Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 11-14-2012, 01:09 PM

Mein Auto: 03 Accord Ex V6-6 Speed
Looking at a few 335i and have some questions

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and, I will be looking at two BMW 335i. Both have approx 55-60k on them. Now one is a 6 speed and the other is an auto. I know how to check if a clutch is good or bad as i currently have a 6 speed manual car as we speak. But what should i look when i am checking/driving both of these vehicles? Anything particular? Thank you.
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 335I
Hi. I am also new in this forum and also to a BMW 335I Mine is Manual, my cousin's an Auto. I have driven His as well before and I can tell you for me the Auto is much more easy driving, the manual you can feel when you shift and feels like you are breaking something. but I guess this is because of the cars power it just does that. I love manual trans. I guess is just a like it or not. Just buy both.
Old 11-14-2012, 02:01 PM

Haha. Thanks, I would like the 6 speed as well. But my concern wasn't so much which I would rather have, truth be told I'd choose any. I would just like to know from membes on the board what I should look for when driving the vehicle or when it is at idle. Anything I should be specifically looking for?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:00 PM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Let's try to be a little clearer here: they are both 6 speeds. One is manual and the other automatic.

There are a couple threads up at the top you need to read. You also should use the Search feature - all your questions have been asked before, in other threads. Read those answers then come back with specific questions.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:38 PM

Ok.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:37 AM
BMWCCA 149159

Mein Auto: 335 vert//M3/4/ 13Outback
Gentlemen:
A couple of very important questions
Do either of you plan to boost your horsepower and torque with mods like flash programs, large FMIC, catless downpipes,etc?
If so both the auto and the manual transmissions have proven to take a lot more hp and torque than their rating. If you have a manual you will need to replace the clutch if you are hard on it like blasting off from a dead stop but will take a good while. Auto is just as robust and it too will wear out clutch plates.
Bear in mind that "typical" clutch life for a BMW is around 110-125K miles based on normal use. Hiway driving will extend that and city driving will hit that mark so as long as you know that will be coming up.
On the auto your life expectancy is related to how often you change the Lifeguard 6 transmission fluid. If I just purchased a 50-60K mile 335 auto first order of business is to change all the fluids. Do more research and see what will help you keep this ride healthy...
Old 11-15-2012, 09:47 AM

Thanks for the reply fun2drive.. I do plan on modding the 335i, I plan on purchasing the jb4 software and DCI and that is pretty much it as far as performance. Thanks for giving me some suggestions as what i should do if i purchase either 335i.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 E93 N54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shazv6 View Post
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and, I will be looking at two BMW 335i. Both have approx 55-60k on them. Now one is a 6 speed and the other is an auto. I know how to check if a clutch is good or bad as i currently have a 6 speed manual car as we speak. But what should i look when i am checking/driving both of these vehicles? Anything particular? Thank you.

A good indy for PPI.