Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 04-28-2014, 05:39 PM
hang up and drive!

Mein Auto: 335d
Dying battery in 335D

Folks,

I'm noticing my start up is getting a bit slow on turnover, like the battery is going weak on me.

No alarms noted and my battery voltage is showing 14V but I can only see it once the car is running so don't know what it is before I start, and no amp meter on these babies.

Battery is original, so 4 1/2 years, 70k miles. I'd guess it must be in that "due to be replaced" age range by now.

Are folks replacing batteries with OEM of buying them at an auto store? I assume they are no big deal. If so what battery are you using?

Thanks,

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Ads by Google
Old 04-28-2014, 06:17 PM
hang up and drive!

I see there is a lot of chatter about registering or recoding when battery is replaced.

Guess only the dealer or a good Indy would know how to do that. That sucks.

Now I guess I'll have to swing by my dealer to get a new battery installed. Too bad my service is not due as well.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 04-28-2014, 08:06 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
BMWhat app will be able to allow for battery registering very soon.

I've yet to change my battery as no issues have popped up but I'm planning on taking a closer look to see what battery type is in my car.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:21 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingman View Post
I see there is a lot of chatter about registering or recoding when battery is replaced.

Now I guess I'll have to swing by my dealer to get a new battery installed. Too bad my service is not due as well.
Flyingman,

I had the battery replaced in my '11 D. The dealer found it to be defective (not holding a charge) and put in an OEM battery. This was in November. What was funny is the SMgr put a trickle charger in the back seat instructing me how to use it. Apparently, the car's computer profile showed a need to drive it longer and faster in the winter months, so said the SMgr.

The battery did fail, but we are not sure why, other than everything electric working at the same time didn't help i'm sure.

BFF

2009 BMW R1200 Adventure - Dakar Yellow on Black
Old 04-29-2014, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: '13 Diesel X5 & MBZ R350
Interstate battery $120 is a great alternative to BMW factory battery which is double the cost @ $250+.
My indy installed it for $50 including registering the battery with the car so that the charge cycle is adapted to the new battery.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:10 PM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
You only have to 'code' the new battery if you switch types. For example, these cars came with white, flooded lead acid batteries from the factory. BMW has transitioned over to the AGM type. The new AGM BMW battery is black. This coding change can be performed with EDIABAS and NCSExpert. You have to change the CAS klasse_batterie to the AGM type, and change the VO to add option A090 and remove B090 if I remember correctly. If you neglect to do that, you will damage your AGM over time as the alternator will output a higher voltage than the AGM calls for.

If you stay with the same type and size (90ah), all you really have to do is tell the car a new battery has been installed. This can be achieved easily with a K+DCAN cable and the BMWLogger application. The battery registration function is provided in the free version.

The AGM is a big upgrade in my opinion. It's better in the cold and better overall due to the amount of electronics in these cars and AGM's ability to charge at a much faster rate. Exide offers the AGML5/49 which can be found for less than the BMW battery and it carries a far superior warranty.

Last edited by bdwyer; 04-29-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:

I've heard, from a BMW tech, that you only NEED to register a battery if it's not the exact same specs as the one you are replacing.

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 04-29-2014 at 05:59 PM.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM
Twin Turbo or Die

Mein Auto: 535i Sport
I would recommend just getting a battery from AutoZone or something like that. If you get one online you are going to be charged a core price, and if you go to autozone you can just give them your old core
Old 04-30-2014, 02:53 AM
hang up and drive!

True, but then you still need to have it "regsitered". Do you think the typical auto store can register a BMW battery?

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:00 AM

Mein Auto: 328d
So much for the DIY approach to replace a simple battery!
Old 04-30-2014, 10:09 AM

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
I've heard, from a BMW tech, that you only NEED to register a battery if it's not the exact same specs as the one you are replacing.
You definitely do have to register the battery change. Here is some more info on the subject.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Battery Replacement.pdf (145.3 KB, 76 views)

Last edited by bdwyer; 04-30-2014 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-30-2014, 01:47 PM

When I had my BMW battery replaced with an Interstate battery (lead acid), the indy had to register the battery with the car using a BMW unit.

