Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM
anthonystone anthonystone is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
album art display

few questions.. how come my album art doesnt display ? and my ipod only plays if the aux & usb is plugged in at the same time.. is that supposed to be like that ? and i notice a considerable amount of lag between songs when i click them to play.. when i first got the car they played almost instantly has i selected them . any advice would be great thanks
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 11-20-2012, 11:19 AM
golovko golovko is offline
Software Engineer
Location: Raleigh, NC
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 324
Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonystone View Post
few questions.. how come my album art doesnt display ? and my ipod only plays if the aux & usb is plugged in at the same time.. is that supposed to be like that ? and i notice a considerable amount of lag between songs when i click them to play.. when i first got the car they played almost instantly has i selected them . any advice would be great thanks
Album art only displays over USB, not over bluetooth from a supported device such as the iPhone or iPod.

These features are also exclusive to the enhanced bluetooth and usb. Do you have these options?
__________________


2013 335i Sport | Mineral White | Leather Dakota Everest Grey | Cold Weather Package | Driver Assistance Package | Premium Package | Technology Package | Auto high beams | Parking Assistant | 6MT

My 335i Photo Gallery
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-20-2012, 12:42 PM
anthonystone anthonystone is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
i dont have the enhanced bluetooth, i am connecting my ipod touch through the wire BMW gave me. this is it http://www.mini2.com/forum/attachmen...8&d=1188897814 ... still no album art. also i have to leave both plugged into my car in order for music to play.. is that normal?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-20-2012, 04:59 PM
3284me's Avatar
3284me 3284me is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 951
Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonystone View Post
few questions.. how come my album art doesnt display ? and my ipod only plays if the aux & usb is plugged in at the same time.. is that supposed to be like that ? and i notice a considerable amount of lag between songs when i click them to play.. when i first got the car they played almost instantly has i selected them . any advice would be great thanks
Reboot your iPod
__________________

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-20-2012, 05:23 PM
jtuds jtuds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London, Ontario
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 591
Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
I've been confused by this too....not sure what does what and which options you need to get which features
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-20-2012, 08:48 PM
elektrobank elektrobank is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 328
Mine doesn't update all the time. It shows the art for the first few tracks I play then it gets stuck on the same album for a while and won't update the album art. The only way to fix it is to unplug my iPhone and plug it back in. Very annoying, was the main selling point of this package and it doesn't work. Clearly a bug in their software, hope they fix it!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:06 PM
Yobyot's Avatar
Yobyot Yobyot is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Boston
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 351
Mein Auto: F30
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
Mine doesn't update all the time. It shows the art for the first few tracks I play then it gets stuck on the same album for a while and won't update the album art. The only way to fix it is to unplug my iPhone and plug it back in. Very annoying, was the main selling point of this package and it doesn't work. Clearly a bug in their software, hope they fix it!
I have this problem.

If you also have Nav and therefore voice control, have you seen this problem with voice-activated search?

1). Say, "new search" when a track is playing and album art is correctly displayed
2). Say, "title"
3). Say the name of a song on your device (mine is an iPhone 4S)
4). When the system prompts for menu entry or start playback, say "start playback"
5). System prompts, "playback started"

When I go through this sequence, maybe five out of 10 times, the previous track continues to play or the voice-searched track will play with the previous track's album art displayed.
__________________
MY12 335i ZSL with a deep dive into the options list
Produced: 2012-06-22
ED: 2012-07-19; Arrived in Jersey City: 2012-08-23
Redelivered: 2012-09-12
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-21-2012, 06:12 PM
elektrobank elektrobank is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 328
It happens when I just use it normally, I've never used the voice search. Lets all report it as a bug to BMW and hope they fix it. It's a really big downer, it's an awesome feature that I really want working!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
I have this problem.

If you also have Nav and therefore voice control, have you seen this problem with voice-activated search?

