Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:40 AM

Mein Auto: X3
Auto Shut-Off Solution!!

For those of you that hate the Auto Shut-Off feature and want to disable it automatically, I have an easy solution. Just start driving in a climate where the temperature is consistently below 0 degrees Celsius (32 degrees F) and your Auto Shut-Off won't engage at all.
Up here in Canada that's what we are now faced with and since then the only time the Auto-Shut Off engaged is when the temperature went above freezing for a couple of hours one day.
I guess some BMW engineer decided to take pity on those of us who live in cold climates and didn't want us to freeze while waiting at a red light.

Yes, yes, yes, I know there is a button you can press to disengage this feature too.
Advertisement
Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
... and you can code the car so that the car remembers the last setting, either on or off.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:33 PM

That'll be the day when I try to hack my X3's computer and end up disabling the engine or something just as bad.
Old 11-05-2012, 04:20 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 M-Sport
hehe, now worries. I was very concerned about giving my $70K car a lobotomy too. In the end I enabled and/or fixed a few things no problems. In the USA there is a technical service bulletin where the dealership can provide the same fix with about 5 hours of dealership coding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm50 View Post
That'll be the day when I try to hack my X3's computer and end up disabling the engine or something just as bad.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X3
Ridiculous Feature...its a BMW not a Hyndai

I just brought my 2007 X3 in for repairs and was lucky enough to get brand new 2013 X3 28i for a loaner car with 25 miles on it. I am going to be trading my car in for a new X3 and have been going back and forth between the 28i and 35i. I am not sure if this feature is on the 35i as well but I can tell you it is horrible and makes the car feel cheap and decreases the performance tremendously. This is a BMW and people don't buy BMW's for fuel efficiency! They buy them for performance and this is very upsetting. If I wanted an "efficiency dynamics" guage to constantly increase and decrease as I was driving, I could just drive my cheap american company car all the time. BMW should be ashamed of themselves for trying to be like the hyndai and honda's of the world. And yes, I know the gas prices are outrageous and its a hot button. But if someone wanted fuel efficiency and no power, they would buy a small 4cyl sedan, not a SUV in the first place. It feels like you are driving an electronic car when it shuts off and then when it starts back up again to accelerate, it loses that initial power to really take off which I am acustomed to after driving my X3 for several years. And who wants to have to remember to disengage this everytime they start the car or to reinvent the wheel reprogramming the computer? Can anyone tell me if this feature is in the X3 35i too?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 PM

Yes this "feature" is on my 2013 X3 35i too.
I don't believe that BMW had any choice though as I think this auto shutoff feature has been mandated for all car manufacturers.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
The Auto Stop Start feature can be modified by the dealer (in the US) to default to the last setting, rather than defaulting to On.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
If you get a 2011 X3, the auto start/stop was not on either model for that calendar year.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:15 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X3 35i
The US and EU regullators do not care who the manufacturer or their target customer is. Every manufacturer must meet the fleet pollution emissions and fuel consumption regulations based on each vehicle's default operating mode as the vehicle is delivered by the dealer. BMW would get no special dispensation even if every customer were to submit a sworn affadavit that these metrics have no effect on the purchase decision. BMWNA understands the conflict and has done what it can to satisfy customers. After the dealer has sold and delivered the vehicle to the customer, BMWNA will pay the dealer to reprogram auto stop start one time to default at startup to the user's last setting. Therefore, everyone with MY2013+ should stop arguing and take yes for an answer.