Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-07-2012, 01:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3
Question Help with changing headlights to HID

Hello, my x3 has the regular boring old yellow headlights and did not come with the halo lights either. I'm really interested in changing the headlights to HID and if possible adding the halo lights. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this? Every time I call BMW they say they can't do it or it will cost an arm & a leg, etc.

I don't know where to begin looking for help. Thanks in advance for reading & helping me out.
Advertisement
Old 11-07-2012, 02:51 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I think you are asking to add Xenon lights.

My recollection is that Xenon lights operate at much higher voltages and significant changes/additions to the wiring and electrical system would need to be done. This type of change doesn't amount to changing the bulbs and adding the halo rings. It's much more than that and not very practical.

You are better off leaving things the way they are....IMHO
Old 11-07-2012, 08:06 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Cost prohibitive. Involves a new headlamp assembly, reprogramming, ballasts.......thousands of dollars. Why didn't you get an X3 with the xenons in the first place?
Old 11-08-2012, 07:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
This question has come up on these forums many times and I haven't seen anyone that actually did it. Like others have posted, there are a lot of differences between HID headlights and halogens so the cost to do the swap is too high and difficult.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Why would it be to difficult or high cost to swap out the halogen bulbs to a hid kit? I have done this to plenty of cars including a early model bmw. I used an error canceler on my buddys bmw. a decent hid kit will be at least 50 bucks or a realy good one will be around 200. All you need to know is the socket type (h1,h11,9006,etc...) buy the hid kit with your correct socket type, install with a error canceler and your good to go. I have hids in my fogs right now and thats how I did it. H8 HID kit with an Ebay error canceler. Works like a dream
Old 11-11-2012, 06:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
Hid head lights actually use much less voltage than a normal halogen. The only time an HID will use and require more voltage is during initial start up, after than it draws very low power.