Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 11-17-2012, 03:54 AM
jfxogara jfxogara is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: Citroen DS-21
Is premium diesel science fiction?

Now that I have put away my old-tech Benz 300-D in favor of a 335d, I have been looking for premium diesel in the D.C. area.

I'll save you a lot of reading and just say that when I contacted a fuel distributor for BP/Amoco, he told me that the premium diesel line had been discontinued within the last two years, at least for BP/Amoco.

More interestingly -- and these are the guys who download the shipments at Curtis Bay in Baltimore -- he said that premium diesel is an "additivized product," i.e., it's just 40 cetane diesel with some gunk poured in, much as members on this forum do every fuel change but much against what my 335d manual recommends.

I guess I will feel better about dumping a little Optiube or Power Service in my tank from now on.
Reply With Quote
Ads by Google
  #2  
Old 11-17-2012, 05:47 AM
ChasR ChasR is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 121
Mein Auto: 335d, E28 M5, Clubman S
iI've never found any premium diesel in the Atlanta area. Best fuel mileage has been obtained with Chevron, which also happens to be what the dealership recommends. I've been using Opti-Lube and it seems to improve fuel mileage slightly, somewhere .5 to 1 mpg on my daily commute.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:58 AM
omnishield omnishield is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 6
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 335d
I use Shell V-Power up here in Ontario which is readily available along most highway stations and in the burbs. Not so available in downtown Toronto.

The actual cetane value is never listed anywhere but I saw a thread once where someone e-mailed head office to find an answer. I've used both and my car is a CPO and I can easily say that the premium diesel made a noticible difference for my car especially for starts from a standstill. There is significantly less turbo lag and engine noise.

The price difference up here is 5cents/l compared to regular diesel.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-17-2012, 07:11 AM
DC-IT DC-IT is online now
Love my Diesel Vehicles
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 502
Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Here in Toronto, most stations have only one ULSD and I can only find V-Power (Premium) Diesel in Shell stations!

Initially I've used V-Power Diesel but have not found it any different from regular ULSD so I've not bothered with V-Power for the past almost three years of driving my diesel vehicles and so far so good.

The FE on the D seems to be improving with 100,000 KM on the clock.

Frankly I cannot justify getting rid of the D even if BMW brings in a 320d with higher MPG since my D is paid in full from day one.
I would stand to lose over $30K in depreciation just to gain a few MPG and incur new dept or shell out more $$$ just doesn't make sense.

For now, unless my D starts acting up I'll drive it till it drops dead!
__________________
DC-IT

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-17-2012, 11:07 AM
floydarogers's Avatar
floydarogers floydarogers is offline
Pedant and Curmudgeon
Location: Renton, WA
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,529
Mein Auto: 335d
Premium is marketing

As Omni mentioned, Cetane doesn't make a whole lot of difference, except for cold starts where it helps with the initial light-off and reduces particulate size (which means fewer DPF cycles). You won't get improved mileage from a higher cetane fuel (in general).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-17-2012, 01:47 PM
DC-IT DC-IT is online now
Love my Diesel Vehicles
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 502
Mein Auto: E350BlueTec, Jetta TDI
Quote:
Originally Posted by omnishield View Post
I use Shell V-Power up here in Ontario which is readily available along most highway stations and in the burbs. Not so available in downtown Toronto.

The actual cetane value is never listed anywhere but I saw a thread once where someone e-mailed head office to find an answer. I've used both and my car is a CPO and I can easily say that the premium diesel made a noticible difference for my car especially for starts from a standstill. There is significantly less turbo lag and engine noise.

The price difference up here is 5cents/l compared to regular diesel.
That was me and posted on this thread:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...t=#post4576310
__________________
DC-IT

Current Rides:
2013 E350 BlueTec
2011 VW Jetta TDI
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-17-2012, 06:06 PM
dunderhi's Avatar
dunderhi dunderhi is online now
0-60 in 4 secs or less!
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 5,705
Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
I consistently get 2 mpgs better fuel economy from diesel sold by Highs Dairy Markets (Citgo & Shell gas) versus any other diesel station in my area including Shell stations owned by different chains. I always assumed it was a difference in Cetane, but I'm open to hear a different explanation.
__________________


2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-18-2012, 10:42 AM
Snipe656 Snipe656 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Humble, Tx
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 4,032
Mein Auto: 2009 335d
The difference between the "gunk" put in at the depot and an additive bought off the shelf is the level of R&D put into that "gunk". It will be additives designed for the fuel available in that region and to bring it up to the levels that manufacturer is willing to put their label on. This is not to imply additives off the shelf are a bad thing, people can always decide for themselves after all what they feel is good for their needs v what is more or less some snake oil.
__________________
--Admiral Aaron Rouse
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:27 PM
BMWTurboDzl BMWTurboDzl is online now
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Atlanta
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 1,097
Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfxogara View Post
Now that I have put away my old-tech Benz 300-D in favor of a 335d, I have been looking for premium diesel in the D.C. area.

I'll save you a lot of reading and just say that when I contacted a fuel distributor for BP/Amoco, he told me that the premium diesel line had been discontinued within the last two years, at least for BP/Amoco.

More interestingly -- and these are the guys who download the shipments at Curtis Bay in Baltimore -- he said that premium diesel is an "additivized product," i.e., it's just 40 cetane diesel with some gunk poured in, much as members on this forum do every fuel change but much against what my 335d manual recommends.

