Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 11-14-2012, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3
2012 X3 Damaged Suspension - Help

Hello, a new 2012 X3 owner and looking for some advice. We have had our X3 for about 1 year.

A few days ago, two warning lights came on:

4x4 Chassis Malfunction Stabilization
Tire Pressure Monitor Not Working

So we took it in thinking is was a sensor issue. BMW dealer is saying that there is major suspension damage due to impact on the front passenger tire. They have estimated $8000.00 in repairs! Including the mandatory replacement of the steering box (3k alone).

Thing is, neither one of us hit anything. There is some minor curb rash on the rim, but that's it. No other tire damage, no dents, etc. They have told us there is no body damage, all the damage is mechanical.

My question is, if neither one of us remembers hitting a curb with any significant impact, how could this happen? How can they even prove that the minor curb rash is associated with enough impact to create such damage?

Is it not something that should be covered under a warranty of some sort?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Ads by Google
Old 11-14-2012, 10:25 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
I would take it to another dealer to get a second opinion. Something doesn't sound right here. Even if it is out of your way to drive to another dealer, in this case I think it would be worth it.
Old 11-14-2012, 12:59 PM

Mein Auto: X3
Hmmmm...

Two things stand out in this issue:

1) that warning on I drive
2) the steering rack replacement

Both have been reported recently as issues with multiple members on the f25...including my parents 12 x3 that is at the dealer for the same issue as of yesterday.

I would take your car to another dealer for a second opinion. That diagnosis...at least being out of pocket doesn't seem correct.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 X3 28i
That sounds really fishy.

Did the lights come on while driving or when you started the car?

If it happend while driving, you sure would know about that much damage.

Does the car handle any differently than it did before?
Old 11-14-2012, 11:11 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X3
The light came on shortly after starting the car, but while driving. There was definatly a pull in the steering wheel after the lights came on, but we haven't driven it since dropping it off at the dealership as they say it's unsafe to drive now.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Second opinion -- even if you have to have it flatbedded there. Also, if they maintain it was caused by an impact to your front wheel (collision!) your insurance company will cover it -- at the least they will send an adjuster to inspect the damage and if they do not find that to be the cause -- then that is more ammunition to use to keep BMW's feet to the fire and fix it! I think there may also be something to the reports of rack failure and other front end problems that are occuring way too soon IMHO.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 AM

Mein Auto: R1150R+
My insurance company adjuster is a former skilled trades guy that I know personally. He could view the situation with that background & make a determination, however many that write the estimates lack that background. Still, as advised, the insurer would be a place to ask for recc's. I think a skilled euro independent would also be advised-the more informed opinions you get the more you will know. Having done much in the area of AB repair I can tell you the info you have now may lack credibility even though it came from the dealer.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:42 PM

Mein Auto: M5
what´s the name of your BMW dealer? And when did you bougt your car?