Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 11-13-2012, 10:56 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 740i
start, no start, driving me nuts

my 95 7 ran really good on friday night....reached in to start it sunday night and it started then died. would not restart. the motor sounded really funny when i tried to restart it too, like there was no compression. i thought i had broke a timing chain, but no. thought i had a tech read the computer for codes, but it turns out he did not. got to chasing the no start, and did a compression test on left bank. 100, 80, 60, 40 lbs front back. not good. however, car ran perfectly, no bad idle, and showed me getting 23mpg a week before. absolutely no problem with how it ran prior to no start. so now i have motor torn down, head off, and am now wondering if there is a sensor in the car that would prevent it from starting, or shut it down after it had started. i am furious with my wrench for not scanning the car!! im checking numbers for the non recalled block number, so im probably heading towards replacing motor. however, i would also consider rebuilding heads if motor is not nikosil. am really lost as to why it quit and then would not start. i have read hundreds of forums, and they help, but not nailing it down for me. any ideas would be appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 11-14-2012, 06:39 AM

ok, i know this is complicated. lets start like this....is there any safety feature on the car that will keep if from starting ?
Old 11-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 750iL
Couple of things come to mind. Starting then stopping is a typical fuel problem, and this is a 95 car - has the fuel filter been changed? The engine might be starved of fuel. A failing camshaft sensor will alow the car to start, run for a bit, then stalls. A couple of turns on the key, it re-starts, on so on.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:22 PM

i dont think so

no running issues in the previous month. i felt like the sound of the engine had changed dramatically after it quit running. the sound of it as it turned over that is. i tried for a couple days to restart it. even wore the battery down cranking on it. i gave it some starting fluid as a buddy cranked also. ....nothing. not even a sputter. my initial reaction to the sound of the motor was that i had either broke a timing chain, or broke the crank. it there a module that retards or advances the timing so as not to allow a start?
Old 11-15-2012, 01:48 AM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
I hope this isn't a egg sucking lesson for granny. 1) Do a compression check again and get some numbers. They should all be 120psi minimum. If not see your wrench with a writ. 2) Pull off start wire from starter motor, join a gauge to the fuel rail(s) and get a mate to hold the key in P3 (start). The pump(s) will run and give you a pressure reading. If you are about 40psi it's good. If not see your wrench with another writ. 3) Pull a plug wire (or coil pack) reconnect starter wire and check for spark when engine turning over. If you have a spark then it's a basic timing issue - cam and sensors out of sync. If no spark it's either crank sensor problems or EWS related. Could be as simple as recoding a key, multi-plug half out, blown fuse, blown relay, bad sensor or even no fuel (Yes I got caught). If it's the EWS box then I won't even pretend I can fix that!!
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 PM

i like the way your thinking daddy-o

thanks for all. i cant recheck the left bank, mainly because my head is holding down paper on my desk. that thing is cool....i just sit and stare at it sometimes.
i had a good fuel pressure test. spark about knocked me on my butt. im down to either rebuidling the motor i have, i need to check some block numbers....or purchasing a new motor. i just wish i knew why it quit running. i have never been around a motor that shut off becuase of lack of compression. thanks for your thought process. :thumbup
ive always wanted to build a motor...maybe nows my chance
Old 11-15-2012, 08:08 PM
Old School

Mein Auto: E23;E30;E38;E32;E34 +
Done more builds than I care to remember. PM me if you get stuck. If I can't help I have mates who will know.

A thought on EWS - I think that if you get dash lights and cranking then EWS good. As I said I will not pretend to know about that box other than its a PAIN!!
Previous:
E21 318i; E30 318i; E32 735iL; E34 535i; E38 730iL; E53 4.4i

Last edited by BMWFatherFigure; 11-15-2012 at 08:10 PM.