Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:54 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i MT Sport
Bluetooth

Hi.. I apologize if this already was discussed ( I did search but probably didn't put correct wording )..

Anyway... 2013 335i with extended BT.. Whenever I start the car once BT is connected to iPhone 5 - music starts playing - this is not what I expect...

Anybody experiencing the same issue?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
Software Engineer

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusha View Post
Hi.. I apologize if this already was discussed ( I did search but probably didn't put correct wording )..

Anyway... 2013 335i with extended BT.. Whenever I start the car once BT is connected to iPhone 5 - music starts playing - this is not what I expect...

Anybody experiencing the same issue?

Thanks
Why is that not what you expect? My car does the same thing because streaming from my iPhone 5 is the last source I was using before I turned the car off.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-12-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golovko View Post
Why is that not what you expect? My car does the same thing because streaming from my iPhone 5 is the last source I was using before I turned the car off.
Because I wasn't listening when I shut the car off.. BT was on but I wasn't listening
Old 11-12-2012, 09:09 PM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
Because I wasn't listening when I shut the car off.. BT was on but I wasn't listening
There are 4 or 5 different apps that stream music to iDrive, each created by a third-party, each prone to be slightly incompatible or quirky compared to the most recent iDrive firmware releases.

I've never experienced this phenomenon nor has it been asked frequently, so perhaps you need to update your BMW firmware and Google the name of your streaming app to see if others with your unique combination of firmware and third-party app are experiencing the same thing.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 11-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
There are 4 or 5 different apps that stream music to iDrive, each created by a third-party, each prone to be slightly incompatible or quirky compared to the most recent iDrive firmware releases.

I've never experienced this phenomenon nor has it been asked frequently, so perhaps you need to update your BMW firmware and Google the name of your streaming app to see if others with your unique combination of firmware and third-party app are experiencing the same thing.

BJ
It happens with any streaming apps, whichever was streaming last and stopped before car was turned off.. And I did update BT to last available version

Thanks anyway!
Old 11-13-2012, 03:57 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Mein Auto: 2015 320i
Quote:
It happens with any streaming apps, whichever was streaming last and stopped before car was turned off.. And I did update BT to last available version

Thanks anyway!
The car is a slave of the iPhone, not the master.

Your description points out to a defect/app setting in your iPhone, not in your car. For the iPhone to use A2DP then the particular app must be manually selected in the iPhone. That is, unless there is a defect/setting within that particular app that is forcing the streaming to start automatically without the app being manually selected.

For sure, neither Pandora, Stitcher, Aupeo! or BMW Apps webradio can play automatically without being manually selected each time.

Either restore your iPhone, check the play settings of those streaming apps, and/or disable Bluetooth Audio in the iDrive if restore does not fix it.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
The car is a slave of the iPhone, not the master.

Your description points out to a defect/app setting in your iPhone, not in your car. For the iPhone to use A2DP then the particular app must be manually selected in the iPhone. That is, unless there is a defect/setting within that particular app that is forcing the streaming to start automatically without the app being manually selected.

For sure, neither Pandora, Stitcher, Aupeo! or BMW Apps webradio can play automatically without being manually selected each time.

Either restore your iPhone, check the play settings of those streaming apps, and/or disable Bluetooth Audio in the iDrive if restore does not fix it.
You may have a point by "blaming" 3rd party apps, but it also happens with standard Music app..
Old 11-13-2012, 05:33 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
You may have a point by "blaming" 3rd party apps, but it also happens with standard Music app..
Actually, if anything I'm blaming your particular iPhone.

Your iDrive cannot command your iPhone to play via A2DP automatically. Play must start first at your iPhone somehow and then received by the iDrive Combox.

Restore your iPhone.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:04 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Another thing... delete your iPhone from the iDrive pairing list and in the iPhone delete the iDrive pairing. Reset your iDrive with Bluetooth Audio disabled. After the iDrive coming back enable Bluetooth Audio and then pair the restored iPhone.

