Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series > F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)

F06 Gran Coupe (2013 - Current)
BMW's entrance into the 4 door coupe segment to go head to head with the Audi A7 and MB CLS

Old 05-11-2014, 11:27 AM

Mein Auto: 535i
Unhappy iDrive Display Goes Blank on Sunny Days

Just took delivery of my 2014 640i GC and the 10.2 inch Central Information Display (CID) goes blank whenever the car is parked in the sun for a while. On engine start, the display flashes once at normal brightness then goes so dim you can only see a hint of the largest white characters. If I drive with the A/C on, the display starts to flash bright, medium then dim about every ten seconds. Everything returns to normal after I park in the shade for a while.

BMW service says this is normal operation as the CID is shutting down to protect itself from over-heating. They say several BMW models are subject to this limitation and advise I get a sun shade for the dash. Seems like a strange problem for $90K car especially since the CID is the heart of all the fancy electronics systems and they become unusable under these conditions.
Ads by Google
Old 05-11-2014, 06:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 650 coupe SE, V8 4runner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan100 View Post
Just took delivery of my 2014 640i GC and the 10.2 inch Central Information Display (CID) goes blank whenever the car is parked in the sun for a while. On engine start, the display flashes once at normal brightness then goes so dim you can only see a hint of the largest white characters. If I drive with the A/C on, the display starts to flash bright, medium then dim about every ten seconds. Everything returns to normal after I park in the shade for a while.

BMW service says this is normal operation as the CID is shutting down to protect itself from over-heating. They say several BMW models are subject to this limitation and advise I get a sun shade for the dash. Seems like a strange problem for $90K car especially since the CID is the heart of all the fancy electronics systems and they become unusable under these conditions.

Has not happened on my 2014 650 coupe Sport Edition. I think you might have a problem - I would get it checked.

2014 650i M Sport Edition
Imola Red
Ivory White Nappa
Bang & Olufsen Sound
Full LED Lighting
LED interior Lighting
Driver Asst Pkg
Executive Pkg
M6 Spoiler
20" 373M Wheels
Heated Steering Wheel
Xpel Clear Bra
BMW MGP Brake Calipers
Bimmian alum pedal set.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:37 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
Thanks for the reply. I've had it in for service but they couldn't find any faults. They'll replace the CID if I insist but they don't think it will do any good. BMW says it is functioning as designed.

Has anyone else seen this issue with their 6 series?
Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 AM

Mein Auto: 550i M sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by gilligan100 View Post
Thanks for the reply. I've had it in for service but they couldn't find any faults. They'll replace the CID if I insist but they don't think it will do any good. BMW says it is functioning as designed.

Has anyone else seen this issue with their 6 series?
No..... this is total none sense. Have them replace the whole system or ask them to show you another car with this issue!
Old 05-30-2014, 05:11 PM
2014 640XI Vert

Mein Auto: 14 BMW 640xi convertible
Let me tell you this,..my car has been in the shop going on 2 weeks, i had a similar problem. my entire dash cluster went out (no speedometer, nothing)and the navi screen seemed to be dim, blinking in and out of day/night mode. and the radio played, then popped like there was a short, so i shut the radio off, and turned the display off.... i took in to service, and soon as i pulled in the driveway, everything came back on. i left the car, they said there was a low voltage to the battery, they charged it, everything was fine, 2 days later, same thing again. this happenend on a sat evening..i didnt drive the car that sunday, and i figured it would reset itself when i got in monday to go to work......NOTHING..this time the lights never came back on,....they ordered a new CID, or cluster, the part is in, was supposed to be ready but now saying the car took the programming for the cluster, but new fault codes came up,....another weekend without my baby, supposed to be ready by tues,....fingers crossed,.....by the way i just picked the car up in march, and it has less than 2000 miles....smh

2014 640XI CONVERTIBLE
ALPINE WHITE/BLACK DAKOTA LEATHER

2nm 20 inch wheels
5% tint
M-Pkg
Old 06-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E90 32Nxi
Per the CIC iDrive screen going dim, my SA told me that the dimming is by design to prevent overheat. While it does not make sense to me, SA said the screen dims in ultra sunny or hot conditions until its internal temp is lower. SA also said it send a code when it does so and they saw such code in my case. I can't imagine dimming lowers the temp that much compared to heating of impinging sunlight.