1). Say, "new search" when a track is playing and album art is correctly displayed
2). Say, "title"
3). Say the name of a song on your device (mine is an iPhone 4S)
4). When the system prompts for menu entry or start playback, say "start playback"
5). System prompts, "playback started"

When I go through this sequence, maybe five out of 10 times, the previous track continues to play or the voice-searched track will play with the previous track's album art displayed.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-21-2012, 08:20 PM
jtuds jtuds is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: London, Ontario
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 591
Mein Auto: 335i after May ED
Sucks when you pay for an option from a company you think is reputable and creates an expectation that it will work as advertised and then when you get it, it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-21-2012, 10:12 PM
elektrobank elektrobank is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 328
Especially when you pay over $50k for something that can't properly perform a function that any old, cheap MP3 player can do. I know it's a small feature in the grand scheme of things, but it really kills the whole experience.

They need to just add AirPlay to cars so we can use our iPhones for everything and not have to rely on their ancient, buggy, on board computers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Sucks when you pay for an option from a company you think is reputable and creates an expectation that it will work as advertised and then when you get it, it doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:37 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtuds View Post
Sucks when you pay for an option from a company you think is reputable and creates an expectation that it will work as advertised and then when you get it, it doesn't work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
Especially when you pay over $50k for something that can't properly perform a function that any old, cheap MP3 player can do. I know it's a small feature in the grand scheme of things, but it really kills the whole experience.

They need to just add AirPlay to cars so we can use our iPhones for everything and not have to rely on their ancient, buggy, on board computers.
The F30 is a $50,000 luxury car that can be de-featured down to a $36,000 base model. The upside is that if BMW didn't do this, many people couldn't afford it. The downside is that removing a feature or a package originally intended for the vehicle can compromise the experience.

The Technology package is usually the option that's the first to go, and it's the missing featureset that causes the most frustration here in the forums. People trade it for M-Sport or XDrive, make those more affordable.

As for AirPlay, that'll never happen. With their new iDrive system, BMW is getting into its own version of an App Store with pay-per-month add on services. BMW and Apple are collaborating on Siri for the F30 but its doubtful it'll work without the Enhanced Bluetooth feature found in the Technology package.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:24 AM
elektrobank elektrobank is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 328
Oh yeah, just reminded me, Siri doesn't work either. In my old car and most others, when you activate Siri it goes over the bluetooth in your car, it works just like any other bluetooth headset. On this one it acts like it's making a phone call but keeps deactivating Siri before I finish talking.

If I could I'd take the car back and get a base model with the sports package and just use my iPhone for everything else and the AUX input for music. I love the extras I got if they worked, but to pay so much for the extras knowing how overpriced they are and not even have them work just adds insult to injury.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-2012, 10:14 AM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
Oh yeah, just reminded me, Siri doesn't work either. In my old car and most others, when you activate Siri it goes over the bluetooth in your car, it works just like any other bluetooth headset. On this one it acts like it's making a phone call but keeps deactivating Siri before I finish talking.

If I could I'd take the car back and get a base model with the sports package and just use my iPhone for everything else and the AUX input for music. I love the extras I got if they worked, but to pay so much for the extras knowing how overpriced they are and not even have them work just adds insult to injury.
Time out.

I have the same car you have with the same Technology package, and everything you're describing that doesn't work does work for me. If you can list your questions one at a time I'll be happy to answer and help you fix your problems.

Understand that two things that may be causing you frustration have absolutely nothing to do with BMW but rather with Apple. Text messaging and email are not currently supported by Apple. Apple just launched a new Bluetooth protocol that has some compatibility but it's an accident that we can even get text messaging from our iPhones. Regarding Siri, it is not supported by BMW and full Siri integration isn't supported by any car manufacturer until spring of 2013.

As for album art, this is a known iPod problem that has existed for years. Something is corrupted in your album art database in iTunes. You need to reinstall iTunes which will reinstall your album art properly, then restore your iPod. It's extra work, no one likes the fact that it has to be done, but it's not going to go away until you do this. I did this two years ago when I had a similar problem with my BMW, since then it's been working flawlessly.

