Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-13-2012, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
2011 335d

Hello All,

Purchased a used 2011 335d with 12000 miles. My first BWM and first diesel.

My questions:

I know a little bit about diesels, but i was total there was no need to warm up or cool down the engine (turbo chargers) by the dealer. Really?? There is no way to check the temperature either? Thoughts?

Normally you would check the oil on a vehicle when it is cool, but with this one it needs to be done when the vehicle is hot. Does anyone know why this is different.

Thanks.

Linda
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	a90470c849d44d40a5a44aff0c474c7d[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	65.6 KB
ID:	349375   Click image for larger version

Name:	e46e74acb9664783971fa830edccbbbb[1].jpg
Views:	53
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	349376  
Advertisement
Old 11-13-2012, 07:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 335d
Hello Linda,

Congrats on your new purchase, you will come to love it!

On Bimmerfest we have a specific forum for diesels. Come on over and hang out with the cool folk.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=154
Old 11-13-2012, 08:02 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaG View Post
I know a little bit about diesels, but i was total there was no need to warm up or cool down the engine (turbo chargers) by the dealer. Really?? There is no way to check the temperature either? Thoughts?

Normally you would check the oil on a vehicle when it is cool, but with this one it needs to be done when the vehicle is hot. Does anyone know why this is different.
Sounds to me like the dealer's salesman is more used to the gas 335i than the diesel. Although the 335i doesn't need cool-down (due to it's electric water pump that will run after shutdown), the 335d should be cooled down a bit by driving at small throttle settings.

Both cars should not be stressed heavily until the oil warms up a bit - note that it says something like: "drive moderately for the first few minutes".

As far as checking oil, it doesn't really matter hot/cold, but after the oil has had a chance to drain back into the crankcase (note it says: "wait 5 minutes" before checking the dipstick). Note that the cars without a dipstick (335i, 328i) need to be hot because you need to have the car on and operating to use that feature.

As Pas-d says, welcome and come on over.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:26 AM

Mein Auto: 335D
Thanks for the information!! Your recommendations are things I have been doing.

When I left the dealer (@ 8 pm) after my purchase, my first warning light came on. I thought it was a speed limit notice (was set for 80mph). Drove 1 1\2 hours home and the light never went out.

The next morning I FINALLY found out I was down a quart of oil.

I kept checking the oil when the engine was cold and it showed appropriate levels. When checked warmed, it was below minimum.

My first few days felt like I was driving a rocket ship I had no clue how to operate.

Added oil and called the dealer to find out WHY it was down. Well, I never really got an answer, but scheduled its yearly maintenance, which no one could prove was done. They did the service, fixed my engine fan (because would not go off) and after two days called me to tell me it was ready, but when they went to wash it they hit another customers car and both needed to go to the body shop then next day to have the scratched repainted.
So I had at that point owned this car 5 days and it was in the shop 3 of those days.
The following weekend, I drove from Florida to S. Carolina, about 8 hours, great drive good mileage, but check engine light came on. Found a dealer, it was a faulty throttle assembly, which was fixed and a Recall, for EGA emissions, which I have not done yet….I have so little faith with dealers and service reps.

So finding this site is a really really good thing.

Thank you and I am sure I will have TONS of questions.

Linda

I have joined the Diesel forum.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:59 AM
Fluggaenkdechioebolsen!

Mein Auto: MH-60S
Welcome to the fest. I DO approve of your exterior paint choice!

You might want to investigate turbo timers. It's a device that'll leave the car running (after you park, take your key and walk away) for a few minutes at idle to cool the turbos.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:43 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d, 328d, Toyota T100
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaG View Post
Added oil and called the dealer to find out WHY it was down. Well, I never really got an answer, but scheduled its yearly maintenance, which no one could prove was done. They did the service, fixed my engine fan (because would not go off) and after two days called me to tell me it was ready, but when they went to wash it they hit another customers car and both needed to go to the body shop then next day to have the scratched repainted.
So I had at that point owned this car 5 days and it was in the shop 3 of those days.
The following weekend, I drove from Florida to S. Carolina, about 8 hours, great drive good mileage, but check engine light came on. Found a dealer, it was a faulty throttle assembly, which was fixed and a Recall, for EGA emissions, which I have not done yet….I have so little faith with dealers and service reps.
That's way more trouble than most people have. One thing that seems apparent is that the dealer - or actually his mechanics - don't know enough about these diesels. This has been commented on other places: most of the techs at a dealership are pretty incompetent when it comes to the diesels. Some of them apparently don't (didn't?) know that they take different oil than the gas motors.

Find another dealer/shop.