Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E46 (1999 - 2006)

E46 (1999 - 2006)
The fourth generation 3 Series (E46 chassis) was introduced in 1999 and set the standard for engineering and performance during it's years of production including being named to Car & Driver's 10 best list every one of those years! ! -- View the E46 Wiki

Old 11-14-2012, 06:14 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 330xi, m/t
HK subwoofer wiring

Hi all,

I just bought a used complete HK set to replace the standard "hi-fi" on my car (all speakers and the amplifier replacement). I've replaced all the speakers except the rear deck. So far the amp swap is fine, and all the speakers work fine. Aside from needing some mounts to put the HK subwoofers in to replace the regular 6.5 (or 6.25?) mid basses, i noticed that the HK subs have a pre-amp on it, with a 10 pin plug and a 2 pin plug.

I've searched and searched and I cannot seem to find a wire or plug for this. I can get one on eBay, but there's only one right now for $50 I could just wire it myself I suppose, but I don't even know where they are supposed to go!

I can't find a part number from realoem either. Does anyone know where I can get this plug? I am guessing that those wires go straight to the plug that fits into the amplifier and perhaps that is why.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 09:59 PM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
The thing about these cars is that the wiring harness is custom made for each car. Since yours didn't come with the H/K system, it won't have the extra wiring you need. There is a thread here or at Fanatics about retrofitting the H/K system to a non-h/k car. It will have all the answers you need... just search for it or there may be a direct link in the WIKI.

True story... I didn't order my car with premium pkg so it did not come with an auto-dim rear view mirror. I purchased a used one and had to wire in switched 12v and ground to the connector so it would work. A foot of wiring and 2 contacts... no, you may not have that if you didn't order the $700 option pkg!

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 11-15-2012, 05:46 AM

Hahah, wow that's pretty ridiculous. I do have an extra wiring harness that is part of the wiring harness that hooks in to the amp. I think it's like a 6 pin and then a 4 pin - probably has something to do with the 6 cd changer (which I don't have). Weird that out of the only wiring harnesses they left in, that was it.

Well I did search this site and some of the other e46 forums, and it seems most of the people who tried doing this gave up, or used a DIY site on EarthLink that has been down since 2005!

I suppose just taking the wiring diagram to the 10 pin on the pre-amp is enough to figure it out. And I am going to guess that the 2 pin plug probably goes from the left speaker (the one with the pre-amp) to the right speaker for the power; i think the right speaker has a separate signal.

If I can figure this out i'll post back on here. Thanks
Old 11-15-2012, 07:43 AM
Is it Trackday yet?

Mein Auto: 05 330ci 6MT
Do you have a Bentley Manual? I won't have time today, but can look tomorrow to see if I can help with the wiring diagram... if it's in there.

Any u-pull-it junk yards around you?

"You drive like old people $#@%... slow and sloppy!" - George Carlin
Old 11-15-2012, 11:27 AM

No, no bentley manual. I really should get myself one.

I'll look around for one of those junkyards. I really don't think this will be that complicated. It just makes things easier when you have the proper plug though!
Old 11-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2003 530i
Go online and search for "BMW WDS". They should have the wiring diagrams you need.

Sold - 2003 325i Sedan Japanrot 5 Speed 8k Xenon Headlamps Build Date 11/02