Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 12-27-2013, 09:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5 3.0L
Help! Service Engine Light - Car Shaking at Idle - Fan Won't Turn Off

Guys, I'm at my wits end with my 2002 BMW X5 3.0L. I purchased it for $10k two years ago (92,000 miles on it) with the understanding it needed some work. Overall, it was still in really good shape on the exterior and my mechanic said it didn't look too bad under the hood either. One previous female owner who worked for the Government and took it back and forth to work. Sounds like a pretty good deal, right?

Took it to the BMW Service Facility here in Peabody, Mass. $2,400 later, I had:

-a new oil filter housing gasket and oil filter
-vanos line
-high pressure line
-thrust arm bushings
-right headlight bulb socket, wiring and connector

The thing ran mint for a few months before I needed to have the battery replaced. Again, ran awesome for a while until I needed to replace the final stage resistor, since the fans wouldn't shut off even when turning the car off. OK great, done.

Car is running awesome for about a year until...the Washer Fluid tank starts leaking and I start getting Check Front Headlight, Rear Light, Brake Light, License Plate Light (You name it, I got it and replaced it). Awesome, the car is bright as a Christmas Tree now with all new lights.

Then the real fun started...The buttons on my AC/Heat Control panel all fell off magically. Just started shedding out of nowhere, so I replaced the Panel. I would then get a Check Engine Oil Level Light about once every two weeks. Pumped in about 5 quarts of Engine Oil in two months. Mechanic says there is no leak, he checked a few times. Wonderful. Took it to another mechanic to check for leaks. Still nothing. Even better.

To top it all off, my car now has a solid yellow Service Engine Soon light on and my wife nearly got killed cause the car stalled in the middle of a busy intersection when the light first came on. The car shakes like crazy when idle or at a Stop sign or red light. There is absolutely no pickup when you give it gas, and the fan won't shut off AGAIN. The mechanic put in a completely new set of Spark Plugs and tried changing out two different Crankshaft Sensors, since that is the original code the car put out and a pretty common problem with this model. After doing this, the car started spitting out even more codes and still shook like crazy. He finally gave up and said bring it to the BMW dealer, because he thinks the computer is completely jacked up and needs to be reset. He wasn't confident in the reliability of the codes since the computer may not be operating properly. He mentioned something about the car trying to prevent itself from blowing up because fuel isn't burning correctly in the engine, but is not sure why it continues to misfire (Very comforting). He thinks it could be the coils as well, but the codes keep changing. I myself can smell burning oil emanating from under the hood, even after starting the car and leaving it idle for only about 10 minutes.

And did I mention my key won't charge and I can't unlock my doors remotely?

Am I going to have to replace every part of this car? Is this what German quality means? This is the biggest piece of junk I have ever seen in my life. Please help me fix this thing so I can pawn it off on someone else and tell them good luck! Enjoy your two trips to the mall before you have to bring it back to the shop!

Either that or help me restore faith in this car, because when it runs the way it should, I love it to death. It just hasn't done that enough for me up to this point.
Ads by Google
Old 12-28-2013, 09:40 AM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB

My bet... Change the CCV and the associated vent hoses, it sounds like it's clogged.

CCV = crankcase vent valve.

Do a search here, and read the threads, your symptoms are common.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-28-2013, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 BMW X5 3.0L
Thanks for the reply Scott. Would the crankcase vent valve also be causing the computer in the car to spazz out? I talked to one guy who said that if one thing goes wrong under the hood, it causes the computer to lose it's mind and start spitting out codes that might not have anything to do with the problem.

Any truth to the rumor?
Old 12-28-2013, 03:54 PM
We want the Lion!

Mein Auto: 03 ZHP, 01 X5, 73 MGB

I would clear all the codes and start over.

How old is your battery? All sorts of weird electrical issues occur with a dying battery.

I need to search, but there's also an issue common to the E39 that causes wired codes to be thrown; the E53 and E39 share the same electrical system architecture.

Massive oil consumption and poor running are often caused by a bad CCV.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Bob View Post
JUST...LOOK...UNDER...THE...CAR....for Chrissakes....it`s like checking to see if a dog is male or female....
Quote:
Originally Posted by smolck View Post
A bimmer with forced induction should have a proper manual gearbox. Anything less is like french kissing your sister.
Old 12-29-2013, 01:43 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5 4,4
did you check the battery voltage with a meter, and then start car to check again to see if alternator is working up to par. How did you get fans to stop or did they run down the battery ? My alternator died recently at 115 K 2002 x 5 . car stopped running and would not restart. Battery logo was on dash even after new battery was installed. With Alt. all is good. #$ 309 remanufactured and bought the tools to remove viscous fan etc. Did it my self and it took a long time for the first time. 12 years from now will be half the time. Thanks Eduard