Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 07-31-2012, 09:11 AM
Festaholic

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sport
I had my first service at BMW (Classic BMW in Dallas-Plano). Should I expect more??

I brought my car in to Classic BMW for a few concerns. I purchased the car used from them the month prior. They took about 3 days longer than I expected; however, they did warn me they don't have a definitive time for the repair. They had to keep the car over the weekend, and I thought I would get an update on Monday. No one contacted me. I sent a friendly email on Monday asking for my current ISTA/P. I get a response with just the ISTA/P #. No "good evening", or "hello". Maybe I have higher customer service expectations because this is how I treat my customers and co-workers. Overall, I was pleased with my service adviser; however, I had slightly higher expectations going to a premium dealership.

They also had to take my vehicle for an "extensive" test drive, which they called and informed me of. It was about 50-80 miles. It was for the new steering program to fix the pulling issue. I turned the car in with about a quarter tank of gas. I get it back with it on empty, and only 17 miles left on the tank. I guess it was enough for me to make it to a gas station.

Anyways, I finally get the car back. Most of the concerns were addressed. I than inspected the car when I got home. There were still some bug residue on the front bumper and windshield. I also noticed oil marks from someones forearm and hands on my new $400 Huper Optik tint . The carpet did not seem properly vacuumed. The worst part is that they put black grease marks on my new grey Weather-tech all weather floor mats . Not cool!

I didn't have time to bring it back, so I used de-greasing agents and scrubbed the grease out, and re-washed the entire car. I than notice that behind the rear passenger seat, they did not tuck in some flap . It was definitely not like that when I turned in the car.

I left a voice-mail for the service manager. I am not sure what to expect, or what I should request to make this poor service visit better.

Here are some pics after I got my car back. I don't want to be one of "those" customers; however, I believe in great customer service. I also would not expect my car to be in worse shape in certain areas than when I turned the car in.

This was a new flawless Weather-tech floor mat

New dirt on the door step

poorly vacuumed carpet (if vacuumed at all).

obvious hanging flap behind passenger seat

I wish I had a pic of the grease mark on the drivers window and a good pic of the front of the car. We will see what the service manager says.

2011 535i Sport (Prem 1, 2)

Last edited by BigDeep1; 07-31-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Ads by Google
Old 07-31-2012, 09:15 AM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
You should expect much better. Slam them on the post survey you will get emailed to you.

In a big market I would seek out a better dealer for service, doesn't matter where you bought it.

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 550i 6 sp Manual+35d
IMO this is just small stuff that I almost expect when I take my car in: the norm vs the exception. If the car does not develop any new issues as a result of the dealer's fix then I would consider myself lucky and move on.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: E92 335i
I've never seen this before and I'm curious as to what this is:

Old 07-31-2012, 11:51 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
looks like your car was used for someone's weekend transportation. the flap hanging down....looks like a passenger stuck their feet underneath and dragged that out. that's not normal.

....that's curious enough that i just went out and checked my car. it's part of the upholstery and it gets either stapled or fastened to the underside of the seat. i think some clod yanked it out with their feet or yanked it somehow while vaccuming.

no reason for that. nail them.

Last edited by schnell525; 07-31-2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 12:49 PM
Everything's Bigger in TX

Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Something similar happened to me. I had greasy fingerprints on my oyster on the driver's door card, the center console and the passenger seat. I brought it back and the dealer cleaned it off as well as a full interior detail. Pretty decent.

Call them on it.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Old 07-31-2012, 12:50 PM
Festaholic

The service manager just responded:

I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

I can have a Valet drop off a loaner and pick up yours to take care of the grease marks and take care of the seat. I will also fill your tank for you as a courtesy.

I am pleased with that repines. Overall, I think it is a neat dealership. I will give them grace and hope the next experience is better. Thank for the responses and advice. My wife and I were shocked and disappointed when we got the car back; however, I am glad they are trying to make it right.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:13 PM
now driving number eight!

Mein Auto: 2007 S2000
A good recovery!

"sometimes you're the windshield .... sometimes you're the bug"

2014 328i Mojave Metallic
2009 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 328i Black Sapphire Metallic
2007 Honda S2000 Berlina Black
(Hey Jim... am I diversified?)
Old 07-31-2012, 01:19 PM

Mein Auto: F11 530D
Sounds as a reasonable resolution, whtfor did you bring in the car, how come the undercover of the right seat came loose?
Old 07-31-2012, 02:01 PM

Mein Auto: '11 X5d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDeep1 View Post
The service manager just responded:

I do apologize for the inconvenience that this has caused.

I can have a Valet drop off a loaner and pick up yours to take care of the grease marks and take care of the seat. I will also fill your tank for you as a courtesy.

I am pleased with that repines. Overall, I think it is a neat dealership. I will give them grace and hope the next experience is better. Thank for the responses and advice. My wife and I were shocked and disappointed when we got the car back; however, I am glad they are trying to make it right.
Looks like the dealer is a keeper. They realized their mistake. At least they didn't try to blame you.

My car always comes fully vacuumed, interior wiped down, washed, and they seem to use some nice fresher spray because it always smells nice when I pick up my car.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW 550xi
I have it written on my work order do not wash or vacuum my car. My SA knows it and they've been great about it.

Grease I can understand on some areas, but the seat issue would really irritate me.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:01 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophisto View Post
Sounds as a reasonable resolution, whtfor did you bring in the car, how come the undercover of the right seat came loose?
I wish I knew how and why that undercover came out. It was not like that when turned in.

Reason I turned in car for service:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=352

Last edited by BigDeep1; 08-06-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:05 AM
MPowered RPh

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Comp & '12 528Xi
I've used Classic for over 20 years...never had a problem that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. Next time, ask for Pat Arnold, the best SA there. He always replies promptly when I email him a question.

///Mike

'12 528i xDrive/Mohave/Beige/Premium/gadgets

'11 M3 - Coupe/Space Gray/Black/Aluminum/Comp/Conv/Cold/Prem2/CF all around
Old 08-03-2012, 10:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i Sophisto/Oyster
Quote:
I wish I knew how and why that undercover came out. It was not like that when turned in.

Reason I turned in car for service:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=352
Despite the problems - what did they do to fix the issues? Just a programming update?
Old 08-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadesidon View Post
Despite the problems - what did they do to fix the issues? Just a programming update?
Sorry for my delayed response.

To address the horrible "tip-in" and jerky shifting at low gears, BMW corporate told them to wipe the learned transmission data, and that should supposedly fix the issue. Surprisingly, the car is driving much better than before in regards to the throttle hesitation and surge issue.

They flashed in a new steering program, and that was supposed to fix the pulling to the right. I have not had a chance to drive the 5 a lot since the service; however, this issues also seems to be largely resolved.

They could not reproduce the brake vibration at highway speeds. They also could not experience/reproduce the idle fluctuation issue. Surprisingly, those issues are not as prominent any longer.

Last edited by BigDeep1; 08-06-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:02 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
I've said it before - There is nothing premium about BMW service. Seems same as non luxury brands to me. If you want Premium service go to Lexus or Porsche.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 08-06-2012, 05:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 X6 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by stonemik View Post
I've used Classic for over 20 years...never had a problem that wasn't resolved to my satisfaction. Next time, ask for Pat Arnold, the best SA there. He always replies promptly when I email him a question.

///Mike
Pat is my SA too...he really is great. He will reply to calls, texts, or emails super fast and always makes sure that everything is done right!

2010 X6 35i
2013 535xi GT (on order)
Old 08-06-2012, 05:51 AM
Festaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stealth.Pilot View Post
I've said it before - There is nothing premium about BMW service. Seems same as non luxury brands to me. If you want Premium service go to Lexus or Porsche.
Well, I think there are a lot of great points with BMW service. I think they do try to take ownership of their problems and most of their maintenance. I will say that the final wash and detail at the end of the service plays a huge role in my assessment of the level of care and luxury the dealer provides. This past wash and vacuum was very disappointing. I am sure they will make it right with the wash that the manager promised.

From my experience, more than the vehicle manufacturer, the dealership makes a difference. Sewell dealerships do a great job in customer service. I don't want to make any hard conclusions after my very first BMW service. I know that Classic BMW is the preferred BMW dealership in the metroplex. Hopefully I will get to experience the reasons why .
Old 08-06-2012, 06:32 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Well, I think there are a lot of great points with BMW service. I think they do try to take ownership of their problems and most of their maintenance. I will say that the final wash and detail at the end of the service plays a huge role in my assessment of the level of care and luxury the dealer provides. This past wash and vacuum was very disappointing. I am sure they will make it right with the wash that the manager promised.

From my experience, more than the vehicle manufacturer, the dealership makes a difference. Sewell dealerships do a great job in customer service. I don't want to make any hard conclusions after my very first BMW service. I know that Classic BMW is the preferred BMW dealership in the metroplex. Hopefully I will get to experience the reasons why .
I am not making excuses for Classic as i have had issues with their service in the past; the substandard washing is due to their automated car wash being closed the past 4 months as they build a new multi lane one. They are getting by with the runners hand washing the car and doing a shoddy job at it.

