Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension

Tire Rack's Tires, Wheels, Brakes & Suspension
Discuss everything about wheels, tires, suspension and brakes for your BMW.

Sponsored by The Tirerack. Moderated by Gary@Tirerack.com

Old 11-06-2012, 10:46 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 328 Sports Wagon
Run Flat replacement?

Hello everyone,

This is my first post on Bimmerfest and I'm happy I found this forum!!

I recently had a nail on my runflat on my 328 Sports wagon and took it to the BMW dealer. They told me to replace the entire tire. The nail went straight in and I thought they could patch it.

Are they right with replacing the tire (I'm aware of the legal issues) or could they have patched it? Does anyone have the same experience??

Thanks,

Patrick
Virginia Beach
Advertisement
Old 11-06-2012, 11:23 AM
Administrator

Mein Auto: Ti Silver 03 M3
Welcome to Bimmerfest! I've moved your thread over to the wheel and tire forum. Our resident expert Gary from the Tire Rack should be able to answer your question.

Tim
Old 11-12-2012, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2008 528i Sport
Replacing Run Flat Tire

Although I believe a full replacement is recommended, I have had a couple of run flats on my cars repaired after a nail puncture with no problems afterward. It may depend where on the tire the nail punctured it. Dealers will always tell you to replace them.

Last edited by bmrboy2008; 11-12-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-13-2012, 04:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
You will find tons of discussion on this topic with a quick search.

Generally speaking: A bunch of people have successfully patched a RFT tire when the puncture was well away from the sidewalls and they didn't drive on the tire while flat. The last bit is important since it damages the sidewall. Major tire chains and dealers will not patch RFT tires due to liability since they have no way to really know if the sidewall is damaged. You may have more success at small/independent tire shops.
Old 11-13-2012, 10:21 AM
The King of Common Sense

Send a message via Skype™ to Dave 330i
Mein Auto:
run flat tires cannot be used if it is flat? Is that an oxymoron?

Swim upstream. Go the other way. Ignore the conventional wisdom. If everybody is doing it one way, there’s a good chance you can find your niche by going exactly in the opposite direction", Sam Walton.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:03 AM

Mein Auto: 2010 335i Cabrio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave 330i View Post
run flat tires cannot be used if it is flat? Is that an oxymoron?
Are you just trying to be funny or do you truly not understand my post?

In case it's the latter: Of course you can drive on a run flat tire. Just realize that by doing so you're lessening the chances of finding a place willing to patch the tire.