Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 11-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Mein Auto: 07 525i, 05 S500 4Matic
Transmission Oil Change

Hi, I'm a new E60 owner. Its an 07 525i with 95k kms (60k miles). I heard the transmission oil on these is lifetime. I don't buy that and I was wondering when I should change the tranny oil? any opinions based on your experiences ?

Also, What what kind of change? flush? drain and fill?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks
Advertisement
Old 11-08-2012, 04:41 PM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
I would recommend you change it now. http://thectsc.com/ has the oil (only use ZF, I don't care what anyone else tells you you can possibly use).

I did a video somewhere of changing the entire mechatronics unit (valvebody), but it shows pull pan off which should show you what you'll have to do if you're doing it yourself.

Make sure to reset transmission adaptations (via INPA) right after changing the fluid. When I first changed mine it jerked and bucked and was HORRIBLE to drive--I thought I was going to need a new transmission, but a reset in INPA made a huge difference. I then changed out the solenoids in the valve body and that finished fixing all of my issues (but I have 180K miles)

Anyways. Yes, change it. You can only change about half of it at a time (other half is in torque converter, etc.). Some people recommend changing half now and changing again in a few weeks so you get most of the old out.

Change the filter as well. It's built into the oil pan (plastic). thectsc sells a kit with oil and filter

I would not recommend a flush. Just drain and fill, maybe twice.

Again: RESET ADAPTATIONS afterwards. I tried the "hold the pedal down for 30 seconds with the engine off" thing and it didn't do squat. You need access to BMW software

Last edited by schpenxel; 11-08-2012 at 04:42 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM

Mein Auto: 550i
Anyone in the Boston area I had custom fittings made for my transmission flush machine and it works great. Full system flush right through the cooler lines.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:33 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
Serpetine belt change?

DIY or ?
Old 11-16-2012, 06:26 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 535i + 535XI wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by salexander View Post
DIY or ?
You could, but it requires pumping fluid back in and resetting some menus as described.
You need a lift to do this work and good tools. Might also need some new magnesium bolts, there are 21 of them i think.

I had it done recently by an indy. I brought the new pan (from ECS Tuning, $115, ZF stamped) and 7 quarts of transmission fluid. The car holds 9 quarts, but 3 of them are in the torque converter. I just added 6, which should be fine to mix with the remaining. It is rated lifetime, so adding 2/3rds fresh should be more than sufficient.

Now, key point: The main reason I did this on my 2008 E61 was to also replace the mechatronic valve sleeve. It's a $16 piece of tubing that separates electronics from the tranny fluid. Over time the original sleeve gets brittle and the seal leaks. This will cause the tranny to go into Park and throw a failure code. Happened on my sedan of same vintage.
The new updated sealing sleeve has a better, more durable design. So replace this and you will likely never have this problem, which is well documented and covered in BMW service bulletins and NHSB literature.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
DIY'er

Mein Auto: 2004 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceans10 View Post
You could, but it requires pumping fluid back in and resetting some menus as described.
You need a lift to do this work and good tools. Might also need some new magnesium bolts, there are 21 of them i think.

I had it done recently by an indy. I brought the new pan (from ECS Tuning, $115, ZF stamped) and 7 quarts of transmission fluid. The car holds 9 quarts, but 3 of them are in the torque converter. I just added 6, which should be fine to mix with the remaining. It is rated lifetime, so adding 2/3rds fresh should be more than sufficient.

Now, key point: The main reason I did this on my 2008 E61 was to also replace the mechatronic valve sleeve. It's a $16 piece of tubing that separates electronics from the tranny fluid. Over time the original sleeve gets brittle and the seal leaks. This will cause the tranny to go into Park and throw a failure code. Happened on my sedan of same vintage.
The new updated sealing sleeve has a better, more durable design. So replace this and you will likely never have this problem, which is well documented and covered in BMW service bulletins and NHSB literature.
You don't need a lift or any special tools. Just a socket set, allen wrench and torx bit.

I'm sure it's a lot easier on a lift, but I have done it on the ground with just jack stands

The seal is a royal paint to get out, at least on the 6hp26's. On mine it looks like I needed to remove a mount on the back of the transmission, but I didn't have any female torx sockets so I didn't end up changing it