Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 02-16-2013, 09:51 AM

Mein Auto: Audi Allroad
No ZCW= No Rear seat pass through?

I just found out by reading these forums that if you don't get the Cold weather package, you don't get the rear seat center armrest pass through?

I incorrectly assumed that even w/out the CWP that it would still ave the pass through? I just didn't think that they would go to the trouble of making two separate backseats for an SUV!?. My mistake, I know, and I honestly didn't think to look into the details. I passed on the CWP b/c with AD, EPS, and Prem I was at my budget. My car is built and on the way to the dealer. I really wanted the pass through. My Allroad had it, my 2012 S4 even had it. I know those are Audis but I assumed incorrectly that it is a common feature of a German auto/ SUV. I don't really care about heated steering wheel and such. I have lived this long w/out it and honestly never noticed I didn't have it. The pass through is something I would use often for skiing. I have my own skibag so having BMW's didn't matter to me. Oh well. C'est la via.

I could refuse delivery and re-order but that might complicate things a little as I traded my S4 in two weeks ago and am driving one of their loaners. Not sure how long they want me in their 2013 528XI. Although if they don't mind, I don't. I have a call into my CA. Will wait and see what they think.

Last edited by jonnyz1245; 02-16-2013 at 09:57 AM.
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2013 X5 35i Premium
Don't settle. The purpose of ordering and waiting is so that you get the exact car you want. Heated steering wheel is a good feature a d like you said if you never really used it before you don't know what your missing.

To me I got CWP because I value the heated steering wheel very much, but the ski pass through hole not at all.
2007 525i - Black Sapphire Metallic, Black Nevada Leather, Premium package, CWP, 6MT.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 50i
I wish you could have my rear seat pass through as I never use it. On the other hand, I use the heated steering wheel often in the winter. Keep us updated on what happens.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 & 2012 X5 35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by kzang View Post
to me i got cwp because i value the heated steering wheel very much
+1
Old 02-16-2013, 01:07 PM
'12 X5 35d Black-on-Black

Mein Auto: X5d Ski Machine-Blk Betty
You can always simply fold down the smaller of the 2 rear seats and your ski bag can go there. Only problem would be if you needed BOTH back seats for other passengers and if that was the case, you would be carrying not ONE set of skis but rather would have need to transport a minimum of THREE skis and (I don't think) the pass through would be large enough to accommodate that many pairs. I KNOW that the pass through in my 7-series was not large enough for that. So, at least in my case, I simply fold down one seat if I am skiing by myself or with my 2 boys (older one sits up front and younger gets the rear with the arm rest) and then we can either toss the 3 pairs of skis in the folded-down area and the boot bags and such in the rest of the rear or we simply throw the trailer-hitch mounted ski rack on the rear and head up that way.

In any case, I (too) had thought that the pass through would have been nice but I have not missed it and I don't think that you will either.

'12 X5d Sapphire/Black/Bamboo, Sport (ZAP), Premium (ZPP) & Premium Sound(ZPS) packages: 20" 214's, OEM Hitch
'11 Victory Ness Cross Country!!!
GONE - '06 750Li Sapphire Black/Creme&Black (Loadeddddd)
Old 02-17-2013, 01:44 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
We have the passthrough, but when we have up to 3 in the car, we just fold down the right side seat. Much easier than messing with the ski bag: unfolding it, losing the center armrest, drying it out afterward, etc.

When we have more that 3 in the car, we just throw the Thule rack on the roof.

Here's my advice: How good was your deal vs. the February programs? If you got a great deal, the grief and aggravation of refusing delivery and ordering a new unit just isn't worth it. Buy a roof rack, use it when needed, then flip it on Craigslist. OTOH if you find that you could actually save $$$ with the February programs, re-order and plan on alternative transportation for the next 6 weeks.

BTW, pretty awesome dealer to let you use a loaner. Pretty much unprecedented.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 Premium
I have an early build 2011 (June 2010 in service date) that has the Cold Weather package (headlight washers, heated steering wheel, rear seat climate control) that DOES NOT have the the pass through.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:36 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
We have the passthrough, but when we have up to 3 in the car, we just fold down the right side seat. Much easier than messing with the ski bag: unfolding it, losing the center armrest, drying it out afterward, etc.

