Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM

Mein Auto: X5
Exclamation Torn leather on 2012 model

I purchased a 2012 model last November and realized in September that I have tiny tears all over my back seat. I've even been using a seatcover. This is my third X5 and having owned the previous 2 for a total of 10 years (not using a seat cover) and never saw even a scratch on them. So, I'm kind of shocked that this happened.

Has anyone else with a 2012 had issues with the quality of their leather seats?
Ads by Google
Old 11-02-2012, 12:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
what do you mean by tiny tears? are they surface scuffs or slits that go all the through the leather?
Perhaps you can capture it in a picture.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:25 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Curious...a 'cover'... why???
Old 11-02-2012, 04:31 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Lexus LS400
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceh View Post
Has anyone else with a 2012 had issues with the quality of their leather seats?
Do you have the nappa leather or the nevada leather??
Old 11-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i, 330ci
My sense is stuff happens. I have kids, so anything is possible. I had a one inch deep cut in seat caused by a pencil left in a back pocket. Auto repair station fixed it fine. They basically fill with a flexible vinyl compound or something like it, let is dry and lightly sand surface to blend it in. The product is the color of the seat. After that they applied a lacquer finish. It doesn't show like an obvious repair. My description may scare you off a little, but it shouldn't. Dealers do this frequently before they sell the car on. Link below isn't what I used, but gives you an idea of the process. I don't think there is a problem with their leather. The vevada is nice, but the nappa is really nice. Good luck.

Old 11-02-2012, 07:28 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
So, your saying that your "seat cover" probably caused the tears, right? What kind of cover were you using (so that others can avoid it) and why were you using it? Dogs in the back perhaps? Their claws CAN work through most covers.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)

Last edited by ndabunka; 11-02-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 08:04 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Dogs in the back perhaps?
My though exactly...dog claws can create a lot of concentrated stress... still, could be a defective hide.

But absent an obvious cause, this should be a warrantable failure- just a defect in materials.

OP- post back the resolution!

A
Old 11-12-2012, 12:56 PM

update

I did take it to the BMW dealership. They said the seats aren't under warranty and the leather is not defective. They also suggested I buy the $444 seat cover from them. I also called BMW which was a total waste of time.

This car has the Nevada leather. I think my old car had the Nappa. Although the Nevada is nice and smooth, I would trade it in a heartbeat for the leather I used to have that was tough and would last longer than this has.

I'm attaching a picture. I don't believe the cover caused the issue. I only mentioned because this happened with the seats being covered 90% of their short 10 month life.

I am going to get them fixed and will post a picture once that is done. But I heads up to future owners, these Nevada seats are delicate and won’t take the abuse the older models could.

Thanks to you all for your comments
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Seat.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	349296  
Old 11-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by graceh View Post
I did take it to the BMW dealership. They said the seats aren't under warranty and the leather is not defective.

Did they put this in writing. on a work order?

Force them to do this, and force them to write either 'not under warranty' or 'leather damaged and not defective'...

Then go from there...

I am betting they just blew you off verbally, hence there is no paper trail. Once they commit in writing, you have a starting point.
Old 11-12-2012, 06:02 PM

Not certain what your concerns are? Leather...wears. If someone has something abrasive in their pocket (like a pocket knife), scars and scratches can (obviously) occur. Why would that be BMW's fault? There is a such a thing as 'wear & tear' and wear of leather would seem to fall into that category. If this had been a significant scar/tear along a seam or something, I could see a warranty case but your photos don't appears to show anything like that. Not certain what you were expecting.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
Old 11-13-2012, 12:25 PM

You're right, leather wears but I expected my seats to take years to show this kind of wear, not months (especially since they were covered most of the time). Since I owned my previous cars 4 and 6 years without this happening, I was surpised these seats were not comparable and wanted to see if others had a similar experience.

Thanks ard. That's good advice.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:22 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndabunka View Post
Not certain what your concerns are? Leather...wears. If someone has something abrasive in their pocket (like a pocket knife), scars and scratches can (obviously) occur. Why would that be BMW's fault? There is a such a thing as 'wear & tear' and wear of leather would seem to fall into that category. If this had been a significant scar/tear along a seam or something, I could see a warranty case but your photos don't appears to show anything like that. Not certain what you were expecting.
Actually based on the photo- which seemed to show light cracking or crazing within the pattern of the pores/features and not a pattern one might expect if something damaged it- like a box or tool.

On a microscopic level, does it look like maybe defective tanning and the cracks represent the hide failing at a natural weak spot?

I'd want a leather expert (NOT A BMW TECH) to look at this, understand what was ON the seat covers () and opine as to the cause. If THEY say the hide was defective, pin BMW down with that. But if the expert says 'hide looks good, I'd say this might have been dog claws causing too much pressure and tearing the hide through the cover', well then you have your answer.

I will also point out that you would expect to see failures where the tension is maximized- edges, seams, where the leather is being pulled down.... mid panel is kind of unusual.

Again, seats ARE warranted...it is damage due to wear, tear and abuse that is excluded. The trick in this case is 'can the physical evidence speak to an underlying defect and thereby rule out wear tear &abuse?'
Old 11-13-2012, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Actually based on the photo- which seemed to show light cracking or crazing within the pattern of the pores/features and not a pattern one might expect if something damaged it- like a box or tool.

On a microscopic level, does it look like maybe defective tanning and the cracks represent the hide failing at a natural weak spot?

I'd want a leather expert (NOT A BMW TECH) to look at this, understand what was ON the seat covers () and opine as to the cause. If THEY say the hide was defective, pin BMW down with that. But if the expert says 'hide looks good, I'd say this might have been dog claws causing too much pressure and tearing the hide through the cover', well then you have your answer.

I will also point out that you would expect to see failures where the tension is maximized- edges, seams, where the leather is being pulled down.... mid panel is kind of unusual.

Again, seats ARE warranted...it is damage due to wear, tear and abuse that is excluded. The trick in this case is 'can the physical evidence speak to an underlying defect and thereby rule out wear tear &abuse?'
I hear what your cooking but one would have to (somehow) convince the BMW service writer to agree with your observations. Not always an easy task especially if the subject matter is very subjective as is the case here. I wish the OP luck so we will simply watch and see what updates he can provide as this develops further.