Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > Everything Else > Off-Topic

Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime safe" and in good taste. No personal attacks allowed. Political posting is restricted to the Political Science forum!

Old 11-09-2012, 02:18 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to TXSTYLE
Mein Auto: 750i (F01)
Thumbs down Well That Didn't take Long... Lakers FIRE Coach Mike Brown!

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba--la...-09551809.html

You know... That is pretty damn shady of them to fire the man after only 5 games. Sure they want to win... Who TF don't?

Personally I am ecstatic to see them have their worst record in over 3 decades! That's what trying to be the "Yankees of the NBA" and buy championships will get you: stacked full of talent and all-stars but no chemistry.
I hope they miss the Playoffs all together after pulling this d1ck move. I mean in all honesty, every analyst on earth says that given time they will be just fine and formidable. New players, new system it all takes time.

What say you fellas? Dick move or Perfect Timing?

~ Big Marcus
Old 11-09-2012, 02:31 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Guess the Kobe 'crybaby' Bryant death stare did him in....

Old 11-09-2012, 02:36 PM
The Entertainment Guru

Quote:
By Helene Elliott

November 9, 2012, 1:20 p.m.
On what turned out to be his last day as the Lakers' coach, Mike Brown was as upbeat as ever, still sure his high-salaried, high-drama team would emerge from its 1-4 funk and become the powerful and multifaceted machine he believed it could be.

Brown ran another lengthy practice Thursday after the team had played a road game the night before -- to the end the man players last season nicknamed "all day, every day" because of his love for long practices. Again in character, he took time afterward to talk to players one on one, spending extra time alone with a flailing Pau Gasol and then slapping hands with Gasol after they walked off the practice court in El Segundo.

"Guys still believe," Brown said. "For us that's the biggest thing right now while we're trying to find our way."

Brown didn't get a chance to guide them to more secure footing. Dismissed on Friday with the Lakers in the unaccustomed spot of last in the Western Conference, he will be remembered as a nice man who wanted more time to install his version of the Princeton offense and perfect a spotty defense, but learned the hard way that time is a precious commodity in a hurry-up world.

His positive demeanor wasn't an act. It was how he is, how he felt he had to act, and he stayed true to the very end.

"I'm frustrated. I think we all are frustrated," Brown said Thursday. "We want to win every time we step on the floor. But as the head coach of this team, for me to walk around pissed or mopey or however you want to call it is not the right thing to do because I believe in what we're doing on both ends of the floor.

"I really think that we're getting better. And so I'm going to point out to these guys what we're doing wrong, but also I'm going to point out to them what we're doing right. I'm not going to beat them over the head with it, but I'm going to keep coaching, keep coaching, keep coaching because it's a long process as opposed needing to have it yesterday, with everything."

So he kept coaching until he was told Friday morning that he wasn't the Lakers coach anymore, because there can't be slow learning processes for a team that has won 16 NBA championships and built a huge payroll -- besides taking on enormous luxury tax liabilities -- in order to pursue a 17th title while Kobe Bryant's aching legs and shoulders can still carry them.

Bryant insisted until the end that he supported Brown. When it was suggested to Bryant on Thursday that his stone-faced glare toward the end of the Lakers' loss at Utah on Wednesday night had been directed at Brown, he vehemently denied the coach had been his target. "I've been his biggest supporter," Bryant said.

"Everybody here would be frustrated. You lose a game, you're upset. You're angry. So it has nothing to do with one particular person."

Five games isn't a huge sample to evaluate a coach. But the seeds of the decision to dismiss Brown were planted last season, when the Lakers were eliminated in the second round of the playoffs for the second straight spring, and they grew during a listless, directionless 0-8 exhibition season. When they continued their high-turnover, low-emotion performances in losing four of their first five games in the regular season, his fate was sealed.

He wasn't allowed more time. It didn't matter that he saw improvements here and there. These are the Lakers. They don't do things in small, subtle steps. They win big or go home, and Mike Brown now goes home.
http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,1234616.story

~ Big Marcus
Old 11-09-2012, 04:09 PM
Ones and Zeros

Mein Auto: Dirty-Thirty
They need to fire Kobe next. Then the team will be complete.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
Renaissance Dude

Mein Auto: 1987 325i, 410K
I didn't want to say it before but Dwight Howard doesn't impress me.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:37 AM
The Entertainment Guru

WOW..... Mike D'Antoni is the Lakers new Coach! Apparently Phil was asking for everything but ownership of the team. LOL!

BigMarcus ~ EVO 4G LTE
Old 11-12-2012, 09:19 AM
Renaissance Dude

But will Kobe approve . . .
Old 11-12-2012, 09:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
He wasn't fired after just 5 games. He was fired after last year's pathetic performance. Unlike other teams, Lakers fans are used to winning and seeing their favorite team compete. The awful 5 games demonstrates how terrible the Princeton offense really was with D12, Nash, Kobe, Gasol, and MWP.

As a Lakers fan, Brown was a ****ty coach, but I also don't think D'Antoni is the answer. His play only centers around pure offense, no defense, but with Nash knowing his system, it might work out?

Last edited by AutoUnion; 11-12-2012 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Talking

~ Big Marcus
Old 12-02-2012, 10:54 PM
Renaissance Dude

Lakers just lost to Orlando in LA, 113 to 103, first game for Howard against his old team. They're 3 and 4 under D'Antoni IIRC.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:30 AM
The Entertainment Guru

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmac2012 View Post
Lakers just lost to Orlando in LA, 113 to 103, first game for Howard against his old team. They're 3 and 4 under D'Antoni IIRC.
Wow...

Oh well... Like I said, having a team stacked with All Stars does NOT = Championship. They of all teams should know this.

And THIS ladies and Gents is why D Howard has not committed to the Lakers next season even though by rule they can offer him the most $$$. Chemistry > Glitz & Glamour

I am quite pleased thus far with their record.

~ Big Marcus
Old 12-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post

And THIS ladies and Gents is why D Howard has not committed to the Lakers next season even though by rule they can offer him the most $$$. Chemistry > Glitz & Glamour
I'm sure D12 will re-sign with us. He seems to be loving the glamour of LA.

Why would he give it up to go to some other ****hole like Dallas?

I'm not even excited about this season. 2014 will be a monster year for us. All contracts will be up (except D12, who will prob have a max deal) and there will be enough cap space to pick up at least 2 elite free-agents. Both Melo and LBJ are going to be free-agents that year. It's not like LAL has any trouble signing the best out there.

Last edited by AutoUnion; 12-03-2012 at 03:59 PM.