Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-27-2012, 07:58 PM
SB330i

Mein Auto: 2003 330i
Cool CD changer in boot seems to be jammed

Newly purchased 2003 330i

I have a 6 CD changer in the luggage compartment, but it seems to be jammed. I press the key, per the radio manual, which should cause the magazine to slide out, but nothing happens. I tried it with the ignition off and on, with the same result. I can play individual CDs in the dash mounted player, but I'd like to utilize the 6 CD changer. Any ideas?

Thanks
Ads by Google
Old 11-28-2012, 07:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW X1
Slap the top of the changer as you push the button. Just keep slapping as you hear the mechanism try to eject the cartridge. If done right the cartridge will eject. Found this remedy online in another forum and it worked for me on many an occasion.

My changer eventually wouldn't recognize any discs and is now rendered non-functional. Cartridge sticking isn't a sign of a dying changer, in my opinion, but if the changer starts to not recognize discs, then you know something's afoot.

Good luck!
Old 11-28-2012, 08:58 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E46 330CI
If you cannot fix the CD changer consider installing a DICE unit in your car. Essentially it is a very small device which allows you to connect an ipod to your in-car BMW sound system. It is plug and play and connects to the wiring harness in the trunk that connects to your CD changer. No cutting or soldering wires, just plug it in. So your CD changer is then obsolete although you can leave it physically mounted in the trunk. The DICE / ipod wiring feeds back to the glovebox and you can control the ipod from your steering wheel controls, eg, change track, album, volume etc.

I have one in my 330Cic. it's great. Take a look at the Bavarian Soundwerks website. It also shows you how to install it. It is not very difficult once it's installed and much better than having just 6 x CD's available.

Good luck!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E53 X5 2004 3.0 SPORT
I had a similar issue with the 6 CD changer jammed. I removed it and took it apart and inside a spring had come loose and jammed in the mechanism. I carefull removed it and bent it back into position and it has worked perfectly ever since!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:58 AM
Super Moderator

Mein Auto: 2009 W906
Replace it with an aftermarket DICE unit and a used iPod off eBay?

- J.C. Watts Jr.