The indy said it is important to register it so that the charging of the new battery can be fully charged instead of the aging battery it replaced which receives less charging due to lower capacity.
Old 04-30-2014, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwyer View Post
You definitely do have to register the battery change. Here is some more info on the subject.
No doubt. I thought it was odd as well.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:04 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwyer View Post
Sounds much too complicated for me to deal with.

Any idea if the battery would still be covered under the extended warranty????

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 04-30-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:57 AM

Nope, warranty won't cover the battery unless it is under the original 4yr/50K warranty.
Batteries, tires, shocks, brakes are not covered under CPO warranty unless maintenance package was purchased.
Old 05-01-2014, 05:42 PM
hang up and drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat_X5 View Post
Nope, warranty won't cover the battery unless it is under the original 4yr/50K warranty.
Batteries, tires, shocks, brakes are not covered under CPO warranty unless maintenance package was purchased.
I have both extended warranty and extended maintenance. Does that count???

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-01-2014, 05:54 PM
hang up and drive!

Usually batteries are warranted by the manufacturer from date of installation. They then prorate it each month over the life of the warranty, 24 months, 30, 36, etc.... If a 36 month warranted battery dies at 40 months, you get nothing. If month 16 for 36 month warranty, you get 50%.

I suppose any car battery that lasts 4 years or more, has done it's job. Shouldn't complain about getting a new one, just perhaps paying an arm and a leg at the dealer because it has to be registered by them...

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-02-2014, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
Quote:
Usually batteries are warranted by the manufacturer from date of installation. They then prorate it each month over the life of the warranty, 24 months, 30, 36, etc.... If a 36 month warranted battery dies at 40 months, you get nothing. If month 16 for 36 month warranty, you get 50%.

I suppose any car battery that lasts 4 years or more, has done it's job. Shouldn't complain about getting a new one, just perhaps paying an arm and a leg at the dealer because it has to be registered by them...
FM,
Dealer replaced my battery for free under normal warranty so I wouldn't see why extended warranty wouldn't do the same. If you don't ask the question, the answer is always NO.

I did a lot of research try ing to figure out which after market batery would give same amp-hr spec as OEM battery. In the end, the OEM battery is the least headache. They upsized me though. I went from group 94R to group 49. The battery tray can accomodate the 49.
Old 05-03-2014, 02:04 PM
hang up and drive!

I was at Pepboys today to buy some engine oil to top off my 335D and asked about battery replacement. They said they could not do the BMWs because they did not have the tool to register it. So that greatly limits the possibilities.

My battery seems to be holding up better now after daily driving. I'm sure it is on its last legs but will indeed inquire with my dealer at next service which I can feel is coming soon.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-03-2014, 04:11 PM
Jumping Jack Flash

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
Quote:
I was at Pepboys today to buy some engine oil to top off my 335D and asked about battery replacement. They said they could not do the BMWs because they did not have the tool to register it. So that greatly limits the possibilities.

My battery seems to be holding up better now after daily driving. I'm sure it is on its last legs but will indeed inquire with my dealer at next service which I can feel is coming soon.
I got a CTEK Multi US 7002 Battery Charger that I used quite a bit this winter when I wasn't driving the 335d much. On the cover of the user manual it says for lead-acid batteries 14-150Ah. Under battery types and settings, it does have a Mode 14.4V setting for wet batteries, maintenance free, and "most" Gel batteries, but for Gel it says consult manufacturer. It also has a Mode 14.7V with temperatures less than 41F, but also says it is recommended for "many" AGM batteries like Optima and Odysseys, but to also consult the AGM battery mfgr.

Having said all that, the charger was quite handy for those times when the car is sitting. This model is also suppose to "recondition" certain batteries that have been deeply discharged.

I honestly don't know which battery I have, but assume it is an older Group 94R because of its production date of April 2010.
Mods, etc: ACS M3 Sports Springs, JRZ RS1 Dmprs, Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cvr, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 Sways, M3 OEM front and rear Susp Comp Kits (except strut brace), Ground Control Caster/Camber Plates, JBD 100%, Stainless Steel Brake Lines, non-stgrd Apex ARC-8 18" wheels & Michelin PSS tires (for winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25 tires).

