Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 12-11-2009, 08:31 PM
06 BMW 650i Sprt/Prem Pkg

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 650i e64
Keyless Ignition

I'm thinking I would like to have the key-less ignition package installed on my 06 650..
Anybody herd of it being done?

2006 BMW 650i Sport/Premium Package
+ Various Mods & Upgrades
Ads by Google
Old 12-12-2009, 05:11 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 650i & 2006 325xi
It's called comfort access and it is a great thing to have.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:18 AM
Havin' fun

Mein Auto: 2006 650i convertible 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by bokmeipai View Post
It's called comfort access and it is a great thing to have.
Personally, like the push button start I could do without it. Its more techno-junk, to me. I have comfort access in my 3er and its a pain in the ass if you are not traveling solo. Still use the key to lock/unlock more often than not.

2006 650i 6MT convertible Atlantic Blue/Cream Beige.
2009 328xi Sport Wagon Black Sapphire/Black
Old 12-12-2009, 01:49 PM

Mein Auto: 07 650i Convertible
doubt it can be done cheap as you would have to get new key fobs which are expensive and if anybody can do it, it has to be a dealer as reprogramming will likely need to occur and new key fobs ordered... (I think that's the part that will be a problem, as I doubt BMW will issue you a different type of key fob than the original - the comfort access key fob has extra electronics inside from what I understand)

try asking your dealer as well, they may know
Old 12-12-2009, 02:56 PM

Mein Auto: 650i
It requires extensive overhaul from what I have heard. Door handles/control unit/ignition unit/ key fobs. It would prob cost a couple thousand just in parts to convert. Not worth it at all.

2006 650i - SMG - Alpine White / Chateau
Mods: OEM style 249 19" rims, H&R 10mm front spacers and 12mm rear spacers, KW v3 coilovers, Magnaflow exhaust (x-pipe, mufflers, resonator delete), RPi scoop, BMC filter (charcoal delete), LED angel eyes, 30% tint, OEM iPod interface, AC Schnitzer aluminum pedals, black kidney grill
Old 12-12-2009, 08:03 PM

Mein Auto: '13 550 XI and '11 335cv
whatever you spend on the electronics - spend an equal amount on advil. you're going to need it.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:31 AM

I figure with labor and parts this may run you 5K easy...

an idea is go to the dealer, see what they have and trade in your car for one with the keyless ignition... while you're at it look at 07's and 08's as well..

in my state, you only pay sales tax on the difference, so if you can get the price difference under 5K, you got yourself a good deal...
Old 12-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

Mein Auto: ACS e64 650i SMG S.Black
Haven't heard of it being retrofitted. It's great to have but you'll need to stick the fob in now and then just so the internal battery gets charged up.
Old 12-13-2009, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JESMAL View Post
Haven't heard of it being retrofitted. It's great to have but you'll need to stick the fob in now and then just so the internal battery gets charged up.
dunno if things changed in the 07, but mine has a CR2032 battery that I had to replace - 4 dollars... I tried to stick it in, hoping it would charge, but it didn't...

I think the non-comfort access keys are the ones that charge themselves... I could be wrong though
Old 12-13-2009, 08:25 PM
Makin Lotsa Noise

Mine's the comfort access key fob. It charges when I plug it in. Never had to change the battery. iDrive will warn me of low battery status if I drive the car without plugging the key in for a stretch of 4 months. Once that happens, I just drive for the next 2 weeks with the fob plugged in and the battery will be full again. Really neat.
Old 12-13-2009, 09:30 PM

interesting... maybe mine charges then and the cr2032 is a backup... how long do you have to leave it in for it to charge.. since mine's a weekend driver, likely I just haven't left in in long enough...
Old 12-14-2009, 12:29 AM
Makin Lotsa Noise

I drive mine for a total of not more than 1.5 hours a day. So it's basically stuck in the ignition for that amount of time.
Old 12-26-2009, 07:57 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 645 convertible
Try digital guard dawg or stardrive from what I hear they are the top keyless ignition systems available. I'm also in the market for one as well I'm leaning towards DGD but I live in CT and I'm looking for a top tier installer i can trust with my 645
Old 12-15-2012, 05:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
To me, this keyless ignition stuff is probably built in and I'd think it would be too expensive and too much of a pain to convert it.
Old 12-15-2012, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpaulo View Post
I figure with labor and parts this may run you 5K easy...

an idea is go to the dealer, see what they have and trade in your car for one with the keyless ignition... while you're at it look at 07's and 08's as well..

in my state, you only pay sales tax on the difference, so if you can get the price difference under 5K, you got yourself a good deal...
I think trading your car might be the better option in this case. I have a 1998 silver BMW 328is Coupe and I might eventually trade for a newer model. The used ones I saw were 2008 and up with the keyless ignition already built into it.
Old 12-16-2012, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 528i + 2007 650 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by coug60 View Post
I'm thinking I would like to have the key-less ignition package installed on my 06 650..
Anybody herd of it being done?
I have Comfort Access in my 07' 650i and I also had it in my 06' 530i. I have to tell you it's not worth the bother or the $$$. I'm not sure it's worth the $1,200 that it costs as an option.

The only thing it does is allow you to open the doors without touching the key. In older models you may have to to insert the key but in newer models with or without CA you do not need to put in the key. In fact in my '12 F10 without CA there is not even a key slot.

There are at least 7 sensors in the car and like the convertible top it's way over engineered. Installing is would be a nightmare.

Also to clarify some earlier points, there are 2 different key fobs, one for CA, and one for non-CA cars. The standard key does have a rechargeable battery and needs to be put in the key slot to re-charge.

The CA key has a CR2032 non-rechargeable battery in it. This battery will not charge in the key slot. You do have to change the battery in it every few years.

One thing that can happen with a CA key is that if the battery is low, or even randomly the key looses it's memory it can send a false or bad signal to the car. Driving with the key in the slot will re-program it and it will be fine again.

This happened to me this weekend. I used the spare key and I got a steering lock error. Ran the car with the regular key and no problem. Put the spare key in the slot and everything was fine. I confirmed this with a friend that has an M6 and he has seen similar things with the CA keys.

I would imagine that the standard key if not used for a long period and not re-charged in the car would loose it's memory as the battery drained and then you would see some issues with that key.

As for the upgrade, I feel the same way about the CIC computer, and the Heads-Up display. I really want both but it's not worth the cost to do it. I'll wait a couple of years and then get a newer year with those options.

I Love LA. It lets me ride in the winter with the top down.
07' E64/Black....14' F10/M-Sport White
Old 12-16-2012, 11:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i LCI
Quote:
Originally Posted by docpaulo View Post
dunno if things changed in the 07, but mine has a CR2032 battery that I had to replace - 4 dollars... I tried to stick it in, hoping it would charge, but it didn't...

I think the non-comfort access keys are the ones that charge themselves... I could be wrong though
I have a 2008 LCI and it ha the same battery. It's waaaay better. When the battery dies, just change it. The old units were sealed units and needed to be replaced when the battery died. Super expensive!

2008 BMW 650i Convertible- LCI.
- ACS style rear spoiler
-Eisenmann Race Exhaust, resonators removed, Magnaflow X pipe.
- LED Angel eyes, plate light and interior package
- Tinted Windows- Charcoal 20%
- Stock 19" summer wheels & 18" M6 Winter wheels