I am still pissed about the timewhere they kept my 528 for a week to fix a trunk rattle and returned my car with the issue not being resolved, the rear seats not being put back together, the rear seat belts not re-installed, and my child's car seat being broken.

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 08-06-2012, 06:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe
Quote:
....I know that Classic BMW is the preferred BMW dealership in the metroplex.
My one and only experience with Classic BMW several years ago was not that great and I never went back. I also had a less than stellar experience at Moritz in Arlington. For the past 12 years I've had my BMW's serviced at Autobahn Motors in Ft. Worth and they have been outstanding. I highly recommend them.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:52 AM
MPowered RPh

Mein Auto: '11 M3 Comp & '12 528Xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwdfdolan View Post
Pat is my SA too...he really is great. He will reply to calls, texts, or emails super fast and always makes sure that everything is done right!
Pat is awesome, but have you ever dealt with Lenny? He was there for a long time and suddenly he was gone. He was MR. BMW. Lenny, if you are our there in this board, we miss you!!!!

'12 528i xDrive/Mohave/Beige/Premium/gadgets

'11 M3 - Coupe/Space Gray/Black/Aluminum/Comp/Conv/Cold/Prem2/CF all around

Last edited by stonemik; 08-06-2012 at 04:50 PM.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:16 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to rok8man
Mein Auto: BMW 535i
Quote:

I had my first run in with the service at Classic BMW today. Took it in for a wash before the new tint went in. I went yesterday but was told that the car wash closed at 5PM, I got there at 5:08PM. So I went there first thing in the morning at 8AM. Seems like that place was busy first thing in the morning. They took my car and said it was going to be 20 minutes. I did get my car back within the time and they did a nice job of it. Since this wasnt an engine service related trip I cant say what to expect on the level of service I will receive.

The CA told me when I was buying the car that I can bring in the car for a free wash everyday but not to abuse that as they can track that. How would you abuse the free wash privilege? If they offer it unlimited then I should be able to take it in everyday dont you think?

One of my coworkers had a bad experience with Classic BMW but his car was out of Warranty. He has sworn never to go back to that dealership. He said that Dallas BMW is much better for him. To each their own I guess.
Old 10-13-2012, 04:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rok8man View Post
I had my first run in with the service at Classic BMW today. Took it in for a wash before the new tint went in. I went yesterday but was told that the car wash closed at 5PM, I got there at 5:08PM. So I went there first thing in the morning at 8AM. Seems like that place was busy first thing in the morning. They took my car and said it was going to be 20 minutes. I did get my car back within the time and they did a nice job of it. Since this wasnt an engine service related trip I cant say what to expect on the level of service I will receive.

The CA told me when I was buying the car that I can bring in the car for a free wash everyday but not to abuse that as they can track that. How would you abuse the free wash privilege? If they offer it unlimited then I should be able to take it in everyday dont you think?

One of my coworkers had a bad experience with Classic BMW but his car was out of Warranty. He has sworn never to go back to that dealership. He said that Dallas BMW is much better for him. To each their own I guess.
Track the car washes - what a bunch of BS. Your CA is full of it! The attendants make you sign a disclaimer that does not have your VIN on it. Plus they never scan your key FOB. No way they are tracking the washes. I have been using their car wash for the past 5 years. I did not buy my car from them; however, they do handle all my services; hence don't feel any guilt

Retired: 2010 535|| White, Natural Brown interior, Sports, SAT, iPOD, Rear airbags

Retired - 2008 528 - Premium, iPod, Cold Weather, Titanium with black interior

Old 10-13-2012, 07:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 550i M-sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell525 View Post
I have it written on my work order do not wash or vacuum my car. My SA knows it and they've been great about it.
I couldn't agree more with this. I trust the BMW mechanics to service my car, but I don't trust the wash crew. My dealer has one of those heavy duty revolving brush drive through machines. No thanks, I'll do it by hand all by myself. (that last line sounds bad)
Old 10-13-2012, 07:31 PM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
So here is some market research. You can see BMW is one of the worst brands in terms of dealership customer service satisfaction. This is entirely consistent with my experience having owned only BMWs for 13 of the 15 years that I have been owning cars. The other 2 years I owned a Lexus, and while the car was dull, the service did rock!

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 10-13-2012 at 07:39 PM.