Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 08-04-2013, 03:09 PM

Mein Auto: 520i touring
Effects of incorrect oil in 525d

Hey guys. Bought this car with a few gremlins. I'm needing to know what symptoms of incorrect oil in a diesel would be? And is there anyway of being able to tell?

Also got a rough idle and slight misfire throuout. Tried injector cleaner did nothing! Tried premium diesel for a few weeks still no difference. No eml or idrive warnings. Alot of vibration through gear stick and exhaust shakes alot with the misfire.
Snap on said misfire cylinder 1-6 and glow plug control module. Had the module changed. Error codes have gone with that but still running rough and now no misfire codes showing up.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Advertisement
Old 08-04-2013, 04:09 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 545i
You would never experience any short term effects by using the wrong oil.

I assume you or the previous owner is using a synthetic motor oil. Some of the synthetics are formulated with additives to combat the accumulation of soot and sludge as well as higher pressures and temperatures inherent to diesel engines. However, if you were to use almost any synthetic oil you would feel no apparent difference in how the car runs. It would just be that over a period of time it would not do as good a job as another oil blended specifically for diesels.

However, what could affect the engine long-term (not in weeks or months but years) is not changing the oil often enough. The additives in oil are primarily sacrificial (get used up) and when they are gone damage can be done to the engine. Your engine problems could be neglect of the engine oil over a long period of time, though it is more likely something else.

I recommend changing your oil every 5K miles unless you do almost all highway driving, then you could increase your drain intervals to every 7-8K miles. Oil does not age by miles but hours of operation. The faster your average speed the less engine hours on the oil. If you don't drive much your oil should be changed at least once per year. Lots of short trips are also hard on oil as water accumulates in the oil because the engine doesn't reach full operating temperature.

Bottom line is oil is cheap compared to engine problems. Change it often!
Old 08-04-2013, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 520i touring
Effects of incorrect oil in 525d

Thanks. It was the previous owner who had clearly skimped on servicing the car.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-04-2013, 11:02 PM

Mein Auto: A Car
As he said, you will probably not notice anything at all in the short term. Just to make sure, i would suggest you to verify and change most of the fluids in your vehicle as preventive maintenance. (Diff, Breaks, Coolant, Power Steering, Engine Oil etc.) These are the easy ones.

Last edited by UltimateDriving; 08-04-2013 at 11:24 PM.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateDriving View Post
As he said, you will probably not notice anything thing at all in the short term. Just to make sure, i would suggest you to verify and change most of the fluids in your vehicle as preventive maintenance. (Diff, Breaks, Coolant, Power Steering, Engine Oil etc.) These are the easy ones.
Very good point. Assume nothing and service the entire automobile's fluids.

We should also bring up at this point one of the Achilles' heels of the E60 which is the coolant system. Heat and age attack most of the components. The water pump, thermostat, coolant expansion tank, hoses, belts and vent tube all should be changed if you have reach 75K miles and the records suggest these never have been changed.

If you don't have records then assume they haven't been done and change out the entire cooling system. If you are a DIY the parts are in the neighborhood of $400-$500 but it will be the best money you can spend to insure the integrity of the engine.