Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X1 E84 (2011 - current)

X1 E84 (2011 - current)
The new to the US BMW X1 will arrive at BMW dealers in the fall of 2012 as a 2013 model year. Get your X1 28i with either sDrive (RWD) or xDrive (AWD) or get the US exclusive I6 N55 powered X1 35i dDrive.

Old 12-26-2012, 10:33 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 11' X5 Sport Activity
My review of the x28i after 600+ miles

I've had my AW x28i Sportline w/almost all options for nearly 3 weeks and more than 600 miles, and wanted to provide my review of its pros/cons based on the short time I've had with it. FWIW, I came off a 2011 X5 to the X1, so I am adapting to some things on the X1 myself. Reason for the switch is my wife refuses to drive the X5 (she drove it 2X in more than 2 yrs of ownership) due to its size and weight of steering wheel. What better time to switch vehicles at minimal costs than now?

Exterior - Its looks are growing on me more each day. I wasn't a big fan initially, esp. the front where the fogs are located, and the sizing of "X1" badge in the back, which I removed on day 1. No regrets on not getting the MSport pkg, as I like the current wheels alot and was suprised that the lower bumper trims came in gloss black on the sportsline, I didn't know this and had expected just flat black plastic. It came with black exhaust tips as well. However, I still miss the looks of my X5 w/sport pkg., as it looked alot more aggressive.

Interior - I chose the coral red/black trim so it looks pretty lively inside. Everything is easily visible/reachable from driver's position so no complaints. The sport steering wheel is nice, felt like a jr. version of the sport wheel I had in the X5 as its smaller in diameter and thinner. Being a heated wheel was a bonus as I've never had one in any car before!

Trunk space is surprisingly good. I was pleasantly surprised when I was able to re-use, and store my rear bumper guard from the X5 http://www.bumperguard.org/SUV_Bumpe...p/9074-suv.htm into X1's trunk. Also my recent trip to BJ's/Costcos assures me that I won't have to resort to placing stuff in the backseats nor fold them down for my normal grocery runs.

Engine - I have not driven a 4-cyl for some time, and the x28i reminded me of why. Combined with the 8-spd, it is a super-efficient engine with engine revs of well below 2k RPM under normal driving conditions. Since I'm still in break-in, I have been keeping it gentle with throttle inputs, resulting in sub 2k to sub 1.5k rpm, where the engine feels gutless and a bit noisy. As I have more miles now, I have been using sport mode more often to keep the rpms above 2K for quicker throttle response. Also I have not taken it above 3.5k rpm so I can't tell you how the mid/high range feels yet.

Don't read this as a complaint to the x28's engine performance, as one can't expect much oomph at such low rpms. Rather, its more of a personal observation compared to the N55, as that engine did not feel gutless at low rpms, even when mated to a much heavier X5.
Eco-Pro mode - Don't bother using it unless you are using cruise ctrl, as it utterly neuters throttle response, which will most likely cause you to give heavier throttle inputs, thus negating its purpose. Felt like I was driving a Prius/Civic or something w/~100hp

Suspension/Handling - Typical BMW I've only had the opportunity to take a couple of off-ramps above speed limits, and the car felt planted and neutral on the turns. I probably won't find out the true capability of its suspension until next spring/summer when road conditions are more ideal. I'm also enjoying the relative weightless-ness of the X1 at takeoffs from deadstop vs. the tank-like feel of the X5.

Brakes - Have been taking it easy during break-in, but nothing to dissuade me from thinking it won't be of typical BMW quality and firmness. Am glad that my OEM rims are gunmetal color so I won't have to clean the wheels from brakedust as often lol.

MPG - First 100 miles, 60/40 local/hwy driving, was getting 20-21 mpg combined. On my recent 300+ mile trip, with all miles except for ~10 at hwy speeds of 60-80mph, was averaging 27.7mpg. Bear in mind I had up/down shifted countless times to vary the rpms. Suspect I could probably squeeze ~30mpg under normal driving, not bad considering the engine is so green.

Likes/Dislikes thus far:

OEM wheels, red leather, LED Angel Eyes, Fill ups at the Pump!

Eco-Pro/ASS, no bottom-end, lack of power rear hatch, no room for a real
2nd cupholder?
2006 Subaru Legacy GT (GONE)
2001 Honda Prelude modded (GONE)
Advertisement
Old 12-26-2012, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: X1
Nice review, thanks! Let us know the MPG improvements after you break it in.
Old 12-26-2012, 12:34 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 528xi
Nice job. All in all you sound happy with it. Post a pic or two when you get a chance
2003 330cic Jet Black / Natural Brown - retired
2001 X-5 3.0 Titanium Siver /Black - retired
BMW CCA Member
Old 12-26-2012, 10:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X1
Very nice review, I traded my X3 6cyl
And I agree, there are things I really do miss about it. For one it felt alot roomier. Also, yes the cup holders in the X1 I give a thumbs down. But I agree with your wife even tho mine was a X3, the steering was too heavy, and thumbs up on the X1 in that department. As far as the rear and its room for the Costco trips, it's ok in my book, But I also have a lab, while I dislike putting my dog in my new vehicle, my husband has reminded me how she is just a part of our family. So yea, I don't think she's complaining as long as she comes along.
I drove my car today in a storm, very icy conditions, and I felt very secure except i was more worried about the driver behind me not being able to STOP, and well I'm sure you get the picture... Yikes, with that said,I couldn't wait to get home