Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-09-2012, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: E30 M3, 2012 X3
Unhappy Spongy Brakes

Just curious if anyone else has any problem with the brakes on their 2012 X3 28. The brakes on my wife's have always felt soft and lack the feel of a BMW brake system I am used to now after a variety of other BMW's through the years. The last being her 2004 325Ci that she had prior to the X3. Honestly, my 1994 Chevy C2500 had better brakes on it!

The brakes always feel spongy, and even when I attempt to pump them the peddle will sink to the floor. If I execute a panic stop it will stop the car but then the peddle slowly sinks again. It is most noticed when making a normal stop as you are coming up to a light or in stop and go traffic. Sometimes you are not sure you are going to stop in time.

When we recently had it in for some other issues they said they drove it and found it to be as designed!!!

Of course they had the same response for the:

Passenger side wind noise that sounds like a window/door is not completely closed.

Stumble when accellerating from a stop. (delayed Accelleration) They had never heard of the issue until I pushed and offered to provide the bulliten or service document number for them.

Basicly, if the key fob reader did not indicate a problem or code then "there wasn't a problem"!

Apparently BMW Technicians at least at this dealer are unable to diagnose issues not indicated by the onboard electronics.

It is the first BMW that I have ever driven that stirs no excitement at all when driving it. And if the quality represented by this X3 is what they are building then it will be a long time before I purchase another new BMW.

It goes back in this coming Thursday for the same issues again so I thought I'd see if anyone else had experienced the poor braking we have. I asked them to just bleed the brakes and they said based on their driving the X3 it didn't need any brake work.
Ads by Google
Old 11-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
Nop. Brakes are great on my car.
Old 11-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Brakes work fine on mine. I would seriously consider taking it to a different BMW dealer in your area (even if you have to drive a little out of your way to get to it). You may get much better service and answers from another dealer.
Old 11-11-2012, 08:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 528i, 2001 Z3
Pedal sinking slowly to the floor is typically symptomatic of a bad master cylinder. Spongy brakes due to air in the lines will pump up as opposed to sinking to the floor. If it happens all the time, make them drive it with you. While all the electronic monitoring systems are great, nothing replaces a good old fashioned test drive.
Old 11-11-2012, 01:17 PM
Runon MD1

Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Spongy brakes

Hi, M3Woody.

I, too, have what I think may be a brake problem in my 2012 X35i, or perhaps it's that I'm not used to driving such a heavy car, coming from a 335d wherein the brakes were really tight.

I have come close to rear-ending cars, which I never previously did in my entire driving career.

My brake pedal doesn't sink to the floor as you describe yours does, but I really don't like the way they feel. While I will mention it when it goes in for its check-up in a month (one-year lube and oil), I suspect I will be told "Cannot replicate customer complaint."

And I also have a wind noise which to me sounds like it's coming from the right rear passenger window. Dunno.

And did I mention the car drifts to the right? The alignment is ok...they cross rotated the rear tires (left to right, not back to front), which helped a bit, but not totally.

Finally, I also experience times when the car revs from a stop (as if it's in neutral), before it abruptly changes gears. I am light on the accelerator pedal, and do not "stomp" on it. Ever. It has had the software update, but it still does it from time to time.

I suspect that the Consumer Reports December 2012 issue in which the car's reliability was the worst in its class at 80% below average and which left me stunned, is unfortunately accurate.

Best,

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-11-2012 at 01:21 PM. Reason: Added a comment to the original response, grammar
Old 11-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Dealer Appointment

Hi Richard,

I will just wait and see how the dealer appointment goes on Thursday. Not looking forward to the 2nd visit for the same issues. I'll post the results here once I get the X3 back. Perhaps it is an expectation on my part based on several BMW's I have owned that did not have these types of issues and the "operating as designed" comments to the complaints we shared.

Woody
Old 11-21-2012, 09:28 PM
Runon MD1

Spongy Brakes

M3Woody:

I was curious what if anything you learned about your brake problem when your X3 was in for servicing.

Richard
Old 11-21-2012, 09:48 PM

Rescheduled

Hi Richard,

The appointment had to be rescheduled due to some conflicting appointments. I will let you know the outcome once we get it in again.

Hope you have a Great Thanksgiving with family and friends!

Woody
Old 11-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Runon MD1

Spongy Brakes

Looking forward to hearing what happens. My car is going in in December, and I'll let you know if I learn anything.

My holiday was very nice, and hope that yours was equally so.

Richard

Last edited by Runon MD1; 11-22-2012 at 08:33 PM. Reason: grammar