Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E36 (1991 - 1999)

E36 (1991 - 1999)
The E36 chassis 3-Series BMW was a huge hit among driving enthusiasts from the first moment the car hit the pavement. The E36 won numerous awards over the years it was produced and is still a favorite of many BMW enthusiasts to this day! -- View the E36 Wiki

Old 11-14-2012, 07:34 PM
Vanos Kickin In!!!!

Mein Auto: 94 bmw 325i
Black bumper trims

Hey guys i was wondering since my bumper trims are faded what you guys recommend to do i was thinking of get them dyed or buy a trim restorer from an auto store or just buy new ones or just paint the old ones with plasti dip or black paint.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:48 PM
Warm Leatherette

Mein Auto: 1998 BMW 328is
I always recommend using the Griot's Garage bumper & trim reconditioner. Unlike all the products available at your local big box auto parts store, this one actually contains black dye, which is permanent and will not ever wash off. Mine were quite faded, and I used the Mothers Back to Black initially. Looked good at first, but then looked absolutely terrible after a wash or two. That stuff is just wax based, so it comes right off and you're right back where you started, except a little worse... I then stripped all that gunk off and used the Griot's product. It has been years since I applied it and my trim still looks new. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Before:

2+ years after applying Griot's product:

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
2007 Subaru Impreza 2.5i 5-door
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
For sale: E30/E36 front sway links
For sale: OEM E36 328 catback

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-14-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-14-2012, 08:52 PM
D'oh, You kids!

Mein Auto: 1995 318is / 1993 325is
You could have knocked me over with a feather....I walked into Advance Auto today and they had a great big display of Griot's Garage products! Cheaper prices than on the Griot's website, and no shipping! Yippee!

Ken Kanne, Silverhill, AL, E36 Forum Mod/Craigslist addict/Hoarder of all sorts of stuff
BMW-CCA #441426
1995 318is "Bebe"; 1993 325is "Elvira" 1985 635CSi "Katja" 1984 633CSi "Sylvia"
HAVE I HAD MY MEDS YET?

Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM
Warm Leatherette

Oh man, that's great! Their products are always incredible. They don't seem to sell them in any major Seattle retail stores, which is odd, since their HQ and (beautiful) flagship store is 40 minutes south in Tacoma. It has been a while since I've been inside an Advance, though. Advance and Autozone are both quite far away from me, but O'Reilly is about 1/4 mile away.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO
Old 11-15-2012, 04:26 AM
Vanos Kickin In!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGerman View Post
I always recommend using the Griot's Garage bumper & trim reconditioner. Unlike all the products available at your local big box auto parts store, this one actually contains black dye, which is permanent and will not ever wash off. Mine were quite faded, and I used the Mothers Back to Black initially. Looked good at first, but then looked absolutely terrible after a wash or two. That stuff is just wax based, so it comes right off and you're right back where you started, except a little worse... I then stripped all that gunk off and used the Griot's product. It has been years since I applied it and my trim still looks new. It's pricey, but worth every penny.

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/...ortby=ourPicks

Before:

2+ years after applying Griot's product:
Thanks Zegerman how long does it take to apply. And does it come with the griot's detail kit
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 AM
Warm Leatherette

The only thing it comes with is the bottle of product and the applicator. You will need to source your own surface cleaner to remove any oil/grease/wax residue before applying. Also, I HIGHLY recommend removing all of your trim and dying it while it is not on the car. While their video shows them doing it with the trim on the car, it really shouldn't get on the paint (it's a dye, after all...), and it would take an eternity to mask everything off. It only takes a few minutes to pop off the trim, anyway. Once I got the trim off of my car, I cleaned all the grime buildup on my car which was trapped underneath the trim, and then fully washed each trim piece in my kitchen sink with soap and water.

As far as how long it takes, since my trim was quite faded (and yours likely is, too), I put three coats on my trim to fully darken it back to like-new. I'd say that all told it took me about three hours between removing the trim, cleaning everything, applying multiple coats of dye and waiting for it to dry between coats, and re-installation of the trim.

1998 BMW 328is
1966 Pontiac GTO

Last edited by ZeGerman; 11-15-2012 at 11:24 AM.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:22 AM
Vanos Kickin In!!!!

Ok thanks i will try it out and see if my auto part store sells it