Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)

X3 E83 (2004 - 2010)
Talk about the E83 BMW X3 in this forum!

Old 11-13-2012, 01:32 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X3, Mercedes CLK500
cooling system overhaul

in the coming months I will be redoing my cooling system as preventative maint. my 04 X3 is sitting at 82k miles now. here is what Im going with

BMW coolant
OEM BMW water pump
aftermarket thermostat/housing from either ECS or Turner
aftermarket expansion tank from ECS probably
brass bleed screw
new drain screw
OEM BMW thermostat

any suggestions or thoughts on my parts list?
my hoses appear to look like new, the BMW lived in the coastal SE, then the PNW so it has lived in rubber friendly enviroments.

I cannot see paying 3x for the stewart water pump either.
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
I would say stock with a BMW original expansion tank. I've heard bad things about aftermarket expansion tanks such as URO and Meyle.

Do you need a new engine block crush washer? If you're also doing a coolant flush at this time its best to drain the engine block.

Need distilled water. A few gallons.

Might want to change your belts and check tensioners and pullys while the water pump is out. Definitely change the serpantine belt if you haven't already. Looks like a good list!
Old 11-13-2012, 05:20 AM

yup, forgot about the crush washer, I will definately drain the block when I do the water pump change..

so I will go with OEM expansion tank, I will most likely go with OEM thermostat and housing too, its only about $50 more for both items to get OEM BMW anyway.

Belt and tensioner/idler pulley were replaced last winter, but I will double check them when I have everything apart.

should I replace the water pump pulley?
Old 11-13-2012, 06:58 AM

Mein Auto: 03 330i, 04 X3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fivepointnine View Post

Belt and tensioner/idler pulley were replaced last winter, but I will double check them when I have everything apart.

should I replace the water pump pulley?
I would just use the old pulley unless it's damaged.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 X3 sport, 2003 530
You might want to reconsider the hoses. They aren't that expensive and easier to do now rather then later. I can't really comment on the X3 (only owned mined for a few weeks) but I had an e39 with M54 engine for the previous six years. I never had the rubber part of a hose burst but I have developed leaks where the rubber hose meets the plastic tube connector. It could have been due to the crimp slowly loosening over time from the engine vibrations/movement but not sure of the cause. While you have it apart and empty of coolant the hoses will be a breeze to change.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:14 PM

how many gallon jugs of BMW coolant do I need to pick up?
Old 12-02-2012, 04:40 AM

Mein Auto: X3
A full drain including the block is between 9 and 10 quarts or 2.5 gallons. So I would get 2 gallons of coolant to be on the safe side.

With that said when I drained my n52 I only needed a little less than 8 quarts but I didn't pull the block drain. I was able to use only 1 gallon mixed with distilled water to yield 2 gallons.
Old 12-02-2012, 04:48 AM

Mein Auto: '03 BMW 530i
Radiator?
Old 12-02-2012, 02:43 PM

Mein Auto: A Gamma Goat
Quote:
Originally Posted by x3brian View Post
With that said when I drained my n52 I only needed a little less than 8 quarts but I didn't pull the block drain. I was able to use only 1 gallon mixed with distilled water to yield 2 gallons.
Same here. Even with some loss after "burping" the system I have a little mixed coolant left over.

And before anybody decides it's a good idea to stray from BMW coolant in an N52 they should read the attached PDF.