Old 05-06-2014, 05:24 PM
hang up and drive!

I stopped by a local Indy to discuss possible Carbon clean out and batter replacement.

He didn't convince me he had a handle the CBU on the diesels. He wanted to try a liquid spray, something like the Moly Liquid or Wynns we have seen advertised lately.

I wanted something more like the recent SIB using wands and walnut shells. He didn't have the equipment to do that, so I guess I'll have to work my charm on the dealer to get them to do thus under my extended warranty/extended maintenance.

For the battery he said no problem. Cost would be about $300 and he had the tool to reprogram/register it. Said he used an Interstate Battery. Said dealer would charge about $550.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 05-07-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
I stopped by a local Indy to discuss possible Carbon clean out and batter replacement.

He didn't convince me he had a handle the CBU on the diesels. He wanted to try a liquid spray, something like the Moly Liquid or Wynns we have seen advertised lately.

I wanted something more like the recent SIB using wands and walnut shells. He didn't have the equipment to do that, so I guess I'll have to work my charm on the dealer to get them to do thus under my extended warranty/extended maintenance.

For the battery he said no problem. Cost would be about $300 and he had the tool to reprogram/register it. Said he used an Interstate Battery. Said dealer would charge about $550.
Sounds reasonable I guess. 1 hour labor plus piece of mind.
Old 05-13-2014, 09:21 AM
hang up and drive!

This morning while getting ready to pull out of garage to go to work, pushed engine start and NADA!

Have plenty of voltage, lights, etc... but no cranking power. Thought about my options as my wifes car was in service so no other vehicle to consider jump starting it.

I couldn't even put the car in N to roll it out to get access to jump start it. My neighbor gave me a hand, pulled his battery out and was able to get the car in N, then rolled it back but not enough cranking amps just with his battery so we had to put it back in and jump start it with his engine revving. Bingo, engine started.

By the way, although the battery is in the trunk the jumper points are under the engine hood. There is a well marked Positive connection with a plastic red cap on the upper right side (passenger) of the engine bay and then an obscure grounding terminal on the chassis along the outer edge of the compartment, same side but a little forward. (p.s. helps to read the Owner's Manual on this)

So I immediately headed back over to the Indy shop where in short order they installed a new Interstate Megatron battery and re programmed the car. That wiped out all errors and codes, trip and MPG, etc... The tech showed me that there was one code still active he could not reset which said it was the Auxiliary Cooling Water Pump (don't have code number handy but will post later). He asked if I had any other warnings, etc... and I said no. I double checked with my Garmin Ecoroute and nothing is showing as being active. No issues with operating temps, etc.... The tech said it did not necesarily mean it wasn't working but perhaps was using more current, etc....?

The EGR Air Recirculation Level Low code was also gone now, so we'll give it some time to see what if anything else pops up.

Anyway, new battery installed and reset, $300. Learning how to jump start my car, priceless!

By the way, never did get any actual warning, alarm, message, SES, etc.... Just noted a slower turning over at start.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)

Last edited by Flyingman; 05-13-2014 at 09:30 AM.
Old 05-13-2014, 12:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d Sport
My battery threw the battery low charge light and later the service diagram where it shows a car lift. I charged the battery directly and now its fine. I'm going in for service next month and the dealer will fix the squeaky belt noise that occurs when cold - may be the cause of lower battery charge, I don't know.
Old 05-14-2014, 12:45 PM
hang up and drive!

By the way, this is the battery that was installed by the INDY: It lists for $210.00.

MEGA-TRON PLUS 94R/H7 AUTOMOTIVE BATTERY SIX-YEAR PERFORMANCE 790 CCA
Get long life and premium performance in any cold to moderate climate with Interstate Batteries` Mega-Tron Plus 94R/H7. With 30-month free replacement and six-year performance, this 790 CCA will meet or exceed your vehicle`s starting requirements.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)