It seems to me that there is something funky in the way your iPhone is talking via A2DP with the iDrive Combox, as in the iPhone playing music and the iDrive selecting Bluetooth Audio as the default input without neither having any physical enabling interaction.

Two independent settings from two independent devices being self-enabled at the same time and each time is not a coincidence.

Last edited by Technic; 11-13-2012 at 06:07 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Another thing... delete your iPhone from the iDrive pairing list and in the iPhone delete the iDrive pairing. Reset your iDrive with Bluetooth Audio disabled. After the iDrive coming back enable Bluetooth Audio and then pair the restored iPhone.

It seems to me that there is something funky in the way your iPhone is talking via A2DP with the iDrive Combox, as in the iPhone playing music and the iDrive selecting Bluetooth Audio as the default input without neither having any physical enabling interaction.

Two independent settings from two independent devices being self-enabled at the same time and each time is not a coincidence.
Tried rebooting iDrive by holding Volume button for 25-30 sec.. Nothing happened..Also tried volume and eject button with the same result... Car was idling at the moment.

Another weird thing - no music streaming from iPhone, receive a call then ended a call - music starts playing again...
Old 11-13-2012, 07:56 AM
BMW Platinum VisaŽ Member

Mein Auto: BMW M428i
Quote:
The standard Music app is just Apple's third party app from the iDrive's perspective.

BJ

2015 BMW 428i Gran Coupe | M-Sport Line | Premium | Technology | DHP | HK | Driver Assistance
Mineral Grey Metallic | Coral Red Leather | Park Assist | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House
Old 11-13-2012, 07:58 AM

this is screenshot from compatibility list of my car and iPhone 5

may be this is what i'm experiencing???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.png
Views:	56
Size:	17.7 KB
ID:	349387  
Old 11-13-2012, 08:14 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
Tried rebooting iDrive by holding Volume button for 25-30 sec.. Nothing happened..Also tried volume and eject button with the same result... Car was idling at the moment.

Another weird thing - no music streaming from iPhone, receive a call then ended a call - music starts playing again...
I would assume that your iPhone was restored and updated with iOS 6.01, correct? And that the Combox was updated with the latest Telephone UPD01005 firmware?

It seems that BMW/Apple knows about a similar A2DP iPhone issue (although the screenshot that you posted may be referring as playing music sporadically after pairing the phone if there was music already in progress at the iPhone), but yours is the extreme. Somehow you need to clear whatever is loaded on both the iPhone and in the Combox that it is provoking this A2DP behavior.

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.01 and my Combox is loaded with UDP01005 and I do not have this issue at all.

Last edited by Technic; 11-13-2012 at 08:18 AM.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:18 AM

Quote:
I would assume that your iPhone was restored and updated with iOS 6.01, correct? And that the Combox was updated with the latest Telephone UPD01005 firmware?

It seems that BMW/Apple knows about a similar A2DP iPhone issue (although the screenshot that you posted may be referring as playing music sporadically after pairing the phone to stream music -that may happen depending if there was music already in progress at the iPhone), but yours is the extreme. Somehow you need to clear whatever is loaded on both the iPhone and in the Combox that it is provoking this A2DP behavior.

I have an iPhone 4S with iOS 6.01 and my Combox is loaded with UDP01005 and I do not have this issue at all.
I did not restored iPhone yet... But definitely will do that...

Would you know how to reboot iDrive?

Thanks!
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Quote:
I did not restored iPhone yet... But definitely will do that...

Would you know how to reboot iDrive?

Thanks!
You did it, but it seems to me that you did not press the volume button long enough. It has to be pressed until the iDrive goes black.

You need to delete the phone from the car, and the car from the phone before the restore and the reset. This is to start all over again with the least trace of any previous pairing data load on both sides as possible.

You can even go back to the previous Combox version as well if you updated to UPD01005.
Old 11-16-2012, 04:11 PM

Finally went to dealer.. They were scratching their heads.. Gave me appointment , so we will see

Thanks everyone !
Old 11-16-2012, 04:44 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Actually, if anything I'm blaming your particular iPhone.