Here's my advice: How good was your deal vs. the February programs? If you got a great deal, the grief and aggravation of refusing delivery and ordering a new unit just isn't worth it. Buy a roof rack, use it when needed, then flip it on Craigslist. OTOH if you find that you could actually save $$$ with the February programs, re-order and plan on alternative transportation for the next 6 weeks.

Agreed.

You may want to verify, but it looks like you can add the passthrough to standard trim:

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...driveLine=6471

I havent really looked hard, but from a logic viewpoint, you'd want to make once seat frame, one upholstry package and have it work with and without the passthrough option...

Of course, when was BMW logical?

GL

A
Old 02-18-2013, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post

Agreed. I have never heard of it either. Although they have my trade(2012 S4) so its not like they aren't making any $ on the deal. As the time for delivery grew near I decided I no longer wanted to deal with selling my car privately. I tried for 6 + weeks with little to no success and a stream of endless lowball offers.. I ended up with prices from the 2 local Audi dealers and went back to BMW dealer and told them what I had. They had offered 4K less than what we finally settled on. At that point I asked if they rented cars and the GM said "no, not set up to do that, why do you ask?" I told him I was going to be w/out a car for a month to which he replied that he would put me in a loaner for that time period. The loaner turned out to be a loaded 2013 528xdrive with 500 miles the ODO. At the end of the day, the trade price was the same as I had it listed privately. About $500 less than the local audi dealer would pay me and $1000 more than the other local Audi dealer would pay me so I feel I came out ok. I drove a new S4 for 19 months and it cost me less than 6K out of pocket.

My deal on the X5 is 1.5 K over invoice including maco and training, and then subtracting the 1.5K Dec holiday cash and 3K eco credit. I talked to the dealer yesterday and they will let me re-order and the car will be here in 6-8 weeks if I want. They don't have an available allocation slot for a D until start of March. But I will have to return the loaner if I re-order as they can't afford it to be out for almost 3 months and a few thousand miles. I have already put over 1000 miles on it. I completely understand their position. They have taken great care of me and it has honestly been the best car buying experience i have ever had. As it stands, I'm not going to refuse delivery for the pass through. I thought about it and I agree with your points. I already have a Thule carrier that I can put on top when more than 3 people go up to the mountain. When I only have myself and a friend, the 60/40 split will suffice to throw my boards in the back with no problem at all. Am I bummed I don't have? A little. Is it necessary to have it? I don't think so.

Last edited by jonnyz1245; 02-18-2013 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Agreed.

You may want to verify, but it looks like you can add the passthrough to standard trim:

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...driveLine=6471

I havent really looked hard, but from a logic viewpoint, you'd want to make once seat frame, one upholstry package and have it work with and without the passthrough option...

Of course, when was BMW logical?

GL

A

Looking at that makes me think I will take a pass on the retrofit. $500+ for a hole to put my skis through? I can buy a new set of boards for that $$.

BMW is not being logical here but guess we can't expect them be. Why make things easier and make sense when you can make them more difficult?

Ha!
Old 02-18-2013, 10:51 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyz1245 View Post
Looking at that makes me think I will take a pass on the retrofit. $500+ for a hole to put my skis through? I can buy a new set of boards for that $$.

BMW is not being logical here but guess we can't expect them be. Why make things easier and make sense when you can make them more difficult?

Ha!
Give it a while, you could probably pick up that part for $50 from an X5 that gets hit mid-ship. Or swap it with someone doing a lease return or trade in.

If it becomes a big deal. IMO it wont

GL

A
Old 02-19-2013, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
Give it a while, you could probably pick up that part for $50 from an X5 that gets hit mid-ship. Or swap it with someone doing a lease return or trade in.

If it becomes a big deal. IMO it wont

GL

A
Thanks! Yeah, not a big deal at all. I used the one on my Audi probably 10 times in 6 years. The rest of the time stuff went in the cargo box on the roof. I won't miss it.

If I can find one for $50 I will buy it. The heated steering wheel too

So where would I have the best luck trying to find parts like this? I called a couple salvage yards and they couldn't source that particular part. I wonder where all those flooded X5's went from Sandy? I bet there is a lot of usable stuff in some those cars.