Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-12-2012, 04:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 92 325i
Bucking like a bull

For the last week my 92 325i has been giving me whiplash. It idles perfectly and if you slam the gas it shoots foward but...... Say Im just cruising through town/highway the car will stall, allmost die (dash lights flash for a fraction of a second) then pick right back up like nothing happened. I took the car for a drive tonight and with the engine warmed up and goinga constent 25mph it stalled 5 times in a 4 square blocks.

It doesn't do it when coming to a stop and at full throttle it won't but if your at a constant speed or slowly excelerating it does it. I pulled the codes and only got 1216 (TPS) I put a new one on today and fixed nothing. Before the idle was crappy but now it's fine with the new TPS. I even disconected the battery and reconnected it with out any results.

One last thing, after my last run I pulled the air intake off to look at the inside of the throttle body. I opened full throttle and puffs of gasy smelling smoke came out. Don't know if thats related or not.
Primered Black 92' 325i. Ireland Engineering Header, Ireland Engineering Catback, TMS Underdrive pulleys, TMS chip, Bav auto fpr, Power Flow cai, Bav auto coil packs, Cool Carbon pads, Eiback springs, Bilstien Sport HD shocks/struts, 3.23 LSD, Understeer short shifter, 16'' Spal Fan, Goodridge Steel Brakelines, M3 Bumper, Black out grill, clear tails, M3 mirrors.
Advertisement
Old 11-12-2012, 05:31 PM

I went for another drive and while video recording I noticed that it only happens when the rear end of the car goes over a good sized bump or pot hole. The video was shot with my cell phone but you can get the idea of when I hit a large bump and it stalls.

Primered Black 92' 325i. Ireland Engineering Header, Ireland Engineering Catback, TMS Underdrive pulleys, TMS chip, Bav auto fpr, Power Flow cai, Bav auto coil packs, Cool Carbon pads, Eiback springs, Bilstien Sport HD shocks/struts, 3.23 LSD, Understeer short shifter, 16'' Spal Fan, Goodridge Steel Brakelines, M3 Bumper, Black out grill, clear tails, M3 mirrors.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:54 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
Main (DME) relay. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause an ignition cut-off and comes right back on.

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-12-2012, 06:49 PM
Just a kid with a toolbox

Mein Auto: 330ti
Quote:
Originally Posted by hornhospital View Post
Main (DME) relay. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause an ignition cut-off and comes right back on.
Don't think so because the CEL flashes. When there's no signal from the ECU, because either its burnt out or the relay is bad/disconnected, you don't get a CEL at all. This was the case with a burnt out ECU on my 92', and the case on our 87' when the DME relay came lose.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:47 PM

After all that I think I got it worked out. It only did that after the rear end bounced so I figured it had to be something in the rear and since the car is stripped the only thing left is the fuel pump.

Opened the little cover and automaticley see the hose from fuel pump too engine is pretty mangled looking at the end. Re cut it and then checked wiring. Of course the harness is jiggly so i fix that.

Took the car for a 10min drive and for the first time aimed for every bump and pot hole and not a single hiccup. If that was the problem, it wouldnt be the first time a odd problem/fix happened.

Sent from my thumb to your eyes
Old 11-13-2012, 12:41 AM

Mein Auto: 535i & 318is
engine

i hope your right ,i have the same probs... i took the fuel pump out once ,prob didnt put it in right .....my car run perfect then all of s sudden no power then picks up and goes well again this happens every now and again
Old 11-13-2012, 08:37 AM

Mine was to the point I couldnt drive it cause in rural kansas every road has large bumps.

Sent from my thumb to your eyes