Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 09-05-2012, 10:26 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 525i wagon
automatic climate control

I have been suspicious that my automatic climate control has been mafunctioning for a little while now, but it is getting to the time of year where it is most important fo it to work properly for me.
My car is a 1994 525 wagon with the (dreaded) automatic climate control. (I believe vent temp is varied by stepper motors controlling heater valves based on temp sensor readings in various places and a temperature setpoint ((wheels, not dials)) instead of the dials pulling/pushing cables directly attached to the heater halves) A google image search of IHKA will show you the interface I am dealing with.
I seem to have several issues with the system and look for advice on how to troubleshoot/repair.
1. First off i did mention in another persons thread that when my demist button is pressed the blower fan goes to maximum no matter what, I assume this is not normal, I have never seen it in any other vehicle. can anyone confirm or deny that this is malfunctioning?
2.drivers side temp control is a little out of whack. All summer i have had the temp at the maximum cool position and a/c on. now that it is cooler out i am looking for some heat in the mornings and evenings. however it seems that the drivers side temp control has 2 temps, hot and cold. If i have the temp wheel set at 22ish or lower it blows cool air, and anywhere above that it blows hot air, no happy medium. (there have been a couple times when i have left it set just above 22 so it is blowing hot and then it has cooled down on its own to the coldest it goes (w/o a/c), and then goes back up to hot again. I haven't left it on like that long enough to see if it will keep cycling like that though. I suspected that the interior temp sensor was real dirty to the point that it changed temp too slow and caused the system to cycle, but i cleaned it today, it wasn't that dirty at all and the system acts just the same anyways. i a hoping to get some resistance values and check the sensor for that tomorrow.
3. when air is coming out of the floor vents or window vents is is always hot as long as the engine is warm, no matter where the temperature dials are set. As far as I know that isn't how it is supposed to work, again can someone confirm?
4. the vents on the front of the dash (not top of dash) are not affected by the temperature wheel that is in the middle of them, they blow whatever the temp wheels in the main unit are set at.(except for the drivers side, it seems to only blow hot or cold, see item 2.)
sorry for what seems like a drawn out description of these issues, I hope some of you can help me out!
thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Try cleaning the thermistor in the control panel:
http://twrite.org/shogunnew/fixes/cl...ure_thermistor
Old 09-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 1994 BMW 525i wagon
i did clean it, it wasn't too dirty to begin with though. it didn't help me. I didnt check to see if that little fan was working, I will check that out this weekend hopefully.
anyone else have any input on the floor and defrost vents only blowing hot air? or the fresh air vents blowing the temp that the main temp wheels on the ihka control panel are set to and not the temp that the wheel in between them is set to?
Old 11-14-2012, 09:01 PM
I care my ride

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Too complicated A/C system.

I am in your position, and I am sharing my experience on this.

First of all I don't like how BMW make their "ultimate driving machine" with such a complicated A/C system. I drive a Toyota before, a lot cheaper than my x3 now, A/C, vent, air defrost works as people expected. No complicated control, not a lot "computer maneuver" than human desire. I don't know why they can't just keep it simple.

1. If I press my front window defrost button, air vent goes to max.
It actually doesn't defrost my window in winter. It just makes a lot wind noise, and the car cabin gets uncomfortably hot.

2. I am not so sure what you mean. I had my car putting out cold air on driver side(A/C on, and set to cold temp), but warm air on passager side.
This is due to lack of freon.

3. This happens to me!! All my window is fogged up and hard to see. I pressed on defrost button. Vent goes on max with hot air blowing out. The window is not actually getting defrosted, and car is too hot to be in.
I fix this by having A/C on and center dial scroll to cold side with 2 or 3 dots. I can't open window, because I live in Seattle and it rains most of the time.

4. I think the center two vent is controlled only by the center dial.(the circle dial scroll left/right for hot and cold air, blue/red dots).
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM
I care my ride

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Found at another thread, will try tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubADub
Why have a manual hot-cold adjust when you have "automatic" temp control??
It "allows you to mix the air from the [center] outlets for your upper body by warming or cooling the air as desired," according to the manual.

Yeah, I know. It seemed strange to me at first, too. However, having that level of control on top of the auto climate system is something I've come to appreciate. It works well.

During winter, the combination of cooling the upper body while heating the rest of the interior works great after the car's warmed up. And being able to turn the A/C compressor on manually works great for dehumidification--i.e., keeping condensation off windows.