beat it. I've sure tried -- and I am not slow of foot. :-)
i bet you could beat it if you left foot brake.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-11-2012, 06:30 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328i
Quote:
Sorry, I don't buy this.

I don't know. Maybe the implementation on my car is different. If I take my foot off the brake and quickly press the accellerator the car is still in the middle of its starting sequence. It then feels like its choking. I have to anticipate the light changing, take my foot off the brake, allow for the 1-2 seconds for the engine to start, and then give it gas. Suffice to say its far from seamless.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:25 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick955 View Post
So my car went in to have the ASS disabled (remember last setting) and in the process, they bricked the programming. SM called to let me know the BMW engineers are trying to figure it out but I won't get the car back.

Looking forward to a nice weekend with it... only had it for less than a week before it went in on Wednesday. I have an X3 loaner which is like driving a boat in comparison. I guess the good news is that BMW authorized $500 in credit towards accessories or performance gear for my trouble.

So be careful if you take it to get that feature shut off!
Ok, so the final update, looks like they got the new software and it's all good to go. BMW was giving me $500 for the trouble, but the SM remembered me asking about price on the M Performance Exhaust.... well, he told me they giving it to me for FREE, installed, because of the inconvenience!! I also purchased the Black grills and they will drop those in for me too. WOW!

So, 6 days without the car, but a heck of nice compensation on the part of my dealer and BMW!

2013 335i /// M-Sport xDrive w/Black Dakota/Blue trim, Summer-19" Potenza S001's, Winter-18" Sottozero II's | Sport AT | Tech Pkg | Prem. Pkg | HK Audio | Cold Weather Pkg | RV Cam | Park Dist. | M-Perf Exhaust | Black Grills

Last edited by Rick955; 11-13-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Re-Badged

Mein Auto: 2015 C63 AMG S
Quote:
So my car went in to have the ASS disabled (remember last setting) and in the process, they bricked the programming. SM called to let me know the BMW engineers are trying to figure it out but I won't get the car back.

Looking forward to a nice weekend with it... only had it for less than a week before it went in on Wednesday. I have an X3 loaner which is like driving a boat in comparison. I guess the good news is that BMW authorized $500 in credit towards accessories or performance gear for my trouble.

So be careful if you take it to get that feature shut off!
The X3 wouldn't happen to be an underwhelming boat, would it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Half the fun of succeeding in life is fighting the fight and making it.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:43 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i M Sport xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
The X3 wouldn't happen to be an underwhelming boat, would it?
Compared to the 335? Yeah, I'd say a bit underwhelming indeed! But I guess I could have a mini-van or something really dreadful vs. a brand new X3, so I guess I can't complain too much!

2013 335i /// M-Sport xDrive w/Black Dakota/Blue trim, Summer-19" Potenza S001's, Winter-18" Sottozero II's | Sport AT | Tech Pkg | Prem. Pkg | HK Audio | Cold Weather Pkg | RV Cam | Park Dist. | M-Perf Exhaust | Black Grills
Old 11-13-2012, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 328i F30
Quote:
Ok, so the final update, looks like they got the new software and it's all good to go. BMW was giving me $500 for the trouble, but the SM remembered me asking about price on the M Performance Exhaust.... well, he told me they giving it to me for FREE, installed, because of the inconvenience!! I also purchased the Black grills and they will drop those in for me too. WOW!

So, 6 days without the car, but a heck of nice compensation on the part of my dealer and BMW!
Result!