Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)

F30 / F31 / F32 / F33 / F36 (2012 - current)
The sixth generation 3 series, chassis code F30. 2013 model year 328i and 335i sedans now in production. Read the F30 frequently asked question thread for all your basic question and dive into all the details in the ultimate F30 information thread.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2013 335i
Need to Replace Chrome Strip on Bumper

The day after I received redelivery of my ED, someone "tapped" my parked car from behind. The result is a paint chip about a quarter-inch long and very thin, but it goes down to the black plastic and the car is mineral white metallic. Some chrome is knocked off the (Luxury) decorative strip. Maybe it's no big deal but I want the car to be perfect for at least a couple of months. It seems the strip can be replaced without removing the bumper cover. Do I simply reach underneath and remove clips holding it on, or is it more involved than that? I haven't ordered a new strip yet. From reading the forum here, it seems like Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for the paint. I will post some before and after photos. Thanks for any advice.
Advertisement
Old 11-15-2012, 03:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: TopasBlau 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sted View Post
The day after I received redelivery of my ED, someone "tapped" my parked car from behind. The result is a paint chip about a quarter-inch long and very thin, but it goes down to the black plastic and the car is mineral white metallic. Some chrome is knocked off the (Luxury) decorative strip. Maybe it's no big deal but I want the car to be perfect for at least a couple of months. It seems the strip can be replaced without removing the bumper cover. Do I simply reach underneath and remove clips holding it on, or is it more involved than that? I haven't ordered a new strip yet. From reading the forum here, it seems like Dr. Colorchip is the way to go for the paint. I will post some before and after photos. Thanks for any advice.
Ugh... sorry to hear that. Parking in SF is a real downer; people just have no respect for other people's property.

I've used Dr. Color Chip on my car and it works quite well. If it's down to the plastic, it might take a few coats/attempts to get it smooth, but keep at it because it's a decent product. Attached are a couple from some touch-ups I did to the rock chips on my hood. You'll see a few remaining chips... that's just because I got lazy and didn't hit them all the first time.

For future reference, I'd suggest the following for your rear bumper:

http://www.bumperbully.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	602378_4922526145071_1753419366_n.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	349677   Click image for larger version

Name:	28852_4922528425128_9536325_n.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	349678  

2001 325i, ZPP, ZSP, FUN comes standard!
Old 11-18-2012, 10:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 328i Sport iDrive 8s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1sted View Post
Easy to pull off strip - just do it gradually. You can also do an carbon fibre overlay. I ordered one from Bimmian.com on a whim; and surprised how it turned out. It was very inexpensive and eary to install, though easier with strip off car. The look is subtle, but nice and not cheap looking. It also compliments BMW real carbon fibre spoiler