Again please list all of your issues and will be happy to help you one at a time. Most of us have your car and the same Technology package and things are working well for us.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-23-2012, 12:11 PM
anthonystone anthonystone is offline
Registered User
Location: New Jersey
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 2012 328i
so does anyone know why the usb AND the aux have to be plugged in to work? is that normal?
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2012, 12:52 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonystone View Post
so does anyone know why the usb AND the aux have to be plugged in to work? is that normal?
It's normal for cars without Enhanced USB.

In your instance, USB gives your car control over the iPod, AUX gives your car the audio. It's the way BMW has handled the iPod for the past seven years. The enhanced feature allows it to get both functions over USB.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2012, 08:51 PM
elektrobank elektrobank is offline
Registered User
Location: Miami, FL
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: 328
I'm out of town so I'm not near the car to try anything now. But I can tell you that in terms of Siri, I know they don't have any special integration with them, but I'd expect the car to work like any bluetooth headset in that case and if it's going to pick up the sound input when I activate Siri it should not cut it off once I start talking. My old car and every BT headset I own can handle Siri just fine without having any kind of Siri integration. It's no different than making a call.

All my album art is up to date, I don't think that's the problem. Maybe it's the iPhone's fault, can't say for sure but the fact that it works fine on other cars that have this feature tells me that the problem is on the side of the car. I feel like since it works for a while then stops, then works again if I unplug and plug the iphone back in also would indicate that the problem is with the car.

Who do you contact for tech support or to report bugs with with a BMW?


Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post
Time out.

I have the same car you have with the same Technology package, and everything you're describing that doesn't work does work for me. If you can list your questions one at a time I'll be happy to answer and help you fix your problems.

Understand that two things that may be causing you frustration have absolutely nothing to do with BMW but rather with Apple. Text messaging and email are not currently supported by Apple. Apple just launched a new Bluetooth protocol that has some compatibility but it's an accident that we can even get text messaging from our iPhones. Regarding Siri, it is not supported by BMW and full Siri integration isn't supported by any car manufacturer until spring of 2013.

As for album art, this is a known iPod problem that has existed for years. Something is corrupted in your album art database in iTunes. You need to reinstall iTunes which will reinstall your album art properly, then restore your iPod. It's extra work, no one likes the fact that it has to be done, but it's not going to go away until you do this. I did this two years ago when I had a similar problem with my BMW, since then it's been working flawlessly.

Again please list all of your issues and will be happy to help you one at a time. Most of us have your car and the same Technology package and things are working well for us.

BJ
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-23-2012, 09:03 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
I'm out of town so I'm not near the car to try anything now. But I can tell you that in terms of Siri, I know they don't have any special integration with them, but I'd expect the car to work like any bluetooth headset in that case and if it's going to pick up the sound input when I activate Siri it should not cut it off once I start talking. My old car and every BT headset I own can handle Siri just fine without having any kind of Siri integration. It's no different than making a call.
My car which, again, is your car works perfectly with Siri. The microphone is above your head by the sun visor and if you press-and-hold to activate Siri, wait a second for the radio sound to mute, and then speak a command she understands, from that point forward she operates flawlessly, just have to tap the backlight or home button to deactivate Siri and hear the radio sound fade in.

If it cuts of while you're talking, it's for one of three reasons:

1. The car microphone is obstructed by something on your visor or you're not talking loudly enough.
2. The Bluetooth audio profile in iDrive isn't turned to 'off'.
3. You have a weak 3G cellular connection to ATT, Verizon, whichever provider.

Siri requires a data connection as your voice commands are sent up to Apple's servers and back down to your iPhone. Bluetooth audio needs to be turned to 'off' for Siri or text alerts or anything audio-native to the iPhone to function.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
All my album art is up to date, I don't think that's the problem. Maybe it's the iPhone's fault, can't say for sure but the fact that it works fine on other cars that have this feature tells me that the problem is on the side of the car. I feel like since it works for a while then stops, then works again if I unplug and plug the iphone back in also would indicate that the problem is with the car.
Think of the album art datafile in iTunes as a large text file with thousands of lines of code pointing each MP3 or M4A file to a specific genre/artist/playlist. Along with those commands is the location of each album art file. That datafile can get corrupted very easily, and while your iPhone can clear itself up every time you hard-sync it, your iDrive can't. In order to rectify the situation you need to back up all your playlists, delete your library in iTunes, and delete iTunes from your computer. Then reinstall iTunes, import all your playlists, and re-sync to the library folder that contains all your raw music files. Doing this will clear up the situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elektrobank View Post
Who do you contact for tech support or to report bugs with with a BMW?
Your local SA but that's not going to help you with your current situation. Based on personal experience, my guess is that you have Bluetooth audio turned on and an iTunes library database that needs re-installation.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-24-2012, 09:01 AM
mikepinkerton mikepinkerton is offline
Registered Drooler
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
I think I have everything except BMW Apps, but I need both the aux and the USB connected to play my iPhone5. The weird thing is that it works...sometimes...with just USB but only reliably with both connected. Often the audio just comes out of the phone.

What package does "Enhanced USB" come with?

-mike
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-24-2012, 01:19 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
I think I have everything except BMW Apps, but I need both the aux and the USB connected to play my iPhone5. The weird thing is that it works...sometimes...with just USB but only reliably with both connected. Often the audio just comes out of the phone.

What package does "Enhanced USB" come with?

-mike
It's a bit confusing. The option needed is called "BMW Assist with Enhanced USB & Bluetooth".

2013 models have this option bundled in the Technology Package along with BMW Apps.

2012 models did not. It needed to be added separately. It is unrelated to BMW Apps.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
trinipirate trinipirate is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
Also If you get a 2013 with Nav without the Tech Package, you still get "BMW Assist with Enhanced USB & Bluetooth".
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:28 PM
mikepinkerton mikepinkerton is offline
Registered Drooler
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
I just checked my invoice, I have "BMW Assist with Enhanced USB & Bluetooth" but I still need both the aux and USB cable to get it to work reliably in my 2012.

-mike
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-25-2012, 12:36 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikepinkerton View Post
I just checked my invoice, I have "BMW Assist with Enhanced USB & Bluetooth" but I still need both the aux and USB cable to get it to work reliably in my 2012.

-mike
That shouldn't be happening. You should not need the Y cable at all, should just be able to use the white Apple USB cable solo.

Have you updated the firmware on your F30 and updated the firmware on your iPhone (or iPod) within the last few weeks? The F30 firmware update gets done on a USB thumbdrive in your armrest USB port.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/owners/nav...update_vin.jsp

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 11-25-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-25-2012, 07:31 PM
trinipirate trinipirate is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: CT
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 162
Mein Auto: 2013 328xi Sport
if you have enhanced bluetooth shouldnt you be able to stream w/o usb cable?
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-25-2012, 08:43 PM
boltjaM3s's Avatar
boltjaM3s boltjaM3s is offline
BMW Platinum Visa® Member
Location: USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 7,763
Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by trinipirate View Post
if you have enhanced bluetooth shouldnt you be able to stream w/o usb cable?
Yes. Download and install the Pandora app, go into iDrive and turn Bluetooth Audio 'on', and you'll be streaming in no time.

BJ
__________________

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-01-2012, 02:33 PM
mikepinkerton mikepinkerton is offline
Registered Drooler
Location: Northern VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 398
Mein Auto: '12 335i, '11 X3
I don't like using bluetooth audio because it requires using the phone to adjust playback for podcasts, and i don't want to be messing with it while I'm driving.

I'll try the firmware update.

-mike
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms