Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 12-26-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 760i
Had Century BMW in Greenville, SC do a full work up on this 760i. Here are the results:

1. HPFP failure on bank 1. HPFP on bank 2 appears to be okay. Service advisor says it will fail as soon as the bank 1 is replaced. Nice to know. $4,061, parts and labor.
2. Alternator bracket leaking oil. $50 for the part. 11.5 hours labor. $1,390, parts and labor.
3. Safety terminal needs to be replaced. Recall that I had an airbag fault indicator come on. $174.98 for the part. $530 labor for 2.5 hours labor.
4. Valve cover gaskets leaking. $2,050 for the parts. 15.5 hours labor. $2,475, parts and labor.

I asked the deal in Houston, Texastrucksource dab Autobyzack, to cover the costs of the alternator bracket and the safety terminal. Dealer refuses to provide reimbursement.

Recall, I purchased this car with 85,843 miles on 29 October. Car was shipped on 5 November and arrived on 7 November. First contact with the dealer that the car was stalling was on 8 November. Car now has 86,061 miles and is sitting at the Century BMW service center. I think I am being more than reasonably fair to just ask for the Alternator bracket and safety terminal repairs.
Old 12-26-2012, 01:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: E66 760, E38 750, E34 540
If you get the work done at your expense, demand to get the faulty fuel pumps back.
If they ask why, tell them you will be posting pics on the BMW blogs. Who knows, the
threat of bad press might just get your pumps covered or replaced at a discount!

At any rate, if I were shelling out that kind of money, I'd want to see exactly what failed,
why it failed and what I could do to prevent it from happening again.
Old 12-26-2012, 02:32 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
So let me get this straight, dealer said they would take care of it and not to worry, and now low and behold they are refusing to pay? I would call them and tell them if they are going to stick you with thousands of dollars worth of problems on a car that you bought from them WITH those problems, which started as soon as it came off the truck, you are not only going to fight them for whats right, but you are going to plaster all over the place what this company did to you by selling you a broken vehicle and then telling you they would take care of it, and once you bring the car in to get the work done they tell you they aren't going to do a thing now.. that is as bad as business gets in my book..

When you buy a car from a dealer, it's supposed to be checked and inspected, certainly not stalling and running like crap. Seems like this place got very excited when they saw you.. Got rid of their problem car on a flat bed truck so you are a long distance problem now..
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM

Both new760Liowner cmpcpro make good points. To cmpcpro I say to you that I have pointed out to the dealer they represented the vehicle as serviced and tested. As you would expect them to say, they were "surprised" by the problems I have had since they had been driving the car and had not experienced one problem other than a battery needing replaced.

This is from correspondence on 12 November:

"Looking at the report the vehicle was fine and passed all road test and inspections that has been done. Sorry for the inconvenience, but we work with all of our customers to make sure they are satisfied. Everything will be ok.
Thanks
AutoByZack

- texastrucksource".

Obviously they are not working with me to make sure I am satisfied or they would be backing up what they sold as serviced and ready to drive anywhere.

Last edited by rsbolin@me.com; 12-29-2012 at 05:43 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 05:46 AM

Dealer in Houston says they will provide $1,500 towards repairs. I have requested $1,920.00 to cover the replacement of the safety terminal and the alternator bracket.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM

Mein Auto: Many things
How much are paying total out of pocket? This is absurd.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:08 AM

Still working with the dealer in Houston to get this resolved. In the mean time, the car sits in the Century BMW on a lift in an inoperable mode.
Old 01-02-2013, 05:54 PM

I find it amazingly hard to believe the car presented no symptoms whatsoever in the time the dealer had it, and that it magically just started happening after you purchased it. This feels more like the dealer taking advantage of an out of state sale with the thought that someone a distance away is much less of a legal threat than someone local.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM

I am not paying for anything else on this service. I have paid out of pocket to have the two front fuel filters replaced, the fuel pump with regulator in the fuel tank, a thermostat, blake fluid flush. I am not paying anything else.

Last edited by rsbolin@me.com; 01-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:08 AM

Latest update on this situation. Century BMW replaced the high pressure fuel pump on bank 1. Test drove the car after the service. At highway speed stalled several times. Returned to the service bay. Tested high pressure fuel pump on bank 2. Diagnosed as failed. So, $2,228 for the part, $1,200 for the labor, $130 in taxes for an awful cost of $3,558. Insurance covered the cost for HPFP bank 1.

Also, the dealer, Texastruckcenter in Houston, refuses to acknowledge or accept any responsibility for selling a car that was represented as "Serviced, maintenance up-to-date, ready to go anywhere for the next owner". The dealer also refuses to provide any assistance for these repairs. So to date: both front fuel filters, fuel pump with regulator at the tank, HPFP on bank 1, alternator bracket, safety terminal, valve cover gaskets, vacuum pump, return valve, lower radiator hose, thermostat, brake fluid flush service. You do not want to know how much my out-of-pocket has been thus far. Looks like another $3,600 incur next week.

This 760i just turned 86,000 and I have put a whopping 150 miles on the car since it was delivered on November 8. The car has been with in the service bay more than it has been in my garage.

To the previous post that said I should not have to pay for any of this I believe you are correct. The distance between me and a non-responsive dealer has been a real imposition. I have a niece that is an attorney that I will have start looking at my options against this dealer.
Old 01-28-2013, 03:59 PM

Lawyer up! This is bull****, now time to prove it. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:27 AM

Mein Auto: 760Li, F250 V10, Ex 7.3L
Did this ever get fixed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsbolin@me.com View Post
I am trying my best to get the dealer to own up to the repairs. Some things are regular maintenance but others are not and if the dealer truly inspected they should have found. The HPFP's going out in less than 50 miles of ownership should be covered without question by the dealer.

I will keep posting until this is resolved.
just checking in to see what the repair was?
Old 02-12-2013, 10:29 AM

Both HPFP had to be replaced as well as the fuel pump with regulator and both fuel filters located up front. Dealer will not respond so legal is next course.
Old 02-12-2013, 10:42 AM

Both HPFP replaced, fuel pump with regulator at the tank, both up front fuel filters, alternator bracket was leaking, and a safety terminal had to be replaced. Dealer, Texastrucksource, 832-713-2967, refuses to acknowledge or provide any cost recovery for the repairs. Legal course remains.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:14 PM

The labor cost seems high

Quote:
Latest update on this situation. Century BMW replaced the high pressure fuel pump on bank 1. Test drove the car after the service. At highway speed stalled several times. Returned to the service bay. Tested high pressure fuel pump on bank 2. Diagnosed as failed. So, $2,228 for the part, $1,200 for the labor, $130 in taxes for an awful cost of $3,558. Insurance covered the cost for HPFP bank 1.
Thanks for the response. I have finally figured out that I'm in for both HPFPs on my 760Li, but mine's at 135K miles. I plan to replace them myself. The thing is, I've read TIS, and I have had the plenum off before--I know what it takes, and it ain't much, and --looking at those pumps--I'm sorry, but I am 95% sure I could have that entire job (both pumps and back to running state) done in about 2-4 hours, including time for head scratching. The dealers really ream us on billable hours on these jobs. Not trying to depress you, but we need to start pushing back on some of these flat rates for the jobs they quote.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:18 PM

Mein Auto: Nothing
Quote:
Both HPFP replaced, fuel pump with regulator at the tank, both up front fuel filters, alternator bracket was leaking, and a safety terminal had to be replaced. Dealer, Texastrucksource, 832-713-2967, refuses to acknowledge or provide any cost recovery for the repairs. Legal course remains.
Make sure to review them online too, they really screwed you, AND said they would take care of it.
Old 02-16-2013, 09:37 AM

I have been in touch with an attorney in Houston.

There are a number of causes if action that you can have against them under the Texas Deceptive Trade Practices Act (DTPA) among other contractual and common law claims. Most of them allow for attorneys fees, sometimes treble damages and occasionally punitive damages.

Going to go hard after this dealer.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:41 PM

Mein Auto: 760 LI
Just purchased a 2003 760li with only 44k miles from a dealer near Dallas, Tx. Driven off the transportation truck and it stalled. Went to fill up the gas tank and fuel drained all over the ground under the fill neck. Got it to the BMW Dealership and $1300.00 later I had new emission parts, charcoal canister, fuel pump, etc. which fixed the gas filled charcoal canister so now at least the fuel tank can be filled. Well, the stalling continued at cold idle for about 3 or 4 miles then after a hot soak the V-12 would exhibit long cranking times. Now the dealer says I need a high pressure fuel pump at a cost of just over $2500.00. And this is at only 44,000 miles! I called BMW USA. The customer service representative said "sorry". So I sent an email to BMW USA and the same customer assistance representative called me back and reiterated "sorry". He admitted that they have high pressure fuel pump failures but not really that many on the V-12. He did sound a little surprised that a fuel pump could cost $2500.00 and the vehicle actually has two. So no help from BMW USA. "Sorry" Next was a complaint to the Auto Safety Administration. No response yet after about two weeks. So basically plan on replacing both hpfp's during your ownership that can happen anytime or anyplace. Usually you stall in the middle of traffic or it is really great when going around a corner at a busy intersection, lose power steering and coast to a stop in that beautiful $125,000 + BMW that dies and won't start in front of people who gave all kinds of hand signals to me. I'm not sure what they all mean but I think they are saying don't buy stupid BMW it you want to park it in the middle of a busy highway unless you want to get killed. Even a school bus honked his horn behind me since I just sat there trying to start this great car. And the other man who was screaming at me for some reason, I think he was saying to move my car but I couldn't understand him. Some strange language! So the final resolution is: The very nice BMW Dealer in Ocala, FL who gave me a loaner car that doesn't stall will fix the hpfp for just over $2500.00, a discounted price for one pump. And thanks BMW USA Customer Assistance, you really have convinced me want to buy another BMW in the future. Buyers beware: Set aside $5,000.00 in a kitty for when you need high pressure fuel pumps for your BMW.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:08 PM

Dave, sorry to hear about your problems. I need to ask though, if you bought it from a dealer, why did you take delivery of it if it did not function coming off the transportation truck? Seems like the dealer got a trade-in and did not even inspect it. I'd go after them, not anyone else. Yelp and BBB go a long way to get someone to get their stuff together.

also, check your battery charge, these cars crank long also if the battery is just a bit low. (even when the HPFPs are completely F-d, I know from experience) and I will only recommend the AGM-charger that BMW sells. It charges really REALLY slow, but tops the battery off without hammering it and damaging it like a standard trickle charger from my old garage might. I have had a well-charged battery that could quickly start a 760 with failed HPFP that was unable to maintain proper pressure while idling, so, long crank is usually combined with a low battery charge.

The other symptoms do sound HPFP-related, but those symptoms are mostly the result of the top diaphragms leaking gas into the tank vent system. I'd like to know if the dealer found gas in your tank vent system?
Old 06-15-2013, 07:21 AM

This sounds very familiar. I purchased a 2004 760i from Texas Truck Source in Houston in late October 2012. Within 25 miles of driving the care I had similar issues. You can read my post about HPFP failure and the expenses I incurred. Bottom line, I spoke with several BMW independent service shops and all recommended replacing both HPFPs at the same time. I did that and also ended with an entirely new fuel delivery system as the HPFPs were just one of the issues.

Also, Texas has a law on its books, the Deceptive Trade Practice Act. I consulted legal counsel about my issue and they receommended a thorough review of the DTPA and notifying the dealer with a certified letter an Intent to File law suit.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: 760 LI
Thanks for your concern

Thank you for the response. Very interesting about the battery situation. I purchased the vehicle from Fischbone Motors out of Farmers Branch, Tx. Scott is the owner. I saw the ad on Cars.com who later sent me an email survey requesting my opinion of the used car dealer and sale. My comments of course were extremely poor and would not recommend that dealer to anyone. I even spoke to Scott who remained mute and uncommitted about any problem or about the flat out lies from the salesman about the car's condition. When the BMW was unloaded from the carrier in Central Florida, the battery was dead. The driver was aware of that because he said the car died prior to putting it on the carrier and the car had to be jumped to start upon loading. So he jumped the battery again and one of my employees drove it about 1500 feet towards my business and then the car died. We all thought it was the battery so we left a charger on it overnight (February 2012 mfg battery) and it started just fine but before I got to the gas station about 1 block away it died again. The fuel gauge read 1/4 so as I tried to put fuel in the tank, fuel went all over the station's driveway, but then was able to only get about 3 or 4 gallons in. After the engine went in closed loop and was warmed up it ran quite well so I drove it to BMW Ocala, FL. Extremely nice people, put me in a 2013 5 Series for almost a week while they ordered parts and tried to make the repairs. That is the dealership who found the canister filled with fuel. After those repairs were made where they said they had fixed the stalling I left, only to find out the next day it ran worse and stalled several times. So back it went and that is where it is right now waiting for a hpfp. And I am back in a new Series 5 loaner. Honestly, the BMW Dealer in Ocala couldn't be better, but a 10 year old car not purchased new, but only had 44,000 miles, really doesn't qualify for dealership goodwill. And then to beat all this I just got the title in the mail. Guess what? It was a REPO.