Your iDrive cannot command your iPhone to play via A2DP automatically. Play must start first at your iPhone somehow and then received by the iDrive Combox.

Restore your iPhone.
Not true. Once a bluetooth connection has been established, music playback will resume without any interaction from the user. This is intended.

If the last music app you used was a 3rd party streaming app and as long as your session hasn't timed out (meaning you don't have to re-authenticate with the service) then even if your iPhone was not playing music before you entered the car it will play music when you start the car if bluetooth was the last source selected when the car was turned off.

This is normal behavior not a bug. Your car is doing exactly what its supposed to be.

Example:

I listen to Spotify on my iPhone in the car on the way to work. I turn the car off and for the rest of the day I do not stream music from my phone or use any music apps. When I get back in the car to drive home as soon as a bluetooth connection is established spotify will resume playback.

Example #2:

I listen to spotify on my phone through head phones (outside of the car). Stop listening to music and several hours later I get in the car. As soon as a bluetooth connection is established spotify will resume playback.

As long as your device is the active source when you start the car otherwise you will have to select your iPhone from the media sources and playback will resume if you had been listening to radio previously.

2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery

Last edited by golovko; 11-16-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:06 PM

May be .. But what about this : no music is playing - BT is active but no music is playing. I receive a call, talk and end the call. As soon as I end a call - music starts playing ...not cool!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
May be .. But what about this : no music is playing - BT is active but no music is playing. I receive a call, talk and end the call. As soon as I end a call - music starts playing ...not cool!
That is different, that sounds like your phone could use a clean restore. However, what I described above will not change, that is intended. But if music is playing randomly after a phone call ends that isn't normal.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 05:12 PM

Phone has been restored.with the same result . Thanks anyway!
Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
Phone has been restored.with the same result . Thanks anyway!
Did you restore from an iCloud or iTunes back up or as new phone?

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-16-2012, 05:44 PM

I won't do as new phone.. This issue does not deserve that much trouble..

Spasibo !
Old 11-16-2012, 05:49 PM
Software Engineer

Quote:
I won't do as new phone.. This issue does not deserve that much trouble..

Spasibo !
To satisfy curiosity you can restore as new phone see if it fixes the issue then restore again from an iCloud back up.

My 335i Photo Gallery
Old 11-17-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
To satisfy curiosity you can restore as new phone see if it fixes the issue then restore again from an iCloud back up.
Restored as new iPhone, put Pandora. Paired. Start the car, music starts playing... I'm leaning towards agreement that this may be how it is supposed to be...

But, music not playing, BT is the source, received phone call, ended phone call, music starts playing... not cool i think
Old 11-17-2012, 08:49 AM
Test... 1, 2 ,3

Bluetooth streaming is not the last source selected in this particular case.

My post reflected that fact.

Quote:
Not true. Once a bluetooth connection has been established, music playback will resume without any interaction from the user. This is intended.

If the last music app you used was a 3rd party streaming app and as long as your session hasn't timed out (meaning you don't have to re-authenticate with the service) then even if your iPhone was not playing music before you entered the car it will play music when you start the car if bluetooth was the last source selected when the car was turned off.

This is normal behavior not a bug. Your car is doing exactly what its supposed to be.

Example:

I listen to Spotify on my iPhone in the car on the way to work. I turn the car off and for the rest of the day I do not stream music from my phone or use any music apps. When I get back in the car to drive home as soon as a bluetooth connection is established spotify will resume playback.

Example #2:

I listen to spotify on my phone through head phones (outside of the car). Stop listening to music and several hours later I get in the car. As soon as a bluetooth connection is established spotify will resume playback.

As long as your device is the active source when you start the car otherwise you will have to select your iPhone from the media sources and playback will resume if you had been listening to radio previously.

Last edited by Technic; 11-17-2012 at 08:56 AM.