I guess I will feel better about dumping a little Optiube or Power Service in my tank from now on.
Probably except in California.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-22-2012, 07:11 AM
GoVols! GoVols! is offline
Registered User
Location: Leesburg, VA
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 28
Mein Auto: 2009 X5d
There are several stations that I use in NOVA that have 45 cetane.

Shell in Alexandria at the corner of Edsel & VanDorn(cheapest I've found)
Shell on Duke St in Alexandria across from Harris Teeter and Exxon(always 15 cents more expensive than the one above)
Shell next to McDonalds/Costco in Woodbridge
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-22-2012, 08:23 AM
DZLMAN DZLMAN is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 335d M Sport/Premium Pkg
Over the past 16 years [converted to diesel powered vehicles] I have tried all brands, regular and enhanced diesel. Up here in and around Toronto area, we used to have Sunoco's Gold Diesel that I found gave a bit more mileage and smoother/quiter operation. Sunoco merged with Petro Canada and discontinued the Gold Diesel product. Back then before ULSD, enhanced diesel did make a difference because regular diesel was less refined. Post ULSD its not the same. Shell V-Power is a good product along with Husky's Diesel Max, I prefer Husky's because diesel sale volume is much higher at husky stations since they cater more to trucking companies etc. Due to high volume its normally cheaper than shell and relatively fresher. Down south I found Chevron to be better than most.
__________________
2011 335D Alpine White/Chestnut Brown, M-Sport, Premium, NAV..SOLD
2012 VW Golf TDI Black/Black, Highline, DSG, Nav..His
2012 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6spd White/Black, Highline, Pan Roof, Nav..Hers
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:23 AM
DZLMoose DZLMoose is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 06 Jetta TDI Future 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLMAN View Post
Over the past 16 years [converted to diesel powered vehicles] I have tried all brands, regular and enhanced diesel. Up here in and around Toronto area, we used to have Sunoco's Gold Diesel that I found gave a bit more mileage and smoother/quiter operation. Sunoco merged with Petro Canada and discontinued the Gold Diesel product. Back then before ULSD, enhanced diesel did make a difference because regular diesel was less refined. Post ULSD its not the same. Shell V-Power is a good product along with Husky's Diesel Max, I prefer Husky's because diesel sale volume is much higher at husky stations since they cater more to trucking companies etc. Due to high volume its normally cheaper than shell and relatively fresher. Down south I found Chevron to be better than most.
I miss the Gold Diesel, I am on my first tank of V-Power. I'll try this for a while and then maybe try Husky after.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-22-2012, 09:30 AM
DZLMAN DZLMAN is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario, Canada
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 120
Mein Auto: 335d M Sport/Premium Pkg
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLMoose View Post
I miss the Gold Diesel, I am on my first tank of V-Power. I'll try this for a while and then maybe try Husky after.
DZLMoose, any chance u an ex VW TDI guy?? I have feeling you are, if yes were you a TDIClub.com member? Sorry don't mean to hijack OP's thread.
__________________
2011 335D Alpine White/Chestnut Brown, M-Sport, Premium, NAV..SOLD
2012 VW Golf TDI Black/Black, Highline, DSG, Nav..His
2012 VW Golf Wagon TDI 6spd White/Black, Highline, Pan Roof, Nav..Hers
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-22-2012, 10:31 AM
DZLMoose DZLMoose is offline
Registered User
Location: Toronto, CA
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 06 Jetta TDI Future 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by DZLMAN View Post
DZLMoose, any chance u an ex VW TDI guy?? I have feeling you are, if yes were you a TDIClub.com member? Sorry don't mean to hijack OP's thread.
Yes and yes. But I wasn't really that active on that forum.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-23-2012, 04:21 AM
jfxogara jfxogara is offline
Registered User
Location: Washington, D.C.
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 57
Mein Auto: Citroen DS-21
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoVols! View Post
There are several stations that I use in NOVA that have 45 cetane.

Shell in Alexandria at the corner of Edsel & VanDorn(cheapest I've found)
Shell on Duke St in Alexandria across from Harris Teeter and Exxon(always 15 cents more expensive than the one above)
Shell next to McDonalds/Costco in Woodbridge
GoVols thanks a ton!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-23-2012, 03:56 PM
ronbros ronbros is offline
Registered User
Location: austin tx
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: jaguar
well i have been getting my fuel from a local station for 5yrs, but in the last month ,it seems and feels much better!

my boost gage reads 3-4lbs more pressure at 150-200rpm earlier,lower in the range, and no smoke like i usually have.

car runs and drives much better, and goes up hills with less effort, the only change has to be the fuel for winter, or they got a load of hi-cetane fuel!
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-25-2012, 05:22 AM
EYE4SPEED's Avatar
EYE4SPEED EYE4SPEED is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: West Coast... of Michigan
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 285
Mein Auto: 335d M-Sport LCI
Which car do you have a boost gauge in? Is it factory or aftermarket?
__________________
FS: 19" HRE 840R's/Tires/TPMS http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...94#post7186394
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-25-2012, 03:01 PM
ronbros ronbros is offline
Registered User
Location: austin tx
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4
Mein Auto: jaguar
its an after market boost gage.

my diesel car is not a Jaguar,(i wish it was an XF-D 2.2L,twin turbo).
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms