Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Received an inital quote on 328i lease? is the offer good?

I need your expert advice. This is my 1st car/deal/lease/bmw~
I contacted a dealer via email and asked for an initial quote. Is below a good deal?
Should I be asking what the MF is? what #'s should i ask for and where can I negotiate? I also have 868 credit score. is it also possible to get a better deal with goods credit score? Any advice on this jersey girl would be much appreciated!

2013 328i RWD
Luxury
Premium
Rear Camera
Heated Seats
moonroof
30k miles

36 month lease
$0 down
$483 a month
Taxes and Inceptions Due at Signing
Ads by Google
Old 10-16-2012, 08:09 PM
BMW Platinum Visa® Member

Mein Auto: BMW L328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacific_elle View Post
I contacted a dealer via email and asked for an initial quote. Is below a good deal?
Should I be asking what the MF is? what #'s should i ask for and where can I negotiate? I also have 868 credit score. is it also possible to get a better deal with goods credit score? Any advice on this jersey girl would be much appreciated!

2013 328i RWD
Luxury
Premium
Rear Camera
Heated Seats
moonroof
30k miles

36 month lease
$0 down
$483 a month
That sounds like a good deal, but need your MSRP to confirm. As a point of reference from a fellow NJ'er:

2013 328i RWD
Luxury
Premium
Technology
Lighting
PDC
Rear Camera
Heated Seats

MSRP $48,800

36/12,000
$2500 Down

I pay $539 per month.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®
Old 10-16-2012, 08:22 PM

Thanks for your quick reply boltjaM3s

My MSRP is 43,095. Your MSRP is much higher than mine... maybe mine needs to come down a bit. Fellow jersey-ian, do you mind recommending me a dealer in nj? If I live near by I'll definitely go check it out.
thanks!
Pacific_elle
Old 10-16-2012, 08:56 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Mein Auto: 2013 AH3 Lux Line
Quote:

2013 328i RWD
Luxury
Premium
Rear Camera
Heated Seats
moonroof
30k miles

36 month lease
$0 down
$483 a month

Are you sure the 43k are MSRP. I think that is the price he is giving you (with those options - see note below - MSRP should be $44,250) so he might only be giving you 1k under MSRP. If I am right seems to me 483 would be payment with taxes for a cap cost of 43k with a 2750 downpayment (which is pretty much the deal in BMWusa.com

What you also need to know what the inceptions are and how much they are charging you. Are taxes due upfront in NJ as they are in Texas?

Inception costs typically are:
-origination fee: $725 but some dealers mark it up by up to 200. Try to keep it to 725.
-documentation fee. This one varies a lot and it is pure profit for the dealer. California is capped to $80 (IIRC) but if seen quotes as high as $599
-Title: 40 to 50
Since you are talking MSRP the following fees should be included MACO and training.
Be careful these fees can turn a good deal into a terrible one if you don't pay attention.

I think he might be using the base MF of 0.00135 (but he can try to jack it up if you credit score comes low)

What I don't like about your quote is the the way it is presented. According to me:
- moonroof is part of the premium package and not a separated option (when premium is selected)
- rear view camera also adds the park distance control.

Finally you should REALLY consider adding the lighting pakage.... those demons with corona DRLs are s must

Get other quotes I think you can do a bit better.

Current car: BMW AH3 2013 - Black Sapphire-Saddle brown-ZLL-ZPP-ZTP-ZDA-HK
also 2012 Odyssey.

Past cars: Civic, Mazda6, Accord coupe, Accord Sedan.
BMW CCA Member
Old 10-16-2012, 09:32 PM

Quote:
Thanks for your quick reply boltjaM3s

My MSRP is 43,095. Your MSRP is much higher than mine... maybe mine needs to come down a bit. Fellow jersey-ian, do you mind recommending me a dealer in nj? If I live near by I'll definitely go check it out.
thanks!
Pacific_elle
Park Ave BMW, Rochelle Park, NJ

It's near Paramus in Bergen County. These guys don't screw around. They want your business a won't let you leave without a car.

BJ

2013 BMW L328i Luxury Sedan | Premium Package | Technology Package | Lighting Package | Steptronic® | PDC | Apps
Mineral Grey Metallic | Saddle Leather | Anthracite | Camera | Sirius | Rolex | Trophy Wife | Beach House | Status Package®

Last edited by boltjaM3s; 10-16-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:33 PM

Nearest one from me is Edison which I was about to check out. If I don't feel good about my deal I guess I'll just walk out, drive up that extra mile to check out Park Ave in Rochelle Park. tks!
Old 10-17-2012, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
Are you sure the 43k are MSRP. I think that is the price he is giving you (with those options - see note below - MSRP should be $44,250) so he might only be giving you 1k under MSRP. If I am right seems to me 483 would be payment with taxes for a cap cost of 43k with a 2750 downpayment (which is pretty much the deal in BMWusa.com

What you also need to know what the inceptions are and how much they are charging you. Are taxes due upfront in NJ as they are in Texas?

Inception costs typically are:
-origination fee: $725 but some dealers mark it up by up to 200. Try to keep it to 725.
-documentation fee. This one varies a lot and it is pure profit for the dealer. California is capped to $80 (IIRC) but if seen quotes as high as $599
-Title: 40 to 50
Since you are talking MSRP the following fees should be included MACO and training.
Be careful these fees can turn a good deal into a terrible one if you don't pay attention.

I think he might be using the base MF of 0.00135 (but he can try to jack it up if you credit score comes low)

What I don't like about your quote is the the way it is presented. According to me:
- moonroof is part of the premium package and not a separated option (when premium is selected)
- rear view camera also adds the park distance control.

Finally you should REALLY consider adding the lighting pakage.... those demons with corona DRLs are s must

Get other quotes I think you can do a bit better.
@thegandalf

thanks for the detailed reply. I wrote back to the dealer with questions. Hopefully he'll come back with better numbers!
Old 10-19-2012, 11:59 AM

got new numbers:

mrsp:$44,245 at MF being 135.
$0 down and my total inception cost w/taxes are $3031.09.

Should I take the deal? :/
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F30 328i Sport
Quote:
got new numbers:

that doesnt make sense?

if you are putting no money down(cap cost) then total inceptions+ first month should not be more than 1200 and even thats a lot. my total inceptions and first month came to 900 bucks.
Old 10-19-2012, 12:56 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
that doesnt make sense?

if you are putting no money down(cap cost) then total inceptions+ first month should not be more than 1200 and even thats a lot. my total inceptions and first month came to 900 bucks.
Do you know exactly what you paid on inceptions? Can you list an itemized list? This 900 sounds too great.

Quote:
got new numbers:

OP,

Can you ask them to itemize the inception costs?

MSPR for Luxury Line (ZLL), Premium Pkg (ZPP), Rear view camera (3AG) with PDC (508) sounds exactly right at $44,245.

You now need to negotiate the real sales price to find out if it is a good deal (at MSRP it wouldn't be a good deal). Total invoice for this configuation is $40,890.00.

Some people will tell you to aim for only $500 over invoice (which could be doable), but keep in mind the itemized inception costs (which in the end are pilled to the invoice pricing...)

Inceptions fees could be (on top of first month payment):
- Title fee = $40 to $50. Let's say $41

- Aquisition fee = make sure they don't charge more than $725

- Security deposit= you might be stock with this. - I am actually unclear about this one, if seen it listed as $750, but I am wondering if it should equal one monthly payment (maybe rounded up to the next $50?) Can some one chime in? Right now I am going to asume $750

- Documentation fee: Some people say that they've paid very little. California caps it at $80 I believe. I've seen quotes at $599. Overall I would add up in my mind to the over invoice amount. Personally I feel ok paying up $1,000 for both So lets assume $500

So this makes: $41 + $725 + $750 +$500 + $montly payment => $2016 + first month
So your quote still seems about a $500 too high (once you factor in the first payment)

The main thing missing are
- at what price you are buying the car. Lests assume invoice + 500 => 41390.
- residual%: lets say 62% (36months, 10k miles)

With this number your payments would be: $476 (give or take) + tax

If you add 7 MSDs (to drive down you MF - and remember this is money you get back at the end of the lease, as opposed to downpayments), this would cost you another $3,850 (if you can afford it) and drive down the MF to .00086.
The monthly payments would then by $442 (give or take + tax).

