Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 07-10-2004, 06:22 PM
Ubergeek

Send a message via AIM to KrisL Send a message via Yahoo to KrisL
Mein Auto: 330i ZHP
woohoo, first mod: aux input adapter

I was able to install the AUX input kit on my NAV equipped car *without* removing the NAV screen or even pulling the NAV out!

I:

1) Removed the trim
2) Unscrewed the center vents and pulled them out
3) Removed the glove box and upper glove box piece

From that point, I was able to see a wiring harness (just black taped wires) near the left rear corner of the NAV unit. I felt a "bump" in the wires so I (correctly) assumed that the AUX input plug was in there. With some fumbling, I was able to take a small knife and cut the black tape to expose the plug. Plugged the adapter in, routed it behind the nav and drilled the appropriate holes in the glove box for the aux input plate. Works great!

I paid $26.50 shipped for the aux input kit on ebay. Total install time, probably around an hour. If I had to do it again, it'd take half that.

I just got my iPod on Friday and my icelink gets here on Tuesday. Funny that I couldn't wait until Tuesday to get the ipod working in the car

-Kris
Old 07-10-2004, 06:31 PM
I've got duct tape!

Send a message via AIM to macgyver
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisL
I was able to install the AUX input kit on my NAV equipped car *without* removing the NAV screen or even pulling the NAV out!

I:

1) Removed the trim
2) Unscrewed the center vents and pulled them out
3) Removed the glove box and upper glove box piece

From that point, I was able to see a wiring harness (just black taped wires) near the left rear corner of the NAV unit. I felt a "bump" in the wires so I (correctly) assumed that the AUX input plug was in there. With some fumbling, I was able to take a small knife and cut the black tape to expose the plug. Plugged the adapter in, routed it behind the nav and drilled the appropriate holes in the glove box for the aux input plate. Works great!

I paid $26.50 shipped for the aux input kit on ebay. Total install time, probably around an hour. If I had to do it again, it'd take half that.

I just got my iPod on Friday and my icelink gets here on Tuesday. Funny that I couldn't wait until Tuesday to get the ipod working in the car

-Kris
I may have to give that a try. I'm going to pick up my 325 tomorrow, and I already have the AUX input kit (and the ICELink arrived today).

If you have any other notes/steps I should follow, please post.

- K
Old 07-10-2004, 07:02 PM
Ubergeek

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver
I may have to give that a try. I'm going to pick up my 325 tomorrow, and I already have the AUX input kit (and the ICELink arrived today).

If you have any other notes/steps I should follow, please post.

- K

I can't think of anything else significant. THe trim pieces are only held in by friction by little posts - and it's quite a bit of friction. You have to remove the piece above the glove box first. Start by pulling the interior piece away from the right side of the trim to fit a flat headed screw driver back there. Once it's pulled out enough, you can stick your fingers in there and slowly (but forcefully) pull the trim piece out. Once that piece is out, you do the same with the trim piece above the NAV.

The center vents are only held in by two screws and a few friction clips. Once you remove the screws, push UP on the vents from underneath to pop it out of place.

Getting the glove box out is pretty easy to figure out. Two pins inside and four screws underneath.

The inside-the-glovebox top piece is another 6 screws I believe.

One thing to pay attention to is the measurements as to where to drill the holes for the aux plate. I "winged" it without measuring, and when I put the headphone jack in there, the glove box wouldn't close. DOH! Had to measure and drill new holes.

-Kris

Last edited by KrisL; 07-10-2004 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:14 PM
Ubergeek

Pic, for what it's worth