No big deal because the car basically is in beautiful condition with the low miles, however, just another dishonest ploy by Fischbone Motors to make a sale. It's the nearly $4,000.00 in repairs already and I haven't even been able to drive it. And I am the latest "target" at work with the jokes shot at me for buying a BMW.

Yes, I am familiar with AGM battery chargers, in fact, we have a new Odyssey Charger at work I can use. But what I did not know is what you are stating about having a complete and full charge relating to stalling. Actually, Battery Minder has a 12 volt wet/agm/gel charger that has a desulfator built in. We sell the 36 & 48 volt versions for golf cart batteries and we feel are the best on the market for charging and desulfating 6/8/12 volt batteries. When I get the car back I will run the battery on the Battery Minder for a few weeks.

Thanks for reminding me about Yelp and of course the BBB. Cars.com has 7 surveys on line about Fischbone Motors. 3 of the 7 are horrible. Scott, the owner of Fischbone Motors refutes all of them. Unfortunately, I didn't see them prior to my purchase of the vehicle. They are a despicable used car dealership dealing in classic cars and they will ultimately fail and go out of business. I will ultimately get the bugs out of the car and have a nice black BMW 760li as I set out to find and with low miles. It's just too bad that there are unscrupulous dealers out there like that and it's too bad BMW's goodwill or policy adjustment decisions on known safety issue concern parts aren't dealt with differently. Would I buy another BMW from the Ocala BMW Dealership - Absolutely! Would ever buy from or recommend Fischbone Motors - Not on my life!

And thanks again for showing your concern. This website is awesome and I have learned a lot about BMWs, especially myself coming from a General Motors background.
Old 06-15-2013, 08:42 AM

Mein Auto: E66 760, E38 750, E34 540
Check those fuel pump diaphragms...

As mws said, check the fuel pump diaphragms on both sides..my bet is they are
leaking. Fabricate yourself a pentagon-shaped bit and remove the fuel pressure
regulator to check the diaphragms. I haven't found a suitable replacement yet
but the Audi Q7/VW Touraeg (or however you spell that) have a similar design
specced HPFP that sells for $200 or so on Ebay. You may be able to swap or modify
the diaphragm from this pump...I haven't opened one up yet to see. If it works, it'd
be a heck of a lot cheaper than $2500 per pump.

Also might want to consider lubricating your gasoline with an additive to prevent
the pump piston scoring the bore allowing metal shavings to kill your next pump.

Last edited by new760Liowner; 06-15-2013 at 08:45 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:08 AM

Mein Auto: 05 745 LI, 05 Acura RL
I hate to break it to you guys...but you bought a used car sight unseen(atleast the OP did). What did you expect? Used vehicles are sold "as is". Unless they are CPO and that is only offered through BMW. To think you expect them to pay for $10k in repairs is ridiculous. You probably paid just over that for the car. Plus you bought a 760. The car was $120k brand new expect to pay much more then that in repairs over the years with all the miles your car has. Your car was probably an auction vehicle, and a reseller bought it(truckstop or whatever) and the original owner knew about the problems and dumped the car. Good luck with her. I'd sell it immediately if not sooner.

22's, AC Schnitzer Kit, H&R Lowering Springs, Tinted tails and Signals, AC Schnitzer
Carbon Door Pillars, Cross Drilled and Slotted Rotors, Tuner Mod, Tinted Windshield,
30% Tint all the way around, and some other stuff I forgot.

Last edited by BimmerBrad7; 06-15-2013 at 11:10 AM.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:50 PM

Mein Auto: 7601
Help: Engine Shutoff Automatically and shows no faults .

My 2005 760i is having a hard time idling and staying on when it first starts. The engine will shutoff at a stop sign after I have pressed the gas and the car has stared to move, but all of the sudden everything shuts off ad the steering locks. At this point I have to completely take the key out and re start the car but when it tries to restart is has a real hard time getting going and sometimes I have to press the gas to help it get going. this happens every morning at the same stop sign but the car will run great the rest of the day at high speed and will sometimes do the same on the way back from work at the same stop sign from my work side.

The system shows no fault at all.....

Please help I have put a new fuel pump and its still doing it.
Old 07-12-2013, 04:58 AM

Texas has a law on its books, the Deceptive Trade Practice Act. I consulted legal counsel about my issue and they receommended a thorough review of the DTPA and notifying the dealer with a certified letter an Intent to File law suit. PM me if want to get the Texas Attorney I have been in contact with.