Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-15-2012, 01:05 AM
DIY lifestyle.

Mein Auto: 2003 530i Sport Premium
Will this bulb work for interior & plate LEDs?

Hi guys,

I'm currently in the market to switch out my puddle (4), glovebox (1), trunk (2), and license plate (2) lights for LED replacements. I guess my question is: Can I purchase 9 of these and be done with it? They appear to have a better build quality than the other ones I've seen and have resistors built-in.

SuperBrightLEDs Link

Before anyone starts directing me to other threads, I'd first like to say the most valuable resource I've found for answering this question is the following:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=559675

However, I've looked at the Ziza interior LED replacement guide for the E39 and they show 36 mm festoons for everything I want to change except the trunk light that isn't on the lid (they say its a 9-chip wedge type). However, in the link above, both from user testimony and in the bulb chart, the bulb for the trunk lights is the same 36 mm festoon (64111/6418).

I am not interested in a kit for all the bulb replacements, just these 9 specific lights.

Thanks!
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 01:28 AM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 2003 540i/6 //m-tech
Of the bulbs you listed, only the license plate light requires a resister to fool the monitoring system. All the others are not monitored for bulb failure and can use inexpensive LED replacements. The license plate will require either bulbs with built in resisters or you need to add them or you will get a bulb out warning.
Old 11-15-2012, 12:37 PM
DIY lifestyle.

Mein Auto: 2003 530i Sport Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefwej View Post
Of the bulbs you listed, only the license plate light requires a resister to fool the monitoring system. All the others are not monitored for bulb failure and can use inexpensive LED replacements. The license plate will require either bulbs with built in resisters or you need to add them or you will get a bulb out warning.
I think what caught my eye was the 40 lumens output rating. I don't mind paying extra for the better design. Would these 36mm festoons fit for the 9 places I mentioned? Including the two lights in the trunk.