So asuming my numbers are correct and acceptable to you (a lot of people might chime in that I am too lax with my $1k over invoice (including doc fees) - I guess they are better negotiators than me) your final numbers would be:

With MSDs Inceptions : $6,308 + tax on first payment (so less than current quote)
With MSDs Monthly Payment $442 + tax

Without MSDs Inceptions : $2,491.00 + tax on first payment (so less than current quote)
Without MSDs Monthly Payment $476 + tax => This kind of close to BJ's deal - Just remember he has the lighting package)

BJ, did you skip the MSDs?

And really, really consider getting the Xenons (my previous posts read Demons thanks the autocorrection ).
I hope I didn't make it to confusing (I am known to over-complicate things)

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member

Last edited by thegandalf; 10-19-2012 at 01:15 PM. Reason: formatted to be more readable.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 AM

Not confusing at all, appreciate the break down.
I received new numbers with breakdown. I think I might have posted a wrong number on my inception fees earlier. That was for a model w/out any added options.
The new number is higher so based on your comment above, it s seems like my offer needs to come down.
I contacted another dealer, hopefully their # s be more favorable.

$308.50 NJ Registration
$398.00 Doc Fee
$95.00 Dealer Prep
$725.00 Bank Fee
$1,300.73 NJ Sales Tax
$482.33 First Payment
---------------------------
$3,309.56 Due at signing
Old 10-20-2012, 07:46 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Actually those numbers are starting to look pretty decent. Dealer prep is pure profit for them so it looks like $1000 invoice.
the only question now is about the registration fees but maybe NJ is more expensive than GA?

Keep in mind that although you want to negotiate as hard as you can, the dealer is also thereof to make some profit (which is ok in my book). I've heard of cases where people negotiate so hard that they fail to maintain a good relationship with the dealer an then got all sorts of crappy loaner cars...

It looks like you are getting closer to that 328i! Good luck and not to be pushy, did you consider the lighting pkg?

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-22-2012, 07:03 AM

I just looked into the lighting package. Though it seems like only additional $900, I think I have already added too many options than I can afford. Here's my thought, maybe I should get rid of the premium package, add the moonroof separately and then add the lighting package? Rear view camera (3AG) with PDC package I definitely need, since I suck at parking. Trying to weigh more on the NEEDS with a touch of WANTS.
Old 10-22-2012, 07:12 AM
I probably dislike you...

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport
Quote:
I just looked into the lighting package. Though it seems like only additional $900, I think I have already added too many options than I can afford. Here's my thought, maybe I should get rid of the premium package, add the moonroof separately and then add the lighting package? Rear view camera (3AG) with PDC package I definitely need, since I suck at parking. Trying to weigh more on the NEEDS with a touch of WANTS.
Get the lighting for sure. Also just choose either the rear view or the PDC. Having the PDC myself, I cannot see any need for the backup camera.

If you don't care about leather, sat radio, lumbar support, or comfort access then premium is probably not needed. But if you want leather + sunroof I would pay a bit more for the prem package.

Check out BMWconfig.com for a nice online configurator which also happens to give you the invoice pricing on the vehicle.
2002 325xi (Retired, very much missed)
Old 10-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Hello,

If you're going for the Lux Line, I believe the prem pkg is required. I also definitely suggest the Xenons. Difference is literally night and day.

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 10-22-2012, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3kidd View Post
Hello,

If you're going for the Lux Line, I believe the prem pkg is required. I also definitely suggest the Xenons. Difference is literally night and day.
Premium is not a requirement for the Luxury line.

Quote:
That's what I'd do if I were you. The Lighting is a must-have, you'll really regret not having it. PDC and Rear Camera another functional must-have for the parking-challenged.

Premium is pricey and has some elements that don't sound useful for you.

....also....

Invest 10 minutes in a phone call to the boys at Park Ave BMW, give them your existing deal and there's a good chance you'll wind up keeping Premium and getting Lighting for free. BMW makes great cars but their dealer network is a terrible web of confusion and inconsistency. You need another dealer or two as leverage. Even the thought of losing your sale may incentivize your current dealer to throw you a free option to keep your business, especially this late in the month.

BJ

Old 10-22-2012, 07:43 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltjaM3s View Post

Invest 10 minutes in a phone call to the boys at Park Ave BMW, give them your existing deal and there's a good chance you'll wind up keeping Premium and getting Lighting for free. BMW makes great cars but their dealer network is a terrible web of confusion and inconsistency. You need another dealer or two as leverage. Even the thought of losing your sale may incentivize your current dealer to throw you a free option to keep your business, especially this late in the month.

BJ
+1. Be agrresive and first of try to get both. Only once you know no dealer will budge, you start taking things that are not that important to you.

Not only the end of the month is here, but it's also year end, and there is a chance BMW might put some money towards deals, that might cover the difference.

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-22-2012, 07:45 AM

Mein Auto: 328i / EK Civic
Quote:
Sorry, was going by BMWConfig.com

2013 F30 328i Baseline - Tech/Lighting/Shades/MoonRoof/Heated Seats
Old 10-22-2012, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi 2013
i just leased mine from morristownbmw

552 per month

328xi 2013
navigation
tech
heat seats
moon roof
mineral white

it was actually 528 but i got the lease edge protection for 700.00... so it comes to 552 per month....

i desperately wanted the rear view camera...and the lights...but couldnt afford that..
------

is this a good deal? or did i get gipped? reading other peoples post i feel like i should have at least gotten the rear or lighting for free...but my dealer was very firm on the price

Last edited by ojasray; 10-22-2012 at 07:58 AM. Reason: adding more details...
Old 10-22-2012, 08:49 AM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojasray View Post
i just leased mine from morristownbmw

552 per month

328xi 2013
navigation
tech
heat seats
moon roof
mineral white

it was actually 528 but i got the lease edge protection for 700.00... so it comes to 552 per month....

i desperately wanted the rear view camera...and the lights...but couldnt afford that..
------

is this a good deal? or did i get gipped? reading other peoples post i feel like i should have at least gotten the rear or lighting for free...but my dealer was very firm on the price
It's hard to tell without more details, but:
Did you put any money down? If you did, that doesn't sound like a good deal to me... (is it a 36 months, 12k miles?) What is this edge protection for? I think the dealer made another easy $28 from you.

I you look at BJ's deal: 2013 328i, Luxury, Premium, Technology, Lighting, PDC,Rear Camera,Heated Seats $2500 Down => $539 per month. (36/12,000).

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

Quote:

That's what I'd do if I were you. The Lighting is a must-have, you'll really regret not having it. PDC and Rear Camera another functional must-have for the parking-challenged.

Premium is pricey and has some elements that don't sound useful for you.

....also....

BJ
ok you all got me. I'm getting the lighting package. How can i not get it if it's a "night and day" difference!
Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

You won't regret it.

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-22-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegandalf View Post
+1. Be agrresive and first of try to get both. Only once you know no dealer will budge, you start taking things that are not that important to you.

Not only the end of the month is here, but it's also year end, and there is a chance BMW might put some money towards deals, that might cover the difference.
"Be Agressive"? I'm the total opposite. Just thinking of going to the dealer this weekend by myself makes me want to puke~ Thanks guys for all your comments/advice. knowledge is power! :P
Old 10-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Liked when BMW was in F1

Quote:
"Be Agressive"? I'm the total opposite. Just thinking of going to the dealer this weekend by myself makes me want to puke~ Thanks guys for all your comments/advice. knowledge is power! :P
I know it can be hard... try emails first then maybe follow up with a call make it clear that if they want you to go over there you need your questions answered first and their best offer presented. It is easier to be aggressive on an email. It's easier to walk out of an email.
Just remember being aggressive doesn't mean being rude. Perhaps a better term is be firm. You already have a descent offer, so now you just need to get them to give up a little more and meet you in the middle (but closer to your side).

also 2012 Odyssey.

BMW CCA Member
Old 10-22-2012, 08:46 PM
Woodswatchco

Mein Auto: 2013 328i 6sp manual
I went to the leading dealer in Tampa and was honest with them. I told them I'd never leased a car before. They hit me with a full retail, plus all dealer fees quote. I then went to another smaller dealership 20 miles away. I told them I was shopping price. With no negotiation, they offered me $2000 off sticker price and another $600 in whatever the other dealer was charging me. Total discount was $2600. It lowered my payment from $680 to $560 with only $1200 total out of pocket for a 2013 328i, M package, estoril blue, beige leatherette, Bang and Olufson. $42,700 was the full msrp before any discounts. Shop around. No dealers in the area would give me a quote by phone or email. I had to go in person. Such a pain in the butt. I'm in the jewelry business. If someone called and asked for a price on a brand name item we sell and we told them they had to come in first, they'd laugh and hang up the phone!