Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 01-26-2010, 08:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW X3
2006 X3 Hesitation Issue

I've read the transmission threads and don't see a symptom that exactly matches an issue I'm having. I have an '06 X3 - bought it new off the lot in August of '06 and have put 85,000 trouble-free miles on it. Love the car, but a new symptom has my enthusiasm wilting. When I drop down into passing gear (like you would merging onto the interstate), my car is hesitating right around 3,000 rpm. Seems like its only in one spot in the transmission. I have no idea what gear it's in when it does it but I'm usually going between 50-70 mph. Could a clutch be failing? Don't believe it's the engine (or valves sticking) and used detergent cleaner as part of the troubleshooting. Dealer is saying it's not throwing a fault code in the computer, and they can't do anything. Looking for suggestions to help the Dealer fix it and get it back to it's oustanding self.
Ads by Google
Old 01-26-2010, 10:10 PM
Drink the koolaid or else

Send a message via Yahoo to kjboyd
Mein Auto: 2009 MINI Cooper Clubman
needs a tune up maybe? nothing something that would throw a code out.

you say a clutch.. is it a stick or auto?I'm guessing auto because of "i don't know what gear it's in."

does it do it if you are in SD or manual mode?

have you tried the reset procedures for the auto trans?

-----
2009 MINI Cooper Clubman - "Oxley"
Nightfire Red/NFR, Tuscan Leather, CP, PP, CW, Roof Rails & Aero Kit, 16" Bridge Spokes, Xenon, Auto, English Oak Trim & Wood Wheel, Alarm, Hi-Fi

-------

2007 Volvo S60 2.5T
2007 X3.0si PlatBronze/Beige
2006 X3 3.0i, Flamenco Red/Beige
1997 528iA, Oxford/Tan
1994 318iS, Black/Gray
1979 528iA, RubyRed, Tan
1971 2002, Sahara, Saddle
Old 01-27-2010, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on the "tune up". I'll bet the plugs, fuel filter, etc. haven't been replaced in 85K miles either. I always thought that 100K was too long for plugs. I plan on doing mine at 75,000 miles. I would recommend taking it in to your trusted BMW specialty shop for a look see.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:48 PM

The BMW Dealer has had the car twice for this issue - they kept it for two days the last time. I'm an employee of a heavy equipment manufacturer - I know that a filter will show transmission trouble - so I asked if we could check the transmission fluid filter but they declined. I asked about changing the fuel filter, but they told me it had a filter that doesn't require changing. I had never heard of such a thing. They said they ran a fuel pressure test over night - but it's fine. This issue happens when I have it in Drive (not manual shift). I typically only use the manual shift in really lousy snowy weather to brake. It only happens in a very narrow band at about 3000 rpm. I called the Dealer and have made a final appointment for next Monday. If they can't figure out what's going on, I plan to take it to another BMW dealer. Sure seems like they are helpless unless the computer tells them what's wrong.
Old 01-27-2010, 06:53 PM

Forgot to thank you both for responding. I appreciate the advice!!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:17 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Could it simply be the torque converter locking up at speed during acceleration? Based on what you describe, your vehicle is in 4th gear at that point, and usually the AT locks up the torque converter as you accelerate from 50-70mph
Old 01-28-2010, 07:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
On occasion I have similar symptoms usually between 2800 and 3000 rpm. If I increase the rpm to 4000 rpm by down shifting, the surging disappears. I suspect the vanos and will look at repairing it once the weather improves.
see link.
http://www.beisansystems.com/
Old 01-28-2010, 07:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2 2004 X3's
As a side note, the leaking vanos seals and symptoms of this are likely based on oil temp and viscosity so at the early stages of leaking seals, I suspect the surging symptoms will be more evident as engine temp increases. Certainly the case in mine.
Old 01-29-2010, 06:52 AM

Mein Auto: 08 335i, 98 323ic, 05 V50
I know these issues have been beat-to-death, but this thread got me searching and it helped! I was reading this thread last night and came across the "reset procedure for AT transmission." I had read about the 07 issues and how different those are compared to anything you should experience in an 06. I'm a new X3er (over two months) and from day-one noticed the AT holding a bit from gear 1 to 2. Road conditions made no difference...flat or inclined! And it was sporadic...sometimes holding and sometimes not. My wife's Volvo is so smooth you don't even know it shifts and I had driven a 325i MT for several years so I was thinking perhaps it was just me being critical. I did the reset this morning before leaving the garage and there was a very noticeable difference in shifting from 1-2-3. With gradual acceleration it would rev to 2400-2500 rpm before shifting and this morning it would shift b/ 2100-2200. A noticeable difference! We'll see if it continues.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195020
Old 01-31-2010, 07:25 PM

The Torque Converter answer sounds good to me. I'll ask tomorrow when I take it in for a look. Thank you!!
Old 01-15-2012, 12:48 PM

Mein Auto: x3
hesitating

Quote:
Originally Posted by FooDog View Post
I've read the transmission threads and don't see a symptom that exactly matches an issue I'm having. I have an '06 X3 - bought it new off the lot in August of '06 and have put 85,000 trouble-free miles on it. Love the car, but a new symptom has my enthusiasm wilting. When I drop down into passing gear (like you would merging onto the interstate), my car is hesitating right around 3,000 rpm. Seems like its only in one spot in the transmission. I have no idea what gear it's in when it does it but I'm usually going between 50-70 mph. Could a clutch be failing? Don't believe it's the engine (or valves sticking) and used detergent cleaner as part of the troubleshooting. Dealer is saying it's not throwing a fault code in the computer, and they can't do anything. Looking for suggestions to help the Dealer fix it and get it back to it's oustanding self.
I replaced my Mass Air Flow meter and it fixed the problem on my 2004 X3
Old 01-15-2012, 02:40 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
I had the same problem with my 2004 X3.

Hesitation occured when under hard acceleration between 2800-3000 rpm. Would not throw a code for a long time, but finally did so 7 months ago. The problem was with one of the pre-catalytic converter O2 sensors. It was replaced, the problem disappeared and the X3 has been smooth as silk ever since.
Old 01-16-2012, 01:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etubom View Post
Hesitation occured when under hard acceleration between 2800-3000 rpm. Would not throw a code for a long time, but finally did so 7 months ago. The problem was with one of the pre-catalytic converter O2 sensors. It was replaced, the problem disappeared and the X3 has been smooth as silk ever since.
I have this EXACT issue on my 2008 X3... weird trans hesitation/pulse but only under heavy acceleration. Can you give me any more detail on the O2 sensor replacement?? Like cost and part number(s)??

Thanks!!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Old 01-16-2012, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3
The work was done by my dealer. The work order shows: 11-78-7-523-434 Lambda Probe L 1010. I hope that helps.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etubom View Post
The work was done by my dealer. The work order shows: 11-78-7-523-434 Lambda Probe L 1010. I hope that helps.
Thank you!

('11 E92 328i xDrive - Deep Sea Blue - New to Me)
('07 E92 328xi - Space Gray - still in the family)
Old 01-30-2012, 01:37 PM

Mein Auto: bmw x3
Same problem here with an 06 X3

My wifes '06 hesitates fairly bad when she steps on the accelerator to pass a car or get on the freeway, etc.......

We have taken the car to our dealership here in town and they can't seem to find the cause, then again the car is still under warranty since we bought a BMW extended warranty when we purchased the car. I am starting to think that they know what the problem is but don't want to fix it because it comes out of their pocket?!

Anyway, if any of you find a solution please let me know. And yes they also changed the O2 sensor and it did nothing.

We are getting very frustrated and very upset at BMW, so much so that we are thinking about never again buying a bimmer and going with a different brand. Besides the service at a lot of the Texas dealership has gone down tremendously!!
Old 12-06-2012, 05:53 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 x3 3.0i
due for plus and a fuel filter at 90 k

Quote:
would replace the fuel filter and the plugs due at 90 k service but the way fuel is now could just be a plugged filter ... in the tank
Old 12-11-2012, 02:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
Hesitation/Misfire

Quote:
The Torque Converter answer sounds good to me. I'll ask tomorrow when I take it in for a look. Thank you!!
Did you ever get your problem solved.I have the same issue with my 06 with 86000 mi.
Wondering if it was the O2 sensors as I have replaced plugs and still have the misfire under hard accelleration.
Old 12-11-2012, 04:46 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Bad coil packs can sometimes lead to a lack of power around the 3000 rpm range.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:11 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
It isn't that big of a deal, I would suggest not to start throwing money at it at this point. It could be several things, wait and see what pops up down the road.

I disagree about the VANOS, the vanos clear symptom is if when the temp is below 50 you start the car in the morning and let it sit for a few minutes to warm up, the rev's will drop until the car almost dies and then surge back up. Sometimes it will die and if you don't warm your vehicle up the car will sometimes die when you pull up to a stop sign or light. This symptom will quickly go away when the vehicle starts warming up. Yyou would also not get a good strong acceleration when getting on it, it was unsteady if that makes any sense.

If you have not done any preventive maintenance on the t-case or transmission I would have the fluid changed in both. Drop the trany pan and have a new filter install and clean it out. You can buy a transmission service kit if you are a DIYer. The t-case is a bit involved as you have to suck out the fluid and buy the liquid gold stuff from a dealer IF you can find one that will sell it to you. Best to have dealer just do it. And, don't listen to any dribble about using anything except BMW fluid for either of these to items.
Old 12-11-2012, 03:41 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 X3 2.5i
Quote:
Originally Posted by X3emist View Post
.... The t-case is a bit involved as you have to suck out the fluid ....
I thought all X3 t-cases had both a drain and a fill plug, so really easy.

It's the diffs. that are likely to have just one plug, especially the rear, but YMMV.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:08 PM

Mein Auto: 06 X3 Sport
I believe you are correct

Now that I think about it I believe you are right but I can't honestly remember.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:27 AM

Mein Auto: 2006 X3
I have changed both diff. & the transfer case within the last 20 k miles.
Have purchased the trany fluid but havn`t been able to get at it yet.It is only 86000 mi.,
and seems to be shifting good overall.The 02 sensors are expensive in Canada.Can anyone reccommend a US
supplier for NGK.
Also,where ara all the vacuum lines I should check for leakage????

Last edited by